Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Can a CWI certify an asme un-stamped pressure vessel
- - By Ringo (***) Date 04-04-2008 10:58
I am a CWI (12yrs),and I have been contacted by a place that wants me to inspect and certify an ASME section VIII Division 1 unstamped pressure vessel.They have no PQR's or WPS's in place (I can help them with that),and they build these vessels all the time.The vessel is constructed out of stainless and has a MAWP of 40 PSI.

I know if the vessel had to stamped (U,P,etc.) it would have to be certified an authorized inspector.I don't want to get into an legal trouble.

Any insite would be appreciated.     
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 11:16
You'd better check to see if your State is an ASME state.  Just speaking for myself, an SCWI with 28 years experience, I would touch that with a 90 foot pole, lol!!!  Just sounds like an ooopsie getting ready to happen.  If you DO decide to do this work, I'd make damned sure you did so as an employee of that Company and NOT as an independent consultant.  Waiting for the other gents and ladies of the Forum to chime in!
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-04-2008 11:59
I was going to personally call Hartford Steam and Boiler ( I used to work with the local AI) to see what they said.I thought I might get this type of response,and is it really worth the $500 quoted (verbal) to risk my reputation as well as my certification.Also,I am not an employee of their company,and Tennessee is an ASME state.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 13:35 Edited 04-04-2008 13:40
How are you going to certify the vessel? Who is going to recognize "Acme SuperDooper Testing Agency"? What are you certifying it to?

Are you going to perform a visual examination and pronouncing the vessel fit for service? How will you know if the proper materials were used for construction? Are you going to be present to ensure they follow the WPS and use only qualified welders? Are you going to verify the double sided groove welds were back gouged? Are you going to verify the code calculations are correct?

Do you have an insurance policy that provides coverage for pressure vessels? I'm sure someone will be knocking on you door with a subpoena if something goes "boom" in the night and your name is attached to the vessel that made that funny noise.

I agree with the other post that this is one project you want to give serious consideration to before becoming involved.  Your CWI in no way qualifies you to do anything other than visual examination of welds. Certifying a pressure vessel involves much more than simply looking at the completed welds and blessing the tank with a "laying on of the hand". 

Best regards - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 13:59
Somebody building a pressure vessel has actually considered this? Good lord!!
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-04-2008 14:20
They (The company doing the fabrication) said this is only the second time in 18 years that anybody has ever even asked for a certification.I knew I could legally inspect the welds(which they want),but I told them I could not certify it to an AMSE code.The drawing states that all construction shall be done to ASME Sec.VIII Div.1,but not stamped.They told me their customer just wants a welding procedure stamped by a CWI.I don't think they actually know everything that is involved,the contract is pretty vague.I just don't want to do anything illegal. 
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-04-2008 15:25
One thing to think about is that you can only verify or inspect what you can verify or inspect.

There is no need for a 3rd party to stamp or approve or sign for an ASME pressure vessel other than the Authorized Inspector. In a situation where an organization is using Sec VIII as a "Reference", they should be very specific as to what they reference. If the need for stamping were thrown out then why would the need for a 3rd party inspector be added ? One can't replace the other.

I would always suggest staying away from vague.

Gerald
Iuka, Ms
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 19:54
Does this shop happen to be in the oak ridge k town area?
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-04-2008 20:13
yes,it's in Oak Ridge
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 20:26
Ya know, I would strongly suggest putting the place in the rear view mirror.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 04-05-2008 15:24
And then who will ensure and insure it? If you could verify the code calcs who is going to sign as the PE? I agree with the other posts your CWI only qualifies you to inspect it not to certify. A national board cert under a insurance bond maybe. I would run away from this and protect yourself from a huge headache.

Jim
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 14:11
I agree with jon20013 on this one  "Let it roll on by!"
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 14:34
Have I gone bonkers or have we seen this one before?

It seems like it was the exact same question with the same respones.

Al
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 14:41
I think so, but I could be mistaken.

John
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-04-2008 14:48
It's possible,but it wasn't by me,I'm just looking for a little help.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 14:57
It was a while back Ringo.

