Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipeline companies
- - By Cole Welding (**) Date 04-10-2008 12:16
Does anyone know of any companies hiring pipeline newbie welders just getting started???????
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-10-2008 12:25
Contractors will only hire welders. You come in as a helper and it is up to you to learn. If you want to pipeline, find a pipeline welder and ask him/her if they need a helper. IF they dont, ask if they know somebody who does. Keep asking until somebody will put you on as a helper. Then watch and learn. Spend some time with different welders, espically on test day. Volunteer to be a gofer/helper when the welders are testing and keep your hood handy.
There is not a contractor in the world who is going to hire you as a welder, no matter how you are rigged out if you cant weld. If you are wanting to be a pipeline welder, you durn better know how to weld pipe.

Most gas/liquid/oil companies are hiring techs. Most have phased out their company welders and use contractors. Some keep one or two for specific jobs tha are taken care of by company people or for testing welders. Those jobs are few and far between. While they pay good they are not entry level and you come in as a pipeliner or gang hand and work your way up over several years. And these jobs are VERY competative.
BABRT's  
Parent - - By beadhandwife Date 04-10-2008 15:20 Edited 04-10-2008 15:53
My husband is a rig welder and is currently in New Mexico working at a CO2 plant. I am looking for rig work in or around Houston, TX or at least Texas in general. Can someone please offer me some help or point me in the right direction. Thanks for all your help.
Parent - By Goldfinger Date 07-11-2008 15:37
There is a Rockwell job just starting in Queen City, TX I do not have a phone for them but I i do have the Union Rep name and number 918-633-3435 it is Black Schroeder hope that this will help.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipeline companies