Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Testing protocols acc. D1.1
- - By FranzB Date 04-23-2008 06:54
Hi all,

maybe someone can help me on my special problem:

I have a completely filled out test protocoll (acc. form D-11 of AWS D1.1) of a craneway girder.
This test has been done by a certified testing company according table 6.3 (cyclically loaded, +20dB) and the girder has been rejected on 10 discontinuities.

Is it possible to determine if this girder also would have failed with table 6.2 (statically loaded, +14dB) without doing an other test, only based on the existing protocoll?

The background is, that the manufacturer is claiming the extra costs for repairing the weld, because contractually only table 6.2 has been agreed for such girders. The question is, has these discontinuities been worse enough to fail also acc. statically loaded criteria (table 6.2).

Thanks in advance for your comments
Franz Brandstetter
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-23-2008 15:17
if i understand your question correctly, you had an UT examination evaluated to 6.3 requirements and you want to see if it is acceptable to the 6.2 requirements without performing another examination?
yes you can.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Testing protocols acc. D1.1