Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 7018
- - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 04-25-2008 13:09
Hey guys last night I was welding 4 in pipe using 7018 on the caps my question is how do you keep the slag from running down its like my puddle just pours down in front of me when welding downhill tried everything still does it I just welded through it weld looked good but Im sure it has to be trapping slag maybe I should just run it uphill. Any suggestions??
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-25-2008 13:29
You should be running it uphill.
It can be run downhill but you have to move quickly and carry no metal.
It takes a certain amount of skill and would be very unreliable without it.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 04-25-2008 13:45
Yeah, 7018 isn't supposed to be a downhill rod.  You will have better luck running it upill.
Parent - - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 04-25-2008 13:53
so you guys put the caps on your pipewelds going uphill that explains alot, I thought you were running everything downhill must be just the 6010 root goes down so your fillers go in uphill to then? would that be correct like when they say 6010 root and 7018 fill and cap that would be the correct way of running them?? 
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-25-2008 14:08
Cyrus 07,
Are you using a welding procedure.
The direction of travel should be noted on your WPS.
Sound advice from the guys, 7018 vertical up.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 04-25-2008 14:06
The 7048 is a downhill low hydrogen electrode. Its been 20 plus years since I've welded with it. It was Airco's Pipecrafter electrode. Don't know what happened to the formula & offering since Lincoln bought them. Lincoln has the Pipeliner series of EXX18-G for vertical down.
Parent - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 04-25-2008 14:18
no wps just practicing in the backyard trying to piece together what I learn and read on here then I go home and try it out someday I hope to be  pipeline welding went to school just never did any real pipework but Im learning and practicing on an old sae300 runs good!! Just sometimes what you guys take for granted as common knowledge when you talk to eachother, I dont fully understand so I have to post a stupid sounding question like that one (lol) to figure things out Im glad no one on here has ever really busted me on here for my questions and I really thank everyone for that!!! 
                                                       Thanks Bob.
Parent - - By Isaac82 Date 04-25-2008 14:25
ok your problem is your using the wrong rod. On downhill you use 6010 all the way. That is standard for pipeline. As far as 6010/7018 not many pipelines use that. And for that go uphill all the way root and everything.
Parent - - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 04-25-2008 15:04
NOW im really confused can you explain that now a little better you dont use 6010 or 7018 ?? root pass goes uphill ?? that kinda goes against everything I have read on here, someone please help and explain this to me... What is standerd rod and procedure used on pipeline???
Parent - By fej2816 Date 04-25-2008 15:25
Dude, if all you're doing is practicing, then work on Vertical up always, it will develop your skills for future welds. 6010 although can be used Downhill, Vertical up will hone your skill at getting in and out of the Puddle and allow you to experiment with Heat ranges. 7018 Downhill was my first mistake 30 yrs. ago, always Vertical up. Both 6010 and 7018 are the best choices for practice and Pipe, you'll find they're used quite often and developing you're skill with them will stay with you as long as you're a Welder.
Parent - - By Isaac82 Date 04-25-2008 15:35
on a pipeline you don't use 7018 you use 6010 downhill all the way the wps for this is api 1104. when you use 6010 with 7018 you run 6010 uphill and the 7018 uphill. 7018 is not rated to be able to go downhill.
Parent - - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 04-25-2008 15:56
fej I already know how to vertical weld been doin it for 15 yrs although its a little different on pipe Isacc you say 6010 is used for root, filler, and cap on pipeline and every thing is run downhill if im correct that is what you are saying thats what I will be practicing tonight, thanks   P.S. I think downhill is harder than uphill..
Parent - - By Isaac82 Date 04-25-2008 16:05
yes that's what i'm saying and yes downhill is somewhat harder. once you get used to it though you'll prefer it. The main thing is it is way different. if you know someone who can show you how it will help you a ton.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-26-2008 10:12
Cyrus 07,
First of all, don't ever apologise for asking questions, the gents on this forum have a wide variety of knowledge and there is always someone ready to help. Everyone of us have asked questions at one time on this forum when we needed assistance from our peers.