But I could swear the details were the same as you listed. I even think the company was located in Tennessee.

Maybe the first person that posted refused to do the work after reading our responses, so the company is still looking for someone to do the work you are considering.

Eventually they will find someone that will do the "dirty deed". After all, there are those people out there that are willing to place their stamp on anything if the price is right. It doesn't make it right, but it does happen.

Best regards -Al
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 15:06
Ringo,
  I looked at your profile and while it is not very telling of who you are, I can see that you are no stranger to this forum so I do not need to tell you that you are in the right place for the help that you seek.

Good luck,
John
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 04-04-2008 15:20
I do appreciate the comments,and I think I will let this one slide.I did go over there just as a courtesy(I couldn't quite understand what they wanted over the phone) ,and the welds did look good,but I think it's too much of a liability.                                                                                                                                 
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 04-04-2008 15:26
I updated my profile,thanks for the heads-up.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 04-04-2008 16:33
My 1st response is - HELL NO!!!!  I would add another 90ft pole to jon's and we'd both not be touching it at 180ft!!  If the vessel is already built, they pretty much dropped the ball and are scrambling to figure out how to meet the customer's requirements and looking for you to "fix" their problems.  If they are wanting you to "certify" that the vessel was built to ASME and it was already built before you got the call, you have absolutely no way of knowing that it was in fact built to ASME.  Now, if you were there for the entire fabrication process and were confident that it did indeed get built correctly, the only thing I would personnaly consider (MAYBE) doing is state that "to the best of your knowledge and beleif" that the vessel was build according to ASME sec VIII.  Notice the "maybe", above.  There would be plenty of considering and reconsidering being done before I would agree to this.  As for the liability, I would make sure that the company you would be doing this for understands that you are not taking responsibility for the vessel, you are simply "assuring" that it was built according to customer requirements.  Again, this would all be dependant of your confidence that the vessel was built correctly.

As for you later comment about having a CWI stamp their WPS, I see nothing wrong with that.  If they in fact had correct WPS' and PQR's, I beleive all you would be doing is "certifying" that they meet ASME sec IX.

There's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-04-2008 16:40
They have nothing in place.It's a small company that makes these vessels with a maganet inside,and I guess they have some niche in the market.I think they are very cheap as well,in that,they have no code references,no WPS,no PQR.They said the customer only wants a stamped WPS.I don't think they know exactly what they need,and they got my name from somewhere,thinking I could square everything away at a cheap price.
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 04-04-2008 16:45
If that's all they are looking for, then contract your services to help them with the WPS'/PQR process.  Write them WPS' all day long and have them do the PQR's.  Charge for each and every one!!  Make sure to let them know that the WPS and PQR are THEIR responsibility and they have to have someone from their organization (company) sign and certify them, taking responsibilty.  You can also throw your stamp on their possibly with the statement "reviewed by XXXX".   
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-04-2008 15:18
You can inspect it all day long. You can inspect it inaccordance with whatever requirements they indicate provided everything was in accordance with those requirements. Certification is a broad statement. As indicated below you must specifiy what you are certifying in accordance with and by who authority.

I could write an inspection report that says
"I hereby certify by the underlying signature that I have looked at this thing and didn't find no stuff I didn't like".

That would be an actual certification statement. It just wouldn't mean anything.

That company needs to get in touch with an authorized inspection agency OR certify it to their own internal requirements with NO reference to anything they cannot prove.

My opinion

Have a good one

Gerald
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-04-2008 15:25
What about if there was catastophic failure?With my stamp on it I believe they (lawyers) would come after me.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-04-2008 15:37
There is a difference between certifying something and inspecting it. I have no problem inspecting the visual appearance of a weld and documenting that it conforms to a visual acceptance criteria.

Look on ANY NDE contractors reader sheet, for that matter look at the certification statement on an R-1 form for a boiller or peressure vessel repair. They usually have a statment to the effect that they are not liable for failure.

What if you inspect a weld on a piece of structural steel.

