Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Helmet
- - By Tnwelder (**) Date 04-30-2008 00:30
Hey guys I was just wondering what type of welding helmet you all use.  The reason im asking because im in the market for a new one.  I want an auto darking helmet because i like my now but it is getting a little beat up. Another reason is because i just got my first welding job and im going to be under the hood alot.  Mine now does not have a very big viewing lens so i need one that has one.  I have heard of alot of good brands like Miller, Jackson, Lincolns, and others.  Just wondering which you all think is the best for the money. The brands i have looked at are really expensive. Thanks again guys.

Tnwelder
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-30-2008 00:54
Don't get Radnor. First lens I had would burn your eyes, second one doesn't lighten after wedling stops. i had a hobart that was better.
Had a solex insert that worked real well. Miller elite is a real nice helmet.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-30-2008 00:56
Speedglass
Parent - By welderdude (**) Date 04-30-2008 00:59
Lincoln HSL100 with a shade 11 gold 4 1/2" x 5 1/4" lens.  I don't like the small windows.  it's like the difference between driving with your eyes squinted and with your eyes wide open.  I used to use an automatic, but i've found the regular lenses to be a bit easier to maintain and more reliable.  I don't have to worry about batteries, getting it wet, getting it dirty, freezing temps, accidentally dropping it, etc.  also, I love the gold lens's color, and you can't get that color in an automatic.  plus, they're cheaper!
Parent - By mody454 (**) Date 04-30-2008 01:29
optrel satilite   i swear by them love it  dont  plan to own anything else  even like it better than the speed glass  like 9 dif settings and a grind mode  never had any problems with it  and i put it thru hell  even spilled a coke in it  took the lens out thru the helmit in dish washer cleaned up the lens and still works like a champ  wouldnt recomend putting it thru that test but 3 year olds tend to do that kind of thing  also head gear is real important to me and optrel has good head gear and you can adjust how close it is to your face  view is 2x4  some people dont like the idea of controls on outside but i never had any prob with them being out there  and no on off switch auto   i used to have on off switch i always forget to turn it on and bam   stay away from radnor i had that cobra junk too  knob broke off like the first time i looked at it   bunch of guyts say the millers start getting lines thru them   but i dont know never ran one   optrels are pricy  like the speed glass and they have special lenses on outside that are pricy   but all money well spent in my opinion
Parent - - By bbwinc (**) Date 04-30-2008 01:49
Just picked up a speedglas sl ,nice and light 12.6 oz kind of a funky head gear but all in all nice hood ,had good luck with speedglas in the past so i"ll stick with the brand. Thats my 2 cents
Parent - By bbwinc (**) Date 04-30-2008 01:51
And i think they have a $30 dollar rebate going on right now
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-30-2008 02:23
Arc One auto darkening lenses are pretty good, lower/mid price range.
Parent - - By abrahamx (*) Date 04-30-2008 03:31
your eyes are only about an inch or less from the lens.  Why one needs a big lens is beyond me, when one is that close in the first place.
Parent - By Robert Turney (*) Date 05-01-2008 02:53
I have a Radnor 10 shade auto darkening in a fibre metal hood and i have had nothing but good luck with it.  Guess its all about what works for you personally.
Parent - By gawelder (**) Date 05-02-2008 00:43
I have a Nex/Gen from Jackson,I haven't had any problems with it. I have had it about three years.
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 05-02-2008 01:14
pancake with a lincoln supervisabilty shade 8
Parent - - By Fusion W (*) Date 05-06-2008 04:43
Hey texastigwelder what brand of pancake do you have? 
Parent - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 05-07-2008 00:46
sarges
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 05-02-2008 04:37
I use a Hobart XTP Auto dark. It has 9-13 variable shade, Variable Sensitivity and variable Dark to Clear settings. I have had no problems at all with this Hood and i only spent $229.00 for it. I also have a KT Industries Hood with the same features, but it has smaller view and weighs a great deal more. My Hobart weighs only 16oz That makes a big difference when you're under the hood for extended periods. With the sensitivity settings you can weld out doors in bright sun and not have it go dark on you until you actually strick an arc. It also helps to keep you protected from the arc of some one welding close to you.
well that's just my $0.02 worth.
respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-02-2008 10:59 Edited 05-02-2008 11:06
abrahamx  "your eyes are only about an inch or less from the lens.  Why one needs a big lens is beyond me, when one is that close in the first place."    No offense meant fella, but how much out of position welding have you done?  pipe, under a truck, boiler work (oh jeez), fine tig work , laying down held by your feet and reaching as far as you can, etc.  I have a lot of different hoods, each with a different job in mind...because I NEED THEM.  Not trying to be a jerk really man....but some jobs I simply could not see what was happening without the right setup.

