Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / VT - Weld gauges?
- - By 67fordgalaxie50 (*) Date 04-29-2008 12:06
Hello, I am a new CWI, I have been looking at what tools are needed to do my job......here is a link is this toooo much or too little? please let me know.
http://www.bergeng.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CAT-12A&Category_Code=gal%20weld%20gauge&Product_Count=14
http://www.ndtmart.com/product_info.php?products_id=2315

thanks
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 04-29-2008 14:53
looks good, best to have something and not need it right now, than the other way around.  Also something to measure temperature, tempsticks, or pyrometer, I use an IR gun.  And a clamp ammeter.
Parent - By 67fordgalaxie50 (*) Date 04-29-2008 15:53
Thanks Duke, I will look for those now. I just didnt want to need something that I didnt have.
Parent - - By 67fordgalaxie50 (*) Date 04-29-2008 16:07
How about these too? WoW there are so many different kinds.........which one???? Need help!!!!
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irk.html
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2008 16:13 Edited 04-29-2008 16:15
Tempilsticks are pretty good and not too hard on the wallet........

http://www.tempil.com/
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 04-29-2008 16:22
I dont know what you do, I do structural, so 1200+ degrees = scrap anyway.  So don't pay for range you don't need.   I use Extech clampmeter and IR gun (separate)  but I see that they make a clamp ammeter with IR temp built in now.  Nissen makes tempsticks too, and their mini solid paint markers are perfect.  Stay away from the valve action paint markers.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-29-2008 16:25
In looking at your link, I see they have a GAL Gage kit there.  Have you contacted GAL Gage directly for their prices?

Also, while you are the best judge of what you do and do not need, would you be using all of the gauges in that kit?  I don't want to dissuade you if you have your heart is set on buying it but steel rules can be bought at hardware stores, flashlights from nearly anywhere, fillet gauges are less than $20 at many welding supply stores, and so forth.  Kits are nice but expensive.
Parent - - By jfellenstein Date 04-29-2008 16:44
[deleted]
Parent - - By 67fordgalaxie50 (*) Date 04-29-2008 19:28
Thanks, that is just the info I needed. more welcome......
Parent - - By soilschick (*) Date 04-29-2008 20:18
Man I wish I knew about these kits when I started out.  Would have saved a lot of hassle and carrying.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-29-2008 21:22 Edited 04-29-2008 21:59
A word of caution on the infrared thermometers. They give erroneous readings on reflective surfaces such as aluminum, stainless, and nickel alloys. I've had readings off by 150 degrees.

I use a thermocouple attachment and multimeter purchased from RadioShack. Good enough for most work.

My collection of inspection tools are kept in a tool box. I have a tool box that I constructed for the back of my Grand Caravan and a carpenters tool belt with heavy suspenders that I use to carry just the tools that I need to perform the inspection. Everyday requires different tools, so why carry about more weight and tooling than is necessary. They are expensive and too easily misplaced.

Other than the fillet gages, most tooling can be purchased at the local hardware store or through a catalog.

I freely admit that I'm a cheap son of a bitcX. I don't believe in using high quality precision instruments in the field. Precision tools need to be treated with care and best left in the laboratory. For the field work I use tools that won't break the bank or my heart if they are damaged or lost. A micrometer or caliper from "General" is good enough for field work. A plastic magnifying lens is fine for the field and shop. Save the high priced magnifiers for the lab. My magnifying lens for the field is perfect because it has a compass in the handle so that I won't get lost. When it gets scratched, and it will, I toss it and spend another $11 for a new one.  My multimeter is a RadioShack. Leave the Fluke in the lab. I usually go through a couple of multimeters a year. It never fails that some welder will flip the high frequency to "continuous" when I'm not looking, poof! There goes another multimeter. It is easy enough to check the field instrument against the calibrated lab instrument.

Flashlights; you can never have enough flashlights and spare batteries. I have several different flashlights. Big ones, small ones, Zenon bulbs, LEDs, you name it, I have one of each. I also have a radiometer to verify the intensity of the flashlight is sufficient to meet the lighting requirements of the code (ASME Section V).

"Mirrors on a stick" are indispensable when working in hard to reach areas.

Torpedo levels, combination squares, regular framing squares with the outside corner clipped, four foot levels, six foot levels, a bazooka bob, and the list goes on and on. The hardware store is often my first stop on my way to a new job to pick up a fresh can of red and green spray paint to mark those welds inspected. Tags with strings, adhesive labels, rubber stamps and ink pads, you name it, I have it, every job has different requirements for identifying what was inspected and accepted or rejected.

A small collection of tools is best when you get started and then buy the tools you need as you find out what is needed for the work you are doing. Why buy a high priced specialty tool that is only going to be used once every five years. You're going to misplace it and won't be able to find it the next time you need it anyway. I make my "special" gages using heavy banding strap a pair of tin snips, a scribe, and a six inch machinists ruler. The standard fillet gages come in 1/16 inch increments. I bet most of us can use tin snips and get the "size" within 0.01 inch of being perfect. Good enough for most work. If you get a job that needs "calibrated" gages, use a set of "Jo blocks" to verify the sizes of your "special" gages.  

If you're new to the inspection field, find out what tools are necessary before spending a lot of money on tools you won't need. The specifics of your job will dictate what types of gages, meters, and tools are necessary.

Spend your extra time and money on something useful like a course in magnetic particle testing or penetrant testing so you can expand your capabilities and prospects for future employment. Try to take at least one seminar or training course that is beyond your present level of training or expertise every year so you'll be prepared to take on added responsibilities or a new job that offers better pay or opportunities for advancement. Don't think for  minute that the job you have today is the job you'll have when you retire unless you are two days away from retirement. Get ready for your next job today so you'll be ready tomorrow.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / VT - Weld gauges?