Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "Multiple" or "Single Electrode" WQR
- - By MErboe Date 11-07-2002 20:02
I was wondering if anyone could help me with the technical definition of a 'single or multiple electrode' process. I have to certify welders using a converted SAW to FCAW Machine for welding fillet welds in the 2F position on both sides of the joint simultaneously,(staggered 4" apart). Would the fact there are two different power sources make any difference in being a multiple or single electrode process??? The reason I ask is, the code book (D1.1), section 4 does not address the question for Weld Operator qualification for 1/4" single pass fillets on both sides of the test plate. (refer to Figure 4.19 D1.1-98 & 00, single pass on one side and multiple pass on opposite side)

Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-07-2002 20:58
My understanding of multiple electrodes is 2 or more electrodes providing filler metal to the same weld puddle, at the same time. Your situation, as I understand the explanation, is a single electrode aplication. You have 2 fillet welds, each one on opposite sides, not a CJP groove welded from 2 sides simultaneously. In fact, even if the electrodes were not staggered 4", but were directly opposite each other, you still have 2 fillets.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-08-2002 13:21
MErboe,
Are you using FCAW? If so, your WPS and WQR should state "single electrode".(my opinion)

SAW is defined as a process that uses an arc or arcs (singular and plural)between bare metal electrode or electrodes and the weld pool.
-per D1.1:2002 annex B

FCAW is defined as a process that uses an arc (singular only) between a continuous filler metal electrode and the weld pool.
-per D1.1:2002 annex B

But I'm not sure how you would classify it, if you are using only one power source. I've not seen two FCAW Fillet welds being run at the same time on the same machine. Maybe someone else has experience in running muliple wire feeders off the same power source.

Keep a watch on your post I'm sure someone can help with this.
John Wright

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-08-2002 13:29
Maybe I misread your post, You did mention two power sources. I don't think two welders running two FCAW machines on opposites sides of the plate at the same time should qualify for any thing other than "single elcetrode". We have two welders welding on the same piece and sometimes they are on opposite sides from each other.
Hope this helps,
John Wright
Parent - By MErboe Date 11-18-2002 20:44
I would like to thank everyone who gave input on this question - Mike
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "Multiple" or "Single Electrode" WQR