Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding natual gas pipe line...
- - By LongArc (**) Date 05-03-2008 17:44
I'm the new guy on the block. I was an R stamp welder for a boiler company. I can pass a 6G stick. I finished welding a 2.5" natual gas line for a mechanical company. They are going to test it with 100lbs of air presure, then spy for leaks. I feel confident but you never now. Most of the welding done in 5G position was done on a 20 foot ladder. I learned you can roll it with chain grips, weld it in posion while the pipe in in the hangars (9:00 to 12:00) roll it, Then slide each section down. I had about 7-8 welds this way then the prefab was on the ground. I had 2 5G in paosion welds in the ladder it was far from the walls. I was in brefore the framers so it was pretty smooth. Any tips for faster speed and quality insurace are greatly apperacited. Thanks....
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-03-2008 17:52
I'm going to give you another advice than the one you're expecting for.
Take care with the pressurized air test, it's very dangerous and extreme safety precautions must be taken before doing it.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-04-2008 04:14 Edited 05-04-2008 04:17
Paul Hendricks from Pennsylvania, welds on a daily basis, live natural gas lines! He would have NO problem with that! Some of the pressures he deals with are in excess of 200 p.s.i.!
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 05-04-2008 15:31
Whats your point?
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-04-2008 19:08
Yes, he's got no problems because he, or the company he works for, takes those safety precautions when making an air pressure test.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 05-03-2008 21:55
HI, Longarc I work alot w/a plumber companies must of the work is in position (5g) or prefab in the rig, what I do is; I weld 2 section at a time turned it w/ the chain clam, whent every 2 sections are welded then weld it together a section of 2 sections and so on, usudly doing 2 or3 welds in fixed positon. the way I don,t have any leaks is because I used e6010 rod up hill, about 85 amps and e7018 3/32 up hill hot aroun 85 amps for fill and cap, and don'n worry about the presure test usully the welder don't have to be arount whent testing, thats the costumer (on this case plumbers) job.    
Parent - By Robert Turney (*) Date 05-05-2008 03:59
I weld for a natural gas company, and everything we test at one and a half times the MAOP.  Everything on distribution pressure is air tested, high pressure is tested with nitrogen and a chart box, and very little hydro testing.  As long as you get your root in good you shouldnt have any problems. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding natual gas pipe line...