Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 6013 Reverse Polarity ???
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By flange jockey (*) Date 05-10-2008 20:31
lawrence i agree with you as regards training with 6013, as regards inspection etc of my work i would prefer not to get into that, i think that it would turn this thread into me personally ,and not the rods. nice one with the grinder. i will just have to hope you see it as confidence and not arrogance, i think the advice without the pics that now would have been arrogant. f/j
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 05-12-2008 03:37
Alright, I'm on to you now flange jockey. I see what looks like two toothpicks holding the slag together just to the left of the bolt hole. Am I right?

J/K. That's some good looking welds.
Parent - - By andrewsullivan9 (*) Date 05-11-2008 13:19 Edited 05-11-2008 13:22
I reckon your 6013 welds are more than good enough for standard water pipes, but if you were to have them tested i think you will probably find porosity buried at the start stops along with lack of fusion at the start stops, i always use low hy rods normally 7018 3/32 for water piping like that. But i might try welding some piping with 6013 rods and send it off to get xrayd to see how they compare. What brand of 6013 rods are you welding with flange jockey?
Parent - - By flange jockey (*) Date 05-11-2008 15:49
andrew thanks for your time, i hope you try them, i am familiar with 7018 but as this thread concerns 6013 i won,t post pics. tell the truth im more used to 7016. perhaps its just me but i can feel a couple of qc or inspector types breathing hard down my back. just waiting to pounce. does this sound familiar to anyone,please not on my time lads. andrew as there was a post last week concerning the manufacturer of these rods i won,t mention them in protest. knock yourself out on the test. f/j
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 05-13-2008 00:23
man ur so cool were u workin so i can come meet u, ur my hero, lets get u a buket full of hyp+ or 70+ put u on a firin line and see how cocky u are then lol
Parent - By Shooter71 (**) Date 05-15-2008 05:34
The 6013 I've used burns like 6010 and doesn't have slag like that. Is that a 6013 cap or lo-hy?
Parent - - By flange jockey (*) Date 05-15-2008 22:12
tex enough. listen i would seriously like to know, a little more  about your game and the way you operate, a lad your age in your game, well it says a lot. if you don,t mind, a message if you like,we shouldn,t take this too seriously.best of luck. f/j superflux i appreciate you sending your message privately i read back and i was rude ,it won,t happen again, i noticed a thread a while back but i cant find it, someone asked the difference in a 6013  cap and a 7018 , i had this pic on my phone camera the left hand pipe is 6013 5g the other is 7018 4 quarters. f/j
Parent - - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 05-16-2008 23:31
ok, im going to sound like the dumb one here... but this is bugging me. In school we ran a bit of 6013 all flat but we ran it AC. The little I was taught about 6013 is that its an AC rod used for light gauge welding or when appearence is important, and that it wasnt as good for out of position.
Now, this whole thread seems to be proving my teachers wrong... 
Were my teachers lying to me, or was I not getting the whole picture?

BTW, the few 6013s ive burned were quite enjoyable, loved watching the slag peel off on its own.

Nice welds Flange Jockey, very shiny :)

thank you all,
-Clif
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-17-2008 01:22
Hello Clif, I don't necessarily believe your instructors were lying to you so much as not including much information about this rod due to it's limited use in certain geographical areas or industries and possibly also related to not being allowed by certain codes and applications. When I was in school, E6013 was often referred to as "farmers" rod, hence the possibility that there are not many industrial type applications of it in certain areas. This is not to say that the rod can't have applications in an industrial setting as can be witnessed by flange jockeys use of it. Hope that makes sense. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-17-2008 16:59 Edited 05-17-2008 17:04
Come on now PlasmaBrain.

Don't blame it on your teachers  :)

The third digit of E6013 (1) tells you that it's an all position rod.

The fourth digit (3) tells you that it may be used with all polarities (a different characteristic for each polarity)

Your teachers told you all that  !!!!!  :)

Did your school require textbooks per chance?  I'm sure all that information was to be found nestled within the pages with charts and graps to support it no doubt.   :)

6013 is super versatile

With DCEP it has its deepest penetration profiles and suits best for structural applications.

With DCEN it has shallow penetration and quicker burnoff so it is better suited for sheet metal and vertical down operations.

With AC the penetration profile is someplace between the two polarities and has the added benefit of eliminating arc blow and being usable on the least expensive power supplies (the buzz box)

PS:  Having just given another final exam on Thursday. I can assure you that a piece of information may be communicated many different times and in many different ways, even so... The information may not be absorbed even for a short amount of time.
Parent - - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 05-21-2008 02:16
Lawrence, I vaguely remember hearing about how to tell different rods apart by the numbers, and what they meant, but about all that stuck did the first 2 digits equal the tensile strength. The polarity and position of the rods are lost to me, and there's a trace in my memory of something to do with the type of flux coating being associated to the numbers on the rod. Other than that it was in one ear and out the other.

Having said that I fully acknowledge that it was my own doing if I failed to remember what I was taught. My teachers were all top notch welders and I'm grateful to have learned under them. Sorry if i made it seem like i was blaming them.
I didn't pay much attention to the different stick rods because all we had to "play" with was 6010, 6013, and 7018. Pretty much all 7018 V grooves with 6010 roots for pipe, then 7018 fill. The 6013 was used to train students how to strike an arc and hold a puddle, all flat.
That and most of the jobs around the area are MIG/Flux core, so that's what I was paying more attention to. ;)

I'll have to go get a box of 6013 and try some vert and overhead and see what it's like. 

-Clif
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-21-2008 05:09
Clif, bear in mind that unlike people, not all 6013's are created equal. In My old Hobart Vest pocket guide they offer (4) different 6013 rods and an iron poder version that latter became a 6014. Of the (4) 6013's offered they each handled slightly differently and were optumised for different aplications. I don't know what is offered today, as My "up to date" literature is about 15 years old.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 6013 Reverse Polarity ???
1 2 Previous Next