I am going to disagree with some of the statements made in response to your post but will try and justify with some explanations based on personal experience.
The code (not the wps) that most pipelines are constructed to is API 1104.The WPS (Welding Procedure Specification) is the document that has all the information required to produce a sound weld (including the type of electrode ,direction of travel, amps, volts etc,etc).The predominant electrode used around the world for cross country pipelining is the cellulose electrode (XX10...eg 6010,7010, 8010).The 7018 electrode is a low hydrogen electrode that is used predominantly in refineries, power stations etc, usually vertically up.However, dependant on the service there is a variety of different combinations of electrodes and directions of travel and these will be detailed on the WPS and when/if you test you will perform a weld as per the WPS. Some I have worked to over the years - 6010 VD All - 6010 VU All - 6010/7010 VD - 6010 VD/7018 VU - 6010 VU / 7018 VU.
I was a pipewelder (GTAW/SMAW) for 5 years when I crossed over to pipelining. My mentor, a grizzled old veteran told me the first day if I wanted to be a good "stovie" I had to forget everything I had ever learnt about vertical up welding and start again. If you have vertical up knowledge/experience it is always a good fallback option when there are no pipelines running, but if you want to concentrate on pipelining practice nothing but vertical down.
When you are running bead on a pipeline you will have the aid of a helper who will change your heat up and down for you as you are welding dependant on your root gap, so if you practice,practice,practice until you can put a perfect root in with no change in heat you will know you are almost there.
Start with a 1/8" electrode and when you have got that running nicely - root, hotpass, fill+cap, move up to 5/32" for the fill + cap and then when that is going well move up to 3/16". The bigger the electrode, the harder it is to weld so start small and progress up as you feel confident.
Hope that helps,
Good luck,
Shane
Parent - - By lonestarwelder7 (**) Date 04-27-2008 03:10
I agree with Shane.
Parent - - By Tom11980 (*) Date 04-27-2008 10:30
huh the way I have always done down hill pipe is 6010 root and 8010 hot fill and cap.  Thats the way I was shown and tested 6" and 2" downhill.
Parent - - By Robert Turney (*) Date 04-28-2008 02:51
Another welder I work with told me back when the had to test a 6G with 7018, they had to repair a section of damaged high pressure gas main.  They had to weld the short stops on with 7018s and at night on top of that.  When they tapped and stopped the line off he had time to look at the coupons.  He said it was like looking at stove pipe.  He estimated it less than .250 wall.  That would have been nasty if he blew through.  They did away with that uphill stuff and now its 6010 all the way out.  Heck, some areas of the company still oxy acetaline weld.  I like a stinger and a 6010 any day of the week.
Parent - - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 04-28-2008 15:31
Shane, thanks for the reply it helped alot..
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 04-29-2008 02:25
Just FYI from Lincolns web-site

Stick Electrodes - Low Alloy - Low Hydrogen - Vertical Down
Pipeliner LH-D80 E8045-P2 AC, DC+, DC- Choose Pipeliner® LH-D80 electrode when you need a dependable stick (SMAW) electrode for vertical down low hydrogen welding on pipe up to X70. Operators appreciate the unique slag system that facilitates easy puddle control with virtually no slag interference.
Pipeliner LH-D90 E9045-P2 AC, DC+, DC- The product of choice for vertical down, low hydrogen pipe welding for fill and cap passes of high strength pipe up to X80. Operators will appreciate this electrodes unique "hot start" tip with outstanding puddle control.
Pipeliner LH-D100 E10045-P2 AC, DC+, DC- When the job calls for vertical down, low hydrogen welding on X-100 pipe, operators the world over reach for this dependable Lincoln® electrode. The unique "hot start" tip minimizes starting porosity. Pipeliner® LH-D100 has great low temperature impacts and outstanding tensile strength.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 7018