Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metal Fume Fever and Welders Flash Burns
- - By Ashley0535 Date 05-02-2008 07:00
My boyfriend is a welder, he has been very ill lately. we are thinking it was a case of metal fume fever! His employer does not supply the respirators which I find completly unethical! Now today after working a double yesterday and today he came home with extreme flash burns! I took him to the ER that I work at as soon as we noticed how bad his eyes were. They gave him antiobiotics for his eyes and told him to patch them!
He wants to go back to work right away! He is so stubborn and thick headed! I told him these are the only eyes he will ever have and that he needs to take care of them! How long would you say till his eyes recover fully from these burns?

Another thing, I know there are OSHA standards to which these welding places must run by. His place of employment does not seem to have these. Do you think I should call OSHA and find out what I should do or tell them that his work does not provide them with the necessary things to maintain proper safety while at work? I just hate to see him so sick all the time and now with his eyes i mean its getting to be a bit much and he is missing a lot of work which he doesnt like to do either!

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated
Thanks
A concerned girlfriend
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 09:09
Metal fume fever is usually associated with welding on galvanized material.  The symptoms are very much like having a bad case of the flu.  The poisoning in this case is usually from an over-exposure to zinc and "normally" symptoms go away after a day.  Metal fume fever is very easy to avoid by just taking some precautions before welding.  Click here: http://files.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-25.PDF

Flash burns are very painful and feel like the eyes are full of sand. 

Click here: http://files.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-26.pdf

You can download the AWS Safety & Health Manual, Z49.1 for free 

Click here: http://www.aws.org/w/a/survey/standard.html?survey_start=z49_reqpdf

Now, this sounds like a problem with the employer's safety practice but your boyfriend should also bear some of the responsibility for these conditions as BOTH are easily minimized, or avoided all together with a small amount of pre-planning.  He should take steps to protect himself as welding has many hazards, most of which can be avoided or eliminated all together with some pre-thought to doing one's job.

If you contact OSHA, there is a pretty fair chance your boyfriend will eventually lose his job or be placed in such miserable conditions he'll be forced to quit.  I'd suggest that he discuss with his supervisor and maybe even express an interest in trying to avoid or correct these problems.

In the safety industry, he'll hear such slogans as "Safety begins with me" or "Safety First" - these are serious statements and intended to make workers aware of their personal responsibility in watching over their OWN health and safety, not relying on someone else to do it for them!

Finally, if he is injured seriously at some point, the first point of the investigation will be "was the worker following safety rules?"  Almost every company has a set of safety rules, insurance forces it.  If he wasn't following the rules, he could be fired IMMEDIATELY and unlikely to be able to gain any compensation.

This is serious stuff, you can imagine, I've spent some time writing this response.  The concerned girlfriend has good and valid concerns but the boyfriend also has to take some concern for watching out after himself and refusing to work in conditions or situations he feels is dangerous to his health.  Good luck.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-02-2008 09:57
Jon   what a wonderful reply....well done!!

To reinforce what Jon has told you....in a shop were galvanized metal is welded, good ventilation (vacs over the work station), and appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment) are a must.  Burning zinc produces toxic fumes which are not processed well by the liver but are easily ingested thru normal breathing.  Over exposure results in a condition I believe is referred to as "zinc oxide poisoning".  This can result in serious hospital stays...I have witnessed this in coworkers.  Thats what it sounds like from your post, not to alarm you, but as Jon already said this condition is easily avoided by preparation.  A home remedy to help with the symptoms, by no means a medical cure mind you, is to drink large amounts of whole milk after exposure (half gallon or so immediately when starting to feel ill).  ANY welding smoke or fumes will contain toxins that are not good for our health....but these can be controlled in a safe manner by something as simple as a fan blowing the fumes away from our breathing space or by using PPE designed for the situation.  I have been welding for 20+ years and have no welding associated health problems other then a few scars.

Flash burns to the eyes are easily prevented by a good and cheap welding hood.  In welding your eyes and your hands ARE your living.  If your boyfriend is welding then surely he has been provided a welding hood unless you are living in Sri-Lanka.  Many new welders are tempted to just close thier eyes instead of dropping thier hood when fitting parts and tacking them up....This is useless as your eyelids are too thin to prevent dangerous UV from getting thru.  If your boyfriend is properly using his hood then he should not have burned eyes.  Flash burns are serious business as well as the meds used to treat the pain....ponticane does damage to the nerves of the eye every time its used.  Some shops pack welders too close together and do not provide adequate blinds between welders....If this is the case for your boyfriend  he should address this condition with his peers and then with the supervisor.  If he is working in a place that will not discuss any safety issues with him openly and offer help in resolving them , well then he is wasting his time working there anyway.  I totally agree with Jon's comments above!!!

Another thing I can pass along to you is that the welding radiation can cause severe "sunburn" to the point of it being third degree.  Proper clothing is a MUST.  These severe burns can be EASILY acquired in an eight hour day.  I am not going to lie to you and tell you welding is a perfectly safe occupation.  In fact welding can be extremely dangerous and hazardous....however proper preparation and know how can make any welding job as safe as checking the mail in your mailbox.

