Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Test API1104 inspect AWSD1.1 ?
- - By flux364 Date 10-29-2002 04:23
If I test on API 1104 during My CWI test will I Be allowed to inspect AWS D1.1 code for structural steel?
I have been welding for over fiveteen years and have decided to go for my CWI in Seattle in Febuary, I have about four months to study up for the seminar.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-29-2002 11:11
Yes. The code you test on has no bearing on what you are "certified" to inspect.

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - By Distilled (**) Date 10-29-2002 13:05
Threw me off too but in a sense they figure that if you can learn to interpret one code you should be able to interpret them all.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-29-2002 23:56
I wouldn't be that sure that after having being approved as CWI by one code you're automatically approved by all other codes.
In my opinion, but I might be wrong, it depends on an agreement between the CWI and his employer or client.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-31-2002 13:34
The question was related to AWS D1.1.

Para 6.1.4.1(1) states
The acceptable qualification basis are the following:
(1) Current or previous certification as an AWS Certified Welding Inspector in accordancxe with the provisiions of QC1...... or
(2) .....CWB..... or
(3) An engineer or techinician who, by training or experience, or both, in metals fabrication, inspection and testing, is competent to perform inspection of work

As you stated Mr Crisi, this is subject to the contract agreements and that is somewhat addressed in para 6.1.4.1 .... If the engineer elects to specify the basis of ispector qualification, it shall be so specified in the contract documents.
Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 10-31-2002 12:29
This is one of the many things that AWS does that I do not agree with. It is permissable to take the API 1104 test and then inspect D1.1 AWS does not note on your certificate what you tested to. If you are like me you will test to the code you intend to work with. To me it is a matter of integrity. Three fourths of the testing is the same for both codes, the only difference is the open book section and the API book is much smaller and therefore easier to manipulate and learn. It is true that AWS states the intention and purpose of the test is simply to determine and prove your ability to use a code book, any code. Therfore it is technically okay to do as you propose, only YOU will know. I personally refuse to take the easy way out. As I have often told my employees and my children, the day I start doing things just because it is the easy way, is the day I will retire and take up fishing. It is obviously your choice and I know many people will not agree with me,that's okay, I don't need their approval nor do I want it. Good luck and I apologize for the long winded opinion.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-31-2002 13:11
I have to agree with Mr. Sherman, When I took my CWI test I was given the option as to which code book to be tested out of. I admit I was very tempted when I saw the leaflet looking code book for API 1104 vs. the 1 1/2" thick book of specs. that the Structural Code uses. But, I chose the code that I would be working with here on my job.(AWS D1.1)
But it is your choice, and you are qualified to interpet "code" provided you pass. You are given time limits on your open book test and it would be easier if you only had a few pages to look through rather than 502 pages of Structural Code. Good luck with whatever code you choose.
John Wright
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-31-2002 13:46
Lets look at it this way. What if you had to test on a code that you did not work with. Would that not be a better way too verifiy the apptitude of an inspector. Anyone can study a code day by day and become familar with it. To become adept at wading through the contract documents sometimes specified is a good skill to have.

On my 9 year renewal I was signed up for Either Sec VIII or B31.1 and Sec IX. A couple of week or so before the test, AWS informed me that these tests would not be given. The company I was working for had D1.1s so that was the way I went.

It would be interesting to see statistics on pass fail rates based on codes, industry of employement, age etc. HOW bout it AWS do you have that info available?

G Austin
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-31-2002 18:10
Gerald,
I've "heard" many figures being thrown about as to fail/pass percentages.
Anywhere from 70 - 85% failure rates on the CWI exam. What sort of percentage would you think, based on your experiences around these tests and what you may have heard?
Just Curious,
John Wright
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-01-2002 19:22
I couldn't accurately say. I do know that the tests that I asssisted proctoring and those Ive taken myself, the number of people not sure how they did was close to that.
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 11-01-2002 20:41
AWS will not release statistics on the CWI pass rate. They will however give you the statistics on the CAWI and above pass rate. It is about 80% passing. This leads me to believe that the pass rate for CWI is extremely low. I believe you are probably very close with your guess. I think it is good that the test is not too easy. That is just my opinion though.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-06-2002 16:22
Mike,
Two of us at our company went together to take the CWI test. I didn't have a good feeling about my test, it wasn't anything like I was warned about, which lead me to believe I did not do so well. I thought the hands on test was very cut and dry. I was told I would have to measure the porosity closely and re-measure again and again to make a determination of acceptablity of these samples by the code given. Mine were cut and dry accept or reject, nothing close. I passed with great scores on all three tests.
My fellow employee thought the test was a breeze and felt he'd passed with flying colors. He now works under me as a CAWI at our other plant. He barely passed enough questions to be a CAWI.
I was just curious about the pass/fail rates, because in talking with people taking the test with us, there were alot with the sinking feeling I had. I wonder how many of them made it, or made it as CAWI's?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Test API1104 inspect AWSD1.1 ?