Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Newbie needs help to read molten pool
- - By Arcandflash (**) Date 10-21-2002 03:30
Hi,

I am a newbie learning SMAW with an old Miller 225 that I made a DC rectifier for.
What am I supposed to be looking for when looking at the molten pool? 99.9% of the time I haven't got much of a clue while running a bead whether or not it will be a good one or not until I stop and have a look. I can tell when the arc is way too long but not much else.

Why are my 6011 welds so bad looking compared to 7014 or 6013?

Thanks for your help.

Parent - - By buffalo (*) Date 10-21-2002 20:49
Your pool or puddle as it's commonly called is the molten metal following your arc at the end of the rod. At least its supposed to follow it. Never let your puddle get in front of your arc, if you do, then you're not getting good penetration and you're trapping slag into your weld. The puddle should not be too long and pointed at the trailing end, you'd be moving too fast if it was, nor too tight at the arc, then you'd be moving too slow. It should be slightly oval shaped following your ark. So only by practice and experience will you be able to adjust your travel speed and rod angle to produce the correct puddle, which is an excellent indicator as to how well your weld is comming along.Henceforth the skill in welding. Its my experience that if you master this concept, there ain't nuthin' you can't weld!
As for 6011 vs 7018, 6011 will never look as good as 7018 if both are applied properly. 6011 is designed for rusty, dirty metal, and just doesn't look good typically.
Good Luck,
Buffalo
Parent - By Arcandflash (**) Date 10-22-2002 01:52
Buffalo, thanks for the help. It is a lot more obvious when somebody tells you what is going on.

Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Newbie needs help to read molten pool