If your boyfriend enjoys this type of work I suggest not trying to dissuade him but just encouraging him in the right way.  After all you went thru the trouble to come here and ask questions.  Welding can be an extremely personally rewarding career choice and in the US the income level is on a  very steep upswing...it can be very lucrative with the right experience. I wish yall luck with your endeavors, please post back a postscript of how things turn out for yall.

Regards
Tommy
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-02-2008 11:41
Boyfriends situation is less common now a days but still happens too often.

Here is where the rubber meets the road:

If management will not take care of fumes, boyfriend must make the effort to get his own resparator or find a better employer.

Sorry to kick a guy when he is down but the problems associated with flash burns rest totally on boyfriend... Plain approved clear safety glasses filter out 99.9% of UV light (the cause of flashburns).  Boyfriend was not wearing safety glasses in the shop area. Flashburns simply won't happen if the worker is prepared.

With approved safety glasses you can work near multiple welders and not get flashburns in the eyes... But, you can get burns over the rest of your body if any skin is exposed.  It may be uncomfortable, but covering up all skin is strategy welders develop if they want to remain in the trade.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 12:32
Lawrence,
A good disposable respirator that I supply for our guys when they have to weld on galvanized materials is the 3M #8514.
Attachment: 3M8514.pdf (192k)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 14:36 Edited 05-02-2008 18:42
Ashley0535,
  You have received very good advice and opinions. I would suggest taking it all in and maybe do a search on the forum for metal fume fever, flash burns, and welding galvanized, if in fact your boyfriend does weld on galvanized material, as these have been the topics of many a discussion here. After doing this, you and your boyfriend will have an abundance of information that can be applied to whatever his situation is.

It is good to see that you have the concern for his health and safety, as it appears his employer may not. And It very well may have alot to do with his work habits as well. Or maybe a lack of proper safety education.

One thing to remember is that, no matter what steps the company takes towards safety, it only works if the employee makes it work. I can give an employee a new pair of glasses every day, but if he sets them on his tool box and does not wear them, they will not work.

Keep us posted, and good luck,
John
Parent - - By MICHAEL B (*) Date 05-02-2008 18:36
All very good advice, just a caution to add. The boyfriend CANNOT just go out and get a respirator. All shop employees who wear respirators must have a medical evaluation to ensure they are healthy enough to wear one. Reason being, a respirator puts a tremendous amount of stress on the heart. If OSHA does come in and these evaluations are not filed, the company and the individual could be looking at a hefty fine. These medical evaluations and respirators are REQUIRED to be covered by the employer. As far as the healing time for flash burn to the eyes, the eyes are the fastest healing part of the body. I know it is very unconfortable, but unless an extreme circumstance, the eyes should be pretty much healed in a day or so.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 18:45
MICHAEL B,
  You are correct, OSHA and fit tests for the use of certain respirator's can be a real bear. :-)

John
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 18:57 Edited 05-02-2008 19:10
Hi Michael,
OSHA does give the employer some room here in regards to the respirator program and voluntary use. For voluntary use only....the employer only needs to educate the respirator wearer on the proper fitment and usage of the respirator, this must also be documented and kept on file in case of an audit. [see 29 CFR 1910.134(c)(2)(i)]

I have a small number of guys who may wear a disposable respirator once or twice a year, so it makes it hard to justify sending them through a full fledged respirator program like I do for my painters who wear one everyday.

edit: I agree with your statement though about being "fit" or "medically eligible" to wear a respirator for the causes you stated above. Maybe the BF could take one of those disposable 3M #8514's to his Dr and get a written permission slip for wearing the respirator when he feels like he needs to.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 19:14 Edited 05-02-2008 19:20
John,
  Correct. Some companys will not even provide the mask for voluntary use.

See this site.

http://www.jjkeller.com/ideaoftheweek/idea1446.htm

jrw

edited the link for ya ;-)
JW
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 19:22
Just an FYI.....Don't forget to copy the "http://" part of the links...if you want them to be "clickable"
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-02-2008 19:32
Thanks buddy, I caught it when I posted under safety and fixed it there. You beat me back over to this one. LOL :-)

John
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-02-2008 19:30
We have to be trained to use a respirator at GE.  They won't even let us use a thin paper mask without a cert.  I am constantly forced to breathe in sanding dust (from metallography mounts) with epoxy and Lucite - which I am allergic to.  My sinuses itch, and become inflamed, and I sneeze.  If I bring in my own paper mask from home, I am in violation.  They even say no to that.  Go figure.
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 05-02-2008 22:13
http://www.welding-rods-lawsuits.com/

Have your boyfriend print this out and leave them around the shop along with this one showing the NEW OSHA rules involving metal fumes:

http://www.aws.org/wj/feb03/washington.html

Welding fumes and welding rod related illness are the new target for the trial lawyers.  His employer would be wise to take steps to avoid being a target. 

He also needs to get smart and take care of himself.  WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!  Also, look for a new job.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metal Fume Fever and Welders Flash Burns