Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SA 200 Brushes
- - By okwelder82 (***) Date 04-28-2008 03:11
I bought a 68 Redface yesterday and the guy I bought it from said I should put 300 amp brushes in it. This may be a stupid question but what does that do? Thanks for any help.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-28-2008 04:48
put 200 brushes in it if it's the sa 200 I'm sure others will chime in about that myth I know I have read some say it will weld better or something but no I have heard from Kaye and others here put the 200 brushes in it if it is a sa 200
Parent - By slagline 3 (**) Date 04-28-2008 16:42
Hey Bud, think about this, Don't you think that Mr. Lincoln would want to build the best welding machine they could with the available technology of the day. I'm thinking the blue guys would. There are all kinds of myths out there about these machines. I'll tell you something else, Do't let any of your welding buddies talk you into "rolling your rack" you will live to regret it. Back in the day, running hot pass sometimes, I would put a dime under the adjust screw to run a faster, no harm done. Change the actual mechanics and you are asking for problems, that you might not be able to fix.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 04-29-2008 13:27
classic 300d have T2687 main brushes in them, the SAME for your SA200. Back in the early years some machines would accomodate T344 brushes, wider and thicker, BUT NOT ALL WILL. This brush covers more bars on your armature and is a harder brush. If your not the type to check your brushes everytime you change the oil (100hours) then I don't recommend it. It can and will cause problems.

You will hear something 'new' to do to these machines everyday. Be educated about your equipment. The next "tip" (and I use that term loosely) is that you can put a penny or nickel on your governor to make it run hotter. When all you are really doing is changing the govenor setting without having to turn a bolt.

If you are intersted in trying out the "tips" you learn in the field, YOU NEED A BACK UP MACHINE, to do this with. That way you learn on your own what the good and bad of this tips is all about.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-29-2008 15:40
a penny or a dime under the adjustment screw thats pretty cool trick now this wouldn't hurt the machine would it?? I assume you wouldn't want to do this a very long time?
Parent - - By gshuma (**) Date 04-30-2008 02:45
Carbon brushes are formulated to a specific current density per square inch. Google around and you will find a wealth of information.
If Lincoln specifies a part number and your income depends upon that machine then use the correct part!
Parent - By cpopham (*) Date 05-02-2008 20:06
I staggered the 300 amp brushes and the 200 amp brushes in my machine and it made it run hotter but it carried the same amount of metal. It made my bead look like crap, almost cost me a test.  I put the 200 amp brushes back in.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SA 200 Brushes