Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 Steel Code - fit up question
- - By dnewman417 Date 04-06-2008 04:20
The D1.1 Steel Code proscribes a set-up for vertical-up, open root SMAW testing with a 1/4" gap.  I understand the Code to state that the gap can be a minimum of 4/32" to a maximum of 5/16".  Do you concur?  The Code also states that the tolerances are more of a guideline rather than a requirement.  Do you concur?

Thanks
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-06-2008 05:15
Hello dnewman417, if you are seeing a 1/4" gap being specified in D1.1 it is likely a groove joint with a backing. I don't believe any of the codes specify 1/4" for open-root welds. Just my $.02. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-06-2008 11:02 Edited 04-06-2008 11:06
Alan is right and here is the reasoning behind what he said.

D1.1 Welder performance qualification test drawings use prequalified joint details and tollerances.

An open root SMAW groove weld (welded from one side with no back gouge) is not a prequalified weld.

This means in order to be compliant with the code the WPS will need to to be fully qualified by all the stipulations of Section 4.

The root gap for your SMAW WPS will be determined when as you qualify your WPS..... (3/32" is a common starting point)

As far as your question about what is a guideline and what is a requirement... You must provide the exact language and section of the code that you want to know about... like (D1.1 Section 4.2.4)  Then somebody can chime in on what the code is trying to communicate.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-06-2008 13:28
dnewman417,
  In addition to the responses posted,I am guessing you just got "fat fingered" for a second, but if not I just want to help you with what I guess would fall under "proper terminoligy." 4/32 is 1/8.

John
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 Steel Code - fit up question