A fillet weld for example, its the correct size, meets the visual acceptance criteria, and APPEARS to have been made with the correct wire. It fails. You may be questioned but there are quite a few other factors that come into play. Was it properly designed, was it maintained, was it used as designed, was it damaged after installation, etc..

Welding is only a small part of something being sound. I can inspect a weld on anything provided I have been given the tools and requirements to do that. When I provide documentation I am providing "Certification" however the scope of that certification can be very limited.

The Manufacturer of a pressure vessel assumes the whole responsibility for that vessel. Period. The insurance company backs them incase of a failure and thus takes a keen interest in making sure it is done correctly. Thus the stamping and certification system helps protect the end user in that fact that the fabricator has been reviewed to meet certain criteria and is reviewed and monitored by someone that has a great deal to loose should a failure occur (The insurance company) .

Its easier to get a 10000 PSI pressure vessel insured than it is to get flood insurance in my state.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 04-04-2008 16:40
You would need to find out exactly what they want you to do.

If they want you to "certify" that the final welds meet ASME sec VIII criteria, that could be done.  However, if they want you to "certify" that all welding was performed according to the WPS, sec VIII, sec IX, etc, unless you have full confidense that it was, I wouldn't "certify" it.

DO NOT "certify" or "assure" or "agree" anything that you cannot fully prove....again, "to the best of your knowledge and beleif"...was done correctly.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-04-2008 16:44
I don't have a copy of the code,(nor do they,which makes me more suspicious).They thought since I was a CWI that I have every code in publication.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 04-04-2008 16:47
Add another $200-$300 (whatever the going rate for sec IX is) to the price of your services and order the book.  If all you will be doing is writing, approving, whatever, for a WPS, you only need ASME sec IX. 
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-04-2008 17:21
I doubt they would pay it.I went to high school with some of these guys (welder,production manager,Mechanical Engineer),and they think I'm just going to do the good-ol-boy thing and give them something for nothing.There are only a handful of testing/NDT places around here,and those guys are a bit pricey.They think I'm trying to screw them,and I told them my reputation is at stake as well as my certification.I told them to call Hartford Steam and Boiler.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 18:21
Good call, it sounds as if the "Good-ole-Boys" were trying to give you a "Good-ole-Screwin."
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 20:29
If it's the same shop I have in my mind, You've put it very lightly.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 20:31
Ringo,

I am just south of you. those "pricey guys" you refer to are pricey for a reason. I know most of them.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-05-2008 01:55
If it is an unstamped vessel, then it cannot be certified. The manufacturer can state the vessel was built in accordance with whatever, but unless they are a code shop, with everything that goes along with being a code shop, the vessell cannot be certified by anyone for anything. JUst welding something together and having someone sign it off, doe not certify bipkis. Whoever is asking you to do this is thinking they can pass liability over to you, which they cant, for small $$.
I would tell these jokers to stick with welding trailers and leave pressure work to people who know what they are doing.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 04-08-2008 10:56
I agree with you on that (Pricey),as I work for them from time to time on a part time basis.I think that some of the small shops around here bid these jobs so cheap,that they don't think that NDE is going to cost that much (when they bid the job),but as we all know,its worth the money. 
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 04-07-2008 02:57
As an inspector, if I see something wrong(even if not paid to) I question it! I dont turn and let someone less experianced fall into a trap! If me, I would take the job,And in my report explain there was no WPS or PQR and be detailed about everything. write down that the welds were finished and and there was no way of knowing who,how or anything of the quality of welding on that patricular job.
In the end everyone wins. (except the corner cutters) you got paid to expose them. (unless they throw out your report, in which case you got paid anyway and still have no liability)!

Just my 2 cents!
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-07-2008 11:16
THese are the type of jokers you spend 2 years in court to get a judgement and they go out of business and you dont get anything. Why buy trouble?
Lawyers are expensive and you can see up front what these jokers want.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 04-08-2008 12:27
They (the end customer)wants PQR's and WPS before they will even accept the final product.It would expose them,but I doubt if I would ever get paid.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Can a CWI certify an asme un-stamped pressure vessel