Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Innershield 211
- - By Efield Date 04-24-2008 22:51
Any California Inspectors know where I can find IN PRINT that Innershield 211 is not code approved in CA?  Contractor wants proof and I don't have the classification # with me
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-24-2008 23:51 Edited 04-24-2008 23:57
Hello Efield, you may have to go the long way around the horn to verify this. What I mean by that would be to say, that there is likely a statement in the job specifications that requires any welding to meet FEMA 353 seismic requirements. There are only certain self-shielded wires that meet this criteria, thus it may not be stated that the NR211 doesn't meet the requirement, but it would imply that it cannot be used because it isn't included on the list of approved electrodes that do meet the FEMA 353 standard. I hope this is of some use to you, otherwise I am sure that there are many others who frequent the forum that can nail it down much better for you. Best regards, aevald

I found an article and other information that I printed from Lincoln regarding the FEMA 353, you may want to take a look at this to give you the technical specifics. Here is the address: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/fema.asp
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-25-2008 04:53
hello Allan,
I posted to this subject, and Lincoln's own facts pertaining to the use of NR211 are quite clear that this particular wire is not suitable where siesmic requirements are present.
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-25-2008 04:46 Edited 04-25-2008 06:05
Efield,
I have the Lincoln site up on a second window. The "Typical Applications" portion of the NR211 Stats sheet, state:
1.) single or multiple pass welding
2)Structural fabrication where NO siesmic requirements are present.

I could go further, but I think there are siesmic requirements in CA. and this wire does not meet those requirements..per the manufacturer.
I hopre this helps you resolve your quandry
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady

Edited: Lincoln Innersield NR-233 is an all position electrode. Especially for out of position welding where siesmic requirements are present, and meets the stringent requirements for FEMA 353.
Meets a minimum CVN (Charpy V Notch) of 20 ft.lb at -20 deg F when tested in accordance with AWS A5.20. Also will meet requirements for H16 as tested according to AWS A4.3

There are other wires that meet FEMA 353 siesmic requirements. I qouted this one because it is stated as being very user friendly..
Below is a link to the California FEMA codes as set forth by the (SEAOC).
http://www.nehrp.gov/pdf/fema355e.pdf
Hope this can be of help to You.
Again, Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-25-2008 13:38
I would recommend to anyone doing FEMA requirement type work that you print up the entire 350 series, read it, and keep it in your library.
Parent - By Efield Date 05-07-2008 21:06
Thanks, everyone!  Very useful.  As per one reply, the specifications called for 20 ft /lbs at -20 egrees, and NR211 has no Charpy values assigned.  Ironically, I've spoken with several CA CWI's and most of them quoted table 3.1 (good up to 1/2").  It was interesting how many inspectors have been allowing this wire under these parameters.  Hopefully, a few of them hit this site and learn a thing or two.
EField
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Innershield 211