Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT- Face A
- - By Bill M (***) Date 04-07-2008 16:29
We have an unequal full penetration backgouged plate butt joint for UT.  The weld joins a 1" thick plate to a 2-1/2" thick plate.  The "bottom" of the plates are on a common plane, and have a chamfer transition, and is as shown in D1.1 fig 2.2 -C (right side of figure).  The "bottom" weld surface is ground flush.  The plate can be rotated easily for inspection.

My question is:  Would the preferred or typical scanning surface "FACE A" for UT be the ground flush "bottom" surface, scanning the weld from both sides of face A?

Thanks-
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-07-2008 17:36
i believe the definition of face A is : the face of the material from which the initial scanning is done. From table 6.7
Parent - - By Richard Cook (**) Date 04-07-2008 18:24
This is correct, usually determined by the individual doing the exam. rule of thumb would be the best side to assure 100 % coverage of the full volume of the weld. I would pick the bottomside that is ground, to stay in the first leg of the sound path by passing over the weld area. Working from the top side you would have to use both legs because of the thickness veriation.

good luck
Parent - By g32141 (**) Date 04-08-2008 01:51
Can you send me the figures for face A B and C?

The way it is worded makes you want to flip the part over and scan it that way. The problem with that is now your root is your cap and you can't inspect it in the 1st leg. You'll have to flip it back over to inspect the root.

The root has to be on the bottom for you to inspect it from the 1st leg. I think it is usually a 70 degree angle regardless of the thickness. Based on the thickness you need to change you dB ratings based on the sound path as well. Something to consider. The indication rating compensates for material thickness. So you'll have to examine each side of the weld differently.
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 04-07-2008 20:47 Edited 04-07-2008 20:50
Bill,

Table 6.7 on page 234.  See note 6, last sentence.  Face A for both connected members shall be in the same plane.  Not sure if you are performing angle beam UT.
Parent - - By rjd (*) Date 04-08-2008 14:29
"Table 6.7 on page 234.  See note 6, last sentence.  Face A for both connected members shall be in the same plane.  Not sure if you are performing angle beam UT."
- im just wondering what text book are u referring to?
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 04-08-2008 14:49 Edited 04-08-2008 14:52
AWS D1.1:2006

Since it was already established in the original post, I assumed that it was already understood.  Thanks for asking for a clarification.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 04-08-2008 19:04
As always, -thanks to all for the excellent responses and directing me to the table 6.7 reference note.

(boy either those notes are getting very small print size, or I am getting old~  good thing I need to take the Jaeger 2 vision test soon!)
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 01:25
My vote is for the print size getting smaller. That or we are all getting old.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 01:37
Whos getting old?? It's the print size!! Not getting old!.Not getting old!..Not getting old!.....Not getting old!........Not getting....

AHHhh...., I think Im getting old.

Denial sucks,

jrw
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 04-09-2008 05:22
Can somone supply these diagrams?

For me I interpret the meaning of same plane as "flat'. You can't just flip over a transition weld and scan it from the one side that is sort of equally level. It doesn't work that way.

Maybe I am wrong. But I don't think so. You scan the weld based on bevel desiegn. Root on the bottom and fills accordingly up to the cap.
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 04-11-2008 17:27
Transition welds can be a pain to do because of the sloped area.  Any area that is scanned after a bounce off of the transition will change your angle. Sometimes giving you a mode converted signal.  When you try to do a surface distance measurement it may not work out for the metal path.  It can be done, just keep in mind the angle change after the transition.
Dave
Parent - - By Richard Cook (**) Date 04-11-2008 20:11
Again my answer would be yes to the original post, scan on the "bottom side". according to the post the member is back gouged so essentially you now have a double groove weld so now your root is internal. Yes the technician should account for the groove angels. AWS dictates the angle to use for the exam, it is based on material thickness and not the bevel angle, but stipulates that where indications are noted in the fusion zones shall be further evaluated with different angles such as 45, 60 and 70 degree.

It's a simple exam for this connection as specified and need not be over thought. As long as the technician clearly specifies and marks the part as to his exam side and his X and Y orientation all will be fine.

Testing from the "bottom side" will produce the required level of quality and will eliminate additional variables as having to work the second leg due to the weld limiting the accessability of the transducer, since the posting stipulated that the bottom was "ground flush", and can be turne over. The thickness range specified requires the use of a 70 degree transducer set up to cover all of the weld and since it is ground you can run over the weld with the transducer allowing for full weld volume examination. The scan should be done from both the plus and minus sides of "X".

I know someone may start hollering about nearfield conditions and loosing anything at the surface while passing over the weld and you will have to use the second leg to check this area or check from the opposite side. This may have to be done if there are concerns noted with the exam. But AWS has specified procedure in section 6 that provides for the addequate exam of said connection, and there you will find the exam is addequate from one side using first leg passing over the weld. And from experiance I have picked up near surface discontinuities doing it in this manner. For AWS D1.1 this is acceptable.

good luck
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 04-11-2008 20:33
thnx -
simple sketch of joint attached
Attachment: Doc1.doc (23k)
Parent - - By Richard Cook (**) Date 04-11-2008 20:40
I stand on my call, it is the best for the given detail.
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 04-11-2008 20:43
I agree with you as well.  Thanks for helping out.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT- Face A