Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 2g pipe test
- - By weaver (***) Date 05-13-2008 00:07
hey guys, I've been running coupons  for a severe test on sch 80 pipe and this test is really eating my lunch, uphill root 3/32 gap 30 degree bevell i've almost got it , but any advice would be much appreicated thanks..
Parent - By bbwinc (**) Date 05-13-2008 01:28
Hi weaver, I've had to struggle threw just about every problem a guy has trying to get to x-ray standerds and got it down pretty solid now. Lets here what the problems are ? This forum and lots of 5p is what got me straightend out ,thanks again fellas!!!!
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 05-13-2008 13:30
I am a bit confused.  You stated 2G.  In the post you say uphill.  2G pipe the joint is on the horizontal plane, or parallel to the floor/ground.  5G the joint is vertical, or perpendicular to the floor/ground.  These are for pipe.  Do you mean uphill, as your bead sequence?  The method of how you stack your welds into the joint. 
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 05-13-2008 23:54
sorry about that, 2'' sch 80 pipe, 6g postion(45deg) thanks...
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-14-2008 02:35
Are you running 3/32 or 1/8 rod? Assuming 3/32 for root, what are you running for hot pass? I usually see 3/32 6010 root, 3/32 7018 hot pass, fill, and two bead cap for this procedure. Grinding the root to expose wagon tracks, then wire brushing tracks, then running 7018 hot pass hot enough to boil out tracks is the way I've always done it. Well, I've also seen downhill 6010 hot pass but that is not going to be found on a WPS, I don't believe.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-14-2008 09:00
weaver,    in addition to what stringer said.....
2"  6G is all about speed, agility and a limber wrist (contortionist ... see prerequisite job skills). Fortunately (benefit of the sch 80) , there's enough mass/heat sink to get a full revolution (pass) around the pipe unless you are trying to weave, which by the way you should be running tight stringers in the 6G position. Still, do not let the pipe get hot on you. Let it cool down between passes, let a fan gently blow on it like the cooling fan at the back of the machine. On small bore, I like to "choke up on the rod"...or only use 2/3rds or 1/2 of the rod. Place rod in stinger approximately 1/2 way, then bend rod (the dead end) say 60 degrees, spin dead end 1 revolution minimum, wiggle it if necessary to clean off flux and provide good electrical contact to rod and stinger, finish bending dead end so it doesn't arc out on anything, do a mock/dry run to make sure you will maintain the proper angle for the entire length of bead ie. 1/2 way or 180 degrees...right??
It will be all about ablity to feed for melt off , rotate the wrist and contort upper body for angle of the dangle (proper leading angle of electrode) and maintaining line of sight on your puddle and where your weld is being laid down...There it is , piece of cake OK?? Did that help or are you thoroughly confused??? I think I am!
I think the most important part is the dry run so you know it will all come together B4 hand.

hope this helps

ps. on the up hill down hill, if you were refering to stacking the beads, on groove welds, always start at the bottom and progress uphill, sometimes on like overhead fillets, you can get away with stacking the beads from top to bottom, but I'm still not in favor of it. Yes often times they will look better, but thats because of improper bead sequencing, lack of planning (can't weld!!) and usually provides the UT technician, a chance to hone slag entrapment evaluation skills.
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 05-14-2008 11:58
"The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate, to the heat of the meat........"  HaHaHa  Gotta love it.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 05-16-2008 04:30
Roger Superflux's admonishment about not letting 2" get hot. I can't count how many welders I saw pass a 6", run a nice half root in a two and then watch in horror as they proceed to major meltdown on remaining root. Take your time. Cap undercut is also a common fault of hot two inch coupon tests.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 2g pipe test