Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Quick Question on MTR....
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 04-17-2008 17:11
Quick Question on MTR....In the ASME code SA 516 table 1 Chemical requirements there is a note for carbon, sulfur, and Phosphorus "A" this states that this applies to both heat and product analyses.
  Could anyone give me some clarification on the difference of product and heat, and how would I know if the analysis was done on heat or product.
  I have not had any problems as the requirements have met both, but one day im sure that it wont.
  I have an idea as to what the difference is, but id like to hear some other takes on this to confirm my thoughts.
Parent - By john baxter (*) Date 04-19-2008 02:24
Heat refers to a check when the steel is still in the molten state. Product is a check done on the finished product and is done normally on a tensile specimen. If this is required there should be two chemical analysis's on the report one identified as ladle or heat and the other identified as product.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-21-2008 01:29 Edited 04-21-2008 01:48
I had my initial response screwed up.  After looking at ASTM A6, I see that John's response is correct. 
Heat analysis is done on the melt.
Product analysis provides the same information but samples are taken from products made from the heat.

I apologize if I caused confusion prior to my edit (or afterwards).
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Quick Question on MTR....