Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MILLER SUITCASE WELDERS
- - By welder77 (*) Date 04-19-2008 20:30 Edited 04-19-2008 20:36
I recently picked up a job that requires I purchase a suitcase welder.I'm a die hard Miller man and have been comparing the 12RC to the 12VS.I understand that the 12RC requires the 14 pin cord as compared to just the voltage sensing ground clamp.I also realize the 12RC has the wire speed & voltage adjustment on the feeder.But for the performance of the feeders in the field does anyone
have a preference and why?I 'm a welder that stick welds 99.9% of the time,so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-19-2008 21:18
Hello welder77, some of your choice might be determined by the engine-driven machine that you will be using this combination with. If you have a machine that is capable of CV or CC output then the RC model feeder might be nice when it comes time to make changes in your heat and wire speed settings due to changing work situations. The drawback there is in needing to have an additional cable to concern yourself with(those control cables are also very expensive and won't take a lot of abuse). I believe most folks who do field work wouldn't opt for that particular option, instead they would go with the VS model and use the voltage sensing clamp. It may require a bit more work when it comes time to make changes to machine settings but you also won't have to deal with the extra cable and worry about damaging it. I have used the new 12VS and was very impressed with it over the earlier Miller offerings, for one thing, if you have the model that is equipped with the digital readouts it is relatively simple to come up with the correct machine settings after you have logged a bit of time in on them. I would tend to say that the particular work that you will be doing might be a factor in your choice and also any future work that you might anticipate doing should be considered as well.
     I do know that if I am on a jobsite and working around all of the hazards and other things that are typically present, I probably wouldn't opt for the combination that requires the additional cable. Just my $.02 and a bit to consider. I'm sure that others will respond with other considerations for you. Good luck and best regards, aevald
Parent - - By welder77 (*) Date 04-19-2008 22:02
I'm sorry I should have been more specific,it will either be powered by a XMT 304 CC/CV or a Big Blue 302.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-19-2008 23:01
Hello again welder77, either of the machines that you have listed as power source possibilities will operate either feeder that you have inquired about very well. Your real consideration at this point should probably be centered on the processes and materials that you will be performing work on. If your work will mainly entail operating FCAW-g, dual shield welding, FCAW-s, self-shielded welding, or possibly some GMAW on heavier sections where you will not be doing a lot of short-circuit transfer the 12VS will be a great choice. If you are going to be using this combination for welding on a fairly wide range of thicknesses, alloys, and materials and running the range of transfer modes the 12RC might be a better choice.
     We have 10 XMT304's in our shop and usually operate S22A's or LN-25's from them, the 12RC will operate pretty much the same as the S22A's and weld pretty much anything in any mode of transfer etc., the 12VS will operate more like the LN25 and is probably best suited for operating various FCAW-g, dual shield wires, FCAW-s, self-shielded wires, and GMAW, spray transfer type wires, but not necessarily many of the other wires in short-circuiting transfer modes. I hope this has made sense, the XMT's are somewhat unique in that they have an additional choice for output selection called "voltage sensing feeder", I still don't exactly know what that specifically means in relation to the operation of the machine. One of these days I will do some inquiring to determine exactly what that selection means and does differently from the other selections. Hope this has helped a bit more. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By welder77 (*) Date 04-20-2008 00:28
Like I mention in my first post,I'm 99.9% a stick welder.Most of my mig welding would be on structural steel and plate up to 1" in thickness.I would do some stainless plate about 1/8" in thickness.
I borrowed a friend's 12VS to start the job.I using Hobart Excel ARC 71 with a shielding gas of 75/25. I'm driving the feeder with the XMT 304 in the voltage sensing mode.The voltage is set at 26
and the wire speed at 385 and the gas set at 30 psi because we are outside and at times fighting the wind.Still trying to find a happy medium because I go from flat to vertical to overhead on the same joint.(Welding 3" box to 3" box).Forgive my ignorance,but with this setting am I in short circuit or spray transfer mode?I guess if I could figure what mode I running in this would help me make my decision.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-20-2008 01:50
Lincoln and Miller have taken conpletely different tracks in the suitcase wire feeder world and comparing (or trying to compare) the Lincoln feeders to the Miller feeders won't work.

Lincoln doesn't give you an "either-or" option, the LN-25 will function in a voltage sensing mode with a CC power source but it will at the flip of a switch function as a true constant speed feeder connected to a CV power source.

People who know the Miller feeders sometimes make several incorrect assumptions about Lincoln's feeders. And of course you can add a 14 pin connector to your LN-25 to add voltage adjustment at the box but nobody does this in a world where leads/cords are abused daily.

Just as a aside, we own Lincoln LN-25's (not the new and improved version) and ancient LN-22's and they are the reliable workhorse of the industry. I've actually had customers try to give me broke Miller feeders for free but so far I've always passed. This always makes me question their reliability in the field.

