Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / In search of....
- - By tvslady Date 05-07-2008 18:17
I am in search of the local union chapter for the Northn Virginia Metro area. I am located in the Manassas area and am extremely interested in the welding field. I have no issues with hard work and am more than willing to start below the bottom to learn the trade in full. I have been told by a few welders I know that I first have to join the union. Any information relative to this is more than greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-07-2008 19:12
www.laborerslocal980.org/  Just kidding..  What kind of local are you looking to get into?  I prefer to be one of those pipefitter guys, but that's just an opinion.  So what do ya want to be?
Parent - - By tvslady Date 05-07-2008 19:26
Since I have to start somewhere first, I am looking at being a helper for a period of time on the pipeline here on the east coast. Not sure of which job-specific line as of yet. My friends that are welders are wanting me to look hard at pipefitter. The scariest part is changing careers. I am currently a waitress but have dual Bachlors in the IT industry. I have been an IT hardware field engineer for the past 23 years. Hardware is no longer the place to be in the IT industry. Too many kids with no clue are killing the pay scale for those of us well seasoned. Any advice/help in this field are greatly appreciated.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-07-2008 19:52
Google Steamfitters for your area (though I'm orginally from out west). Ask them about the Apprenticeship Program. And since your a lady ( assuming from your name) there is often considerable demand.
And you're right, making a career change after that many years is scary.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-07-2008 20:21
No,
You do not HAVE to join the union! How ever being unfamiliar with the industry, call your UA Pipefitters, Boilermakers or Ironworkers business agent (easy to find in the yellow pages). It could very well be a quick and easy "one stop shopping", and there is probably no better or higher respected training.
Also just for the heck of it, spend a little time with the search function in this site and there is plenty of advice and pointers for others with your same goals. The opportunities are endless
I personally don't agree with unions and would seek other avenues (I paid for my own training at a State Technical College and was able to pick up financial assistance and side work while in school), but, they (unions) have provided an "earn while you learn" for untold thousands of workers.
From my personal observations, Women statistically on the average make better welders than men. My last project, we had 2 women "brother-in-lawing" boiler tubes and chrome alloys (x-rayed pipe), never failed an NDE and made my QC surveilance easier than some of the intense monitoring that was necessary with many of their multi-chromosomed counterparts.
Do not let any negative stereotypes disuade you. Heck, I even taught my daughters to GTAW. In this day and age, law suits and safety rules have pretty much taken "the heavy lifting" out of most of the trades.
Go for it!
Best of luck to you.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / In search of....