Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Considering move to Texas/ How is the pay???
- - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 04-29-2008 03:41
I have gone through a four year Non-Union sheet metal apprenticeship mainly focusing on HVAC. But all of my OTJ training was fabricating stainless steel custom restaurant equipment and larger stainless frame assemblies mainly using the tig welding process. I can also ARC and MIG (It's been a few years) I do not hold any certifications for either process.

In my current role (five years now) I am a lead welding technician in a manufacturing facility mainly orbitally welding high purity tubing in a class 100 clean room environment. I do know how to create different schedules for each diameter and composition of the tubing, but I am unsure of the demand for orbital welding technicians in other regions. I do make around $22/hr currently and with OT have been able to pull 70K a year for the past few years. So I am curious if that is comparable in anyones opinion?

Can anyone give me any feedback on opportunities/pay in that area? Me and my wife are ready to make a change and have had some serious discussions but I just want to take in as much advice as possible.

Thanks,
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 04-29-2008 15:29
  Austin pipefitters local has a couple of chip plants in their jurisdiction with a good amount of work. Scale is around $24 and bennies. Haven't worked there myself but a friend of mine just left and said it was a pretty good gig with a long ways to go. I just left the nuke near Houston and the locals there have plenty of work coming up although I think their limited in the high purity area. I don't think I'd want to live in Houston myself, ALOT of traffic and smog.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-29-2008 23:05
As you may have discovered, Texas is a REAL big place. Is there somewhere you would like to live? If you are partial to trees and water, there are a couple of places in Texas which may not fit your bill. Dont like trees and water, then you may like them. But they are really far apart.
BABRT's
Parent - - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 04-30-2008 22:59
We were thinking of the Austin area, mainly because of the good schools and the semi conductor presence in that area.

I have had my share of trees and water and rain. I can deal without that for awhile.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-02-2008 01:30
If you are thinking about schools for your children head out to the Permian Basin. Jobs for a welder are all over the place. Single hand SMAW $14-28. Multi process with strong TIG up to 50 Rig work everywhere and people looking for workers. Plus if you live in Andrews, Seminole or Denver City, the public school education your kids will get it equal to most private school in other places in the US. Plus you dont have to put up with that dad blame traffic. Austin is a great place if you are 25 and single. But I would not raise dogs in Austin.
BABRT's
Parent - - By abrahamx (*) Date 04-30-2008 03:28
Go union and earn $10 more/hr.  Just my opinion.  Thats what I do.  If non union paid more I'd go that route.
Parent - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 04-30-2008 23:01
Do you know the LOCAL # in the Austin area? Are you suggesting a pipe fitters or sheet metal union?
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 04-30-2008 12:56
Our company is always looking for quality personnel with experience, especially in orbital welding.  Please provide an email address and I will provide more info.  We are located on the far west side of Houston.  Our wages are very competitive and our benefits are as good as they get.
Thanks
Parent - - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 04-30-2008 23:07
Hello,

Thank you for the consideration. I would defiantly like to see what your company manufactures and has to offer.

Email @

thesavvvy1@yahoo.com
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 05-01-2008 02:32
Austin pipefitters local 286. Go by and talk to an organizer.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Considering move to Texas/ How is the pay???