JTMcC.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-20-2008 03:41
Hello JTMcC, I'm a little confused with your wording about the Lincoln LN-25, you stated "Lincoln doesn't give you an either or option", did you mean to say Lincoln does give you an either or option? With the flick of a switch you can select the CC or CV feeder circuitry to connect it to either of these types of power sources, the same can be said for the newer Miller 12VS, it does have that option and I believe it does work the same in that respect as Lincoln's LN-25.
     As far as Miller's suitcase feeders are concerned, I have not been a fan of their earlier attempts at this sort of feeder, however if you have had an opportunity to operate the newer 12VS you might be pleasantly surprised at the results. If you have only had experience with the older SP-32 then I would agree with your sentiments and say find a good boneyard to deposit those feeders. My $.02. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-20-2008 00:31 Edited 04-20-2008 00:34
Here are a couple of other things to consider.

If you are doing self shielded FCAW to D1.1 code you will require a constant voltage (CV) power supply or if you elect CC power you will be required to fully qualify your procedures per section 4. 

No Self Shielded FCAW manufacturer recommends CC voltage sensing equipment for their wires. They are designed to be used with CV power.

With the CV suitcase you can run anything from 0.030 solid wire to 3/32 gas or self shielded FCAW and do it to any code...... You could even put a push pull gun on that CV suitcase and run aluminum... 

If you have to spend the money I think you get way more versatility from the CV feeder.

The voltage sensing feeder does one thing and even with the improvements Allan mentioned, it does not do it as well as the more versatile alternative.

Plus......... With the CV feeder you can set your parameters exactly to what the manufacturer suggests or the WPS calls out for.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-20-2008 01:47
Hello Lawrence, I'm glad you stepped in and included those very important additional points. Many times I get a bit confused when I'm trying to explain the differences between the various feeders, purposes, and capabilities. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 04-21-2008 14:43
When the XMT's are in the Voltage Sensing Feeder position it is in the Constant Voltage Mode, the Main Control Adjust, - adjusts the voltage and the Arc Control - provides Inductance Control. The Voltage Sensing Feeder position with the Constant Voltage adjustment and Inductance Control provides a very nice short circuit metal transfer. For FCAW just set the recommended amperage with the wire feeder control by the XMT meter read out while welding. Adjust voltage to achieve the arc length.
If the machine is not the XMT and has only a constant current weld output; set the amperage with the machines main control adjust. Use the wire feed speed control to adjust the voltage and arc length. Increase the wire feed speed to decrease the voltage. And decrease the wire feed speed to increase the voltage.
Does the Big Blue 302 have a 14-pin receptacle and does it have 24 volts to run a feeder? ...or just controls for remote output and contactor control?
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 04-21-2008 22:19
I think of course everyone has their favorite machines ( miller or Lincoln ) But speaking from experience and haveing used both I have to say you will not be unhappy using the Miller 12VS Haveing voltage adjustment on the machine is not really all that important out in the field. wire feed speed is still on the suitcase for the 12VS . Once you are used to setting your voltage for different wires and metals thickness you don't normally need to play with it that much. The other advantage is you can be as far away as you like with the 12VS and it still works great, I have been as far away as 500ft and not had any trouble with the machine the cost of that remote wire would have made that unrealistic, I have 100ft for my tig machine and it was over $300.00. As far as preference again I have to say having used both , the 12VS is real easy to dial in compared to the LN-25 not to mention that once set it just runs all day with out to much messing around and the welds it produces are outstanding and make short work of anything I have but it to. But I am sure that there are others that will swear by the LN-25 I personally have found it to be a problamatic piece of junk keep in mind that ,that is just my opinion. I do think though that which ever one you choose you will wonder why you never used it more before.
Parent - By rig welder6 (**) Date 04-22-2008 03:57
i am a true blue miller man and had a trialblazer 280nt, and rented a ln25 for a job, than bought a 12rc, and let me tell u it is AWSOME i run 71m or now called 71extreme, .045, and can go to .035 hard wire, and all i have to do is small adjustment on the face of the feeder, i use this in the oil-field and in the shop, the 14-pin cable is not cheap but the unbelievabley smooth running is un-paralelled and it is tough, i dont baby my equipment i use it rather harshly and all components are holding up very well, i have had this machine for four years and i have not replaced any parts as of yet, and now i am running it off of a pro 300 and it runs even better.  There are 3 guy that are lincoln die hards, and all three tried everything to see if there was a 14-pin plug that would go from a lincoln to my miller 12rc but wrong wiring for both. so i would say spend the $ and get the rc you won't be dissapointed i guarantee it.
Parent - - By millerman (**) Date 04-23-2008 19:50
welder just bought a 12vs useing miller trailblazer 302  went with the 12vs insteed of 12rc  because with the rc you are limited to  how far  you can get away with it  has a 20 ft 14 pin cable and you can buy another for 220.00  where as the 12 vs plugs into your quick connect on the stinger and  flip swicth for cv or cc and you are welding
Parent - By rig welder6 (**) Date 04-25-2008 00:41
75' 14pin cable is $189.00 just bought one and i already had the 25' so now i can reach 100' that pretty much reaches everything i need. just a little info.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MILLER SUITCASE WELDERS