Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / owning ones own rig??
- - By abrahamx (*) Date 04-30-2008 03:06
I know this is a nieve question but I am a good welder who is looking for ways to make more money.  I am in MI, but can travel anywhere obviously.  I keep hearing about being able to make better money owning ones own rig, but not sure what the work would entail.  I am a shop worker but would like to know what jobs are available to someone with a welding rig, and what course I should take to learn the necessary skills.
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 04-30-2008 22:13
you can make more but you are spending more too. I think most would say your first year rigging up is the most frustrating ( finding work , getting tools , debt) but it starts to pay off after a couple years. I would say most rig welders will tell you it feels pretty rewarding running your own ship, i know i do.
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 05-02-2008 04:50
I have been rig welding for quite awhile now.  If you want to get in the business. I would suggest quitting your shop job and go hit some shutdowns for about a year.  With all that 7/12's youll be putting in not only will it expand you welding horizons. But you should be able to pay for alot of your equipment in cash.  It takes about two years of breaking even to get your truck fully set up. During this time you also get a chance to get your feet wet and find the Money Jobs! (build your rep).  Just a forewarn if you pay for most of your tools up front in cash and you dont like being a rig welder you can just sell your stuff and not be in debt. Rig welding is not for everybody it requires you to usually to work with some kid helping you who dosent really care if your doing a good job who inadvertantly because of his green hands if your not carefull will ruin your equipment.  I guess what I am saying it can be a very cut throat business.  I you dont mind truely putting in a good days work everyday and constantly looking over your helpers shoulder, and doing your own fitting it can be very rewarding. If you just wanna make a few code welds a day and you sit around while your fitter does all the math and fitting stay a single hand.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-02-2008 10:16
I will attest to the cut throat business end as said above.....if you got some slag slingers around you they will rent themselves and their rigs for next to nothing...those people usually don't last too long unless they like sleeping in the truck.   I have not done any rig work in many years, and then it was always someone else's truck.  BUT I can tell you this, reputation is your business....never take a job over your  head unless you have help better then you.  Always do every job like you never want to see it again and you will do ok.

Instead of financing yourself into a rig and all the tools you need ......maybe spend some time looking for a portable service near you that does  ANYTHING (fab, fit, weld, repair) "heavy equipment guys is a good place to start".  Walk in there shops cold and ask for work.  If they are good and busy chances are they will talk to ya.  Run someone else's rig for a bit and see what its about....then you can see for yourself pretty quick if you have the brass ones to run your own and make it fly. 

Yep (especially right now) you can make a killer living off your truck and your know how....but make no mistake your will work your a%% off for that money...and in the beginning you will work a buttload of hours you really ain't drawing any pay for...till you get a handle on what your doing.

My $.02
Tommy
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-03-2008 14:58
Very good advice so far.

Cut throat - oh yeah!

Tough the first couple years, you better believe it!

In the beginning you look at the hourly and how much you can make, but you dont realize, that you are now chasing 'YOUR OWN WORK'. What happens when you are slow, and can't find the work?
You still have to pay your hands, your insurance, your truck payment, your fuel, your rod and disks, your tires and your lunch.........and your Ramen noodles and hotdogs when you get home!

It's rough, and right now Michigan, (have family in Flint, and Alpena), is in a bad way economically.....

"Come west, young man.......................havent you been told...."  -  Toby Keith
Parent - - By abrahamx (*) Date 05-02-2008 18:44
care to elaborate on "shutdowns".  Here in MI in my trade(sheet metal) a shutdown is when GM, or Crystler shuts down for 2 weeks out of the year.  Then we move in and work our tails off for the two weeks.  What exactally were you refering to?  Shutdowns for a year?  Sorry for the newbie questions,  I am younger and not too experencied, and am just trying to learn. 
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 05-02-2008 23:06
What he means by shutdowns is just what you described.  A plant or mill will "shut down" their operations for a couple of weeks once or twice a year to make needed repairs, upgrades and critical PM's that otherwise cannot be done feaseably while under normal operation. This usually requires a great deal of help over and above the facilities normal maintenance crew.  This is where the contract employee comes in. Take a year of your time to go around the country and work these shutdowns for various contract companies.  Try looking on www.roadtechs.com 
Parent - By abrahamx (*) Date 05-03-2008 13:25
thanks, I will check out the link you offered.  So its possible to hit shutdowns all year long?  Any more info on pulling this off appreciated.  Thanks again.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / owning ones own rig??