Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI worthy?
- - By JonG76 Date 10-26-2002 13:27
My name is Jon and I'm new to the board. I'd like to say it's great seeing how much the experienced welders out there are giving advice to the younger guys. Wish I knew of this board years ago, being that most people were to busy to help the "new kid" when I broke into the field. I started out with 2 years of welding in high school then did a five year tour with the U.S. Navy Seabees as a steelworker. The three years following that I have jobs welding gas lines, pressure vessels and thick wall structural steel. I have recently been laid off due to lack of work in my area (Pittsburgh-steel city, go figure) and have decided to go for CWI, something I've always wanted to do, just didn't think I would until later in life. My question is...can the average welder/grunt be successful as a CWI. I don't mean this to sound wrong but I understand that "anything can be accomplished if you put your mind to it" and things like that. I feel I have strong welding knowlege and I've always had the younger guys come to me for advice, but taking tests have NEVER been my strong point. I have my G.I. bill from the military at my disposal to use and have been looking into the Hobart Welding Institue in Ohio for their two week CWI readiness course. This should be a step in the right direction, but any other help from you gentleman or ladies would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-26-2002 14:03
I welded for a couple of years on trailers from age 15-18, went in the Navy for 5 years 7 mos as an HT. Got out, worked on Boilers/Pressure vessels for about 2 years and took the CWI exam and passed. I didn't take any courses or have any training specifically for the CWI exam. I have worked as an inspector and welder and have been completely satisfied with my career.

My observations regarding older welders helping younger welders is more a case of the older being concerned with the younger knowing more plus having the same skill.

The experience as a welder is helpful as a welding inspector but not needed. The test is more related to your knowledge of the welding processes, inspection methods, metallurgy, qualification of welders and procedures etc.

If you have the govt to pay for the course, I'd take it!

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Neal Chapman (**) Date 10-28-2002 04:55
Don't be hesistant taking this test. Especially with the help of a fine class like the one offered at Hobart. I just re-checked your posting and you seem to be articulate, know how to spell, and you can use the computer. These skills along with your welding knowledge will serve you well in this endeavor.

As for the class and test my only advice is to stay sober during the evenings, get enough sleep, ask questions, take notes and then relax. The test while thorough is not set up to trick you. On the practical exam read your acceptance criteria and forget what you think is acceptable or not. Judge all the welds using the assigned criteria.

Good luck
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-29-2002 20:23
I went through one of those week long crash courses myself in Norfolk, Va. under Gene Hornberger's tutelage. I had fun learning and having my head opened up and tons of info poured in until it ran back out. I did think that in the test I took, the questions were to see if they could trip you up. I knew the answers to the questions, but they get you to doubt yourself by throwing in something you never heard of as one of the answers in a multiple choice question. Alot of the stainless steels were discussed in the course and were new metals for me, I have been working at a structural steel fabricator for 18 years and never had to deal with certain types of stainless steels (300 and 400 series). Questions were asked about metallurgy, grain structure, and such, that was all new to me as well. I recommend the CWI prep course in that it help introduce alot of new material that I have never been exposed to.
Hey, Good Luck in your test. Hope you do well. It will be another notch in your resume'.
John Wright
Parent - - By JonG76 Date 10-29-2002 21:03
I'd like to thank all the gentleman here that gave me your valuable information. I've decided to give myself about three or four good months of studying before I take the course. That way I'll have the "basics" covered. If anybody has suggestions on things that I should "know like the back of my hand" before I go, please let me know. That should make things a little easier then cramming EVERYTHING all at once. Again, thank you for your time. It's been greatly appreciated!
Parent - By BCSORT (*) Date 11-01-2002 18:37
I took and passed the test about two years ago after studying for 6 months on my own. One thing I would suggest is to look through all the archived post here in this forum. I have learned alot from this forum and I think it would be a good place to obtain some supplemental information. Good luck
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI worthy?