Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question about welding codes
- - By Jay Krout (*) Date 10-26-2002 18:45
I am a welder certified for Code D1.1, I saw a mention of Code D1.3, what is that as compared to D1.1? Is it a more difficult test or what? Incedently if it makes any difference and maybe this answers my own question, I am certified for all position and unlimited thickness. Just wondering, I am just a welder and don't know all the tech stuff, all my talent is in my hands, sorry. Thank you, J Krout
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 10-27-2002 01:39
the different number designations only refer to different types and applications of welding. there's a number designation for bridge codes, structural codes, pressure vessels, ships, flux core welding, aluminum welding, etc. the numbers don't really refer to any kind of difficulty level, just the process and application.
Parent - - By R. Johnson (**) Date 10-28-2002 14:35
D1.3 is the Structural Welding Code-Sheet Steel. It would govern the welding of sheet metal used in structural applications. Some of the examples are welding of steel decks, panels, storage racks, and stud and joist framing members.
Parent - - By Jay Krout (*) Date 10-29-2002 01:04
Thanks for the info, sounds like most of the work I do at my full time job, what does D1.1 cover? Sorry for all the dumb questions. Thanks for your time. J Krout
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 10-29-2002 01:42
Carbon steel above 1/8 inch thick.

Brian Maas
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 10-29-2002 14:47
The 1" plate test qualifies 1/8" - unlimited thickness. A material thickness less than 1/8 is under the D1.3 code. Therefore you would not be qualified to weld decking.
Parent - By Jay Krout (*) Date 10-30-2002 11:28
Thanks a bunch guys that was all I needed to know, sounds like there is as many regulations as there is welders, Thanks again J Krout
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question about welding codes