Understand that NO auto lenses go absolutely clear...the lightest shade when off I know about is shade 3 in clear state...thats like wearing heavy sunglasses all the time.

Speedglass makes good safe solid stuff!

Optrel is the BOMB!  really sick well thought out high quality stuff!  Optics are probably the best overall of anyone doing the electronic lenses.  most innovative optic company in the industry as far as I can tell.

Miller is alright (overpriced in my book)....I am more impressed by aspects of headgear then the optics.  But having said that it is quality stuff.

Avoid the cheap crap (its your eyes after all and you were only given two)...most of the chinese cheap stuff has very slow reaction times  and really crappy shading evenness..fine for hobby very light welding but definitely not up to snuff for day in day out professional work. If you are going to go auto..get over it and spend the money on some quality optics.

But alas I am a diehard jackson fan.....headgear is basic but universal and reliable and can get it anywhere....hoods have always been rock solid and dependable whether abusing with arc gouging in a bad spot or just laying down lots of high amperage weld.   My current favorite is a jackson halo (just because I am tig welding all day in shop)  Its SUPER LIGHT!!!  there fore I can put a large vision electronic lens in and the weight is not so terrible.  I am using a BOSS eqc....its the most consistent lens I have ever seen as far as EVEN shading across the entire field of vision..super clarity=no haze like with some autos...it is serious high quality optics like optrel.......its also the largest avaliable.  Nexgens are great if your doing in the field work...but the shading leaves a lot to be desired.  The halo hood does not give super coverage like a shadow or some of the millers cloned after a shadow but ...if you wear dark clothing or use leather its the shiznit because of its sheer lack of weight.  I would not consider the halo at all if I was doing arc-gouging, lots of flame cutting, lots of out of position gmaw or smaw!  Butt the BOSS lens is fantastic and will fit a lot of hoods.

If you use an auto lens like intended and hardly ever flip your hood up you will enjoy it.....if you insist on flipping up and walking around that way you will hate it because the weight of the lens will work your nerves and your neck. 

Good luck with your choices
Tommy
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 05-02-2008 11:52
tommy you hit the nail on the head  optrel is the way to go
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-02-2008 12:23
mody454
If your serious about it...its hard to argue with what those guys offer...and they build quality product..you definitely get what you pay for with optrel.  I just happen to like someone else's all around tig solution as opposed to thiers.
Parent - By mody454 (**) Date 05-03-2008 23:56
oh im serious optrel fan  love what they have done but i heard someone bought them out and i hope they dont go jackin with a good thing
Parent - - By showme Date 05-03-2008 23:11
I have a Miller Performance Series Xlix, Orange County Choppers, Paul Jr. model that I won as a door prize at an Airgas open house in Farmington, New Mexico. It's neat. Has cool graphics (lightning bolts and spiderwebs and OCC). It has the solar panel to recharge the battery while I'm welding. It has variable shade and speed controls. My buds ooh and ahh over it. It has a retail price of $369. But I don't use it. I'm afraid I'll mess it up! So I just take it to work on different jobs and show it to other Ironworkers, then put it back in it's custom carry bag and carry it back home. Sure is nice, though!! :) Besides that, I use my bottom-of-the-line $19 big window Jackson and a #10 gold omni view lens. If it falls off of a building or bridge, I won't cry.
Parent - By jesusno2 (*) Date 05-04-2008 18:11
I also have a jackson nexgen hellraiser hood I"ve had it about 2 years now and it still works great. i like it because it has the built in torch and grind settings so i don't have to carry any other gear with me.
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 05-05-2008 13:19
I prefer huntsman hoods, decent price and they are short so work well for pipefitters.
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 05-06-2008 03:21 Edited 05-06-2008 03:31
Shade 11 wide lense fibre metal here.  The only downside I've found with it is that when you have to grind or buff a weld, there is no flip up.  IMO, m'thinks Fibre Metal should make a wide lense flip up.

Because I'd only used curved face helmets, I wanted to see what the difference between a curved and straight face was and as such, picked one up.  If you do a lot of overhead or out of position welding above neck level, they're great.  If not, get a curved face.  I had to ductape a piece of leather I cut from an old welding jacket to eliminate the glare or light from below.

I have an optrel satelite kicking around work somewhere, but I only use it for cutting.  *shrugs*
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 05-06-2008 03:53
Usually wearing a hankerchef around the neck with short hoods eliminates the awkward tan line.
Parent - By Tnwelder (**) Date 05-06-2008 14:33
Guys thanks for the help. I have read every post and put them all in consideration. I have been looking at jackson and miller. Probably going to go with jackson because they are light and durable. I have looked at optrel and they are nice but i like jackson.  Thanks to all that posted and hope to talk again.  In the mean time ill be under the hood welding stainless steel.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Helmet