Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Active Pipeline Jobs for the Contract Welder
- - By Bert Ross Date 05-02-2008 23:30
I am looking for my first pipeline contract job. I have been welding pressure vessels for years and have decided to go out on my own. I have secured resources for my rig. Now I need to find the work. I have heard that TransCanada is putting in a lengthy pipeline? Can anyone point me in the direction of locating and securing employment in this field?

Thanks,
Welding Ross
Parent - By CK Welding (**) Date 05-03-2008 00:12
There is no securing a job in this field "your only as good as your last weld".  I would suggest finding a pipeline outfit in the yellow pages or on the net and calling them asking if they are looking for welders.  Don't let them know you are new to it,  set up the test, go in their like you own the place, show them what you have.  Actions speak louder than words anyways!

Thats how I would break out anyways but I would like to hear some others commet on this one.    Respectfully, COLT
Parent - - By psyco33 (**) Date 05-03-2008 00:27
[deleted]
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-03-2008 05:53
psyco33,
The "chip on your shoulder" regarding CWIs will get you nowhere in future life.
There are a lot of CWIs on this forum (myself included) who spend a hell of a lot of our spare time helping welders with advice from our past experiences as welders.
To suggest you have finally found an "honest" CWI is cr.p.
In 10 years of being a CWI I have never had a problem with a competent welder, even when I have failed his test.
The only problems I have had is with welders who are not competent.
I suggest you have a good look in the mirror before you go blaming the CWIs for the reason you are failing your tests.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-03-2008 14:32
Shane,

I applaud your response!

From an honest CWI who knows what it's like to take certification tests.
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 05-03-2008 21:07
look up jomax pipeline they are always looking for welders
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-04-2008 00:34
Shane,
Ditto
BABRT's
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 05-04-2008 01:46
I was on that Lauren job for a month or so. That QC you're talking about is a pretty out there character, he's definitely lacking in the people skills department. That said, I haven't run across very many dishonest QC's at all, and I've been a welder for 30 years.
BTW, that guy is NOT a CWI, he failed the test twice. I was the only one on that job with a CWI card, and I was welding. :-)
Parent - - By abrahamx (*) Date 05-04-2008 12:55
sorry, but whats a cwi?  I assume qc is quility control?
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 05-04-2008 15:36
Certified Welding Inspector, by the AWS - American Welding Society
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Active Pipeline Jobs for the Contract Welder