Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of A36 Anchor Bolt (1.5" dia.)
- - By apatel Date 05-29-2008 14:37
Out of 4 anchor bolts that anchor the foundation for a railroad signal pole, 2 of the anchor bolts are broken/sheared off. What is the best method of repairing the 1.5 " diameter bolts? Is it welding or sleeve repair? ASTM indicates that a A36 bolt material is weldable. Please help.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-29-2008 15:02
is it possible to use a coupler?
Parent - - By apatel Date 05-29-2008 15:16
A coupler - Probably. However, I feel that welding another piece of similar material would be quick. For the coupler, the existing 2 bolts would have to be threaded. Welding would not need as much prework. Besides, we'll eventually have a solid piece similar to original. This provided that an A36 is weldable, which I think it should be. Correct me if I'm wrong on this or please recommend.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-29-2008 15:23
a36 is weldable with the proper procedure.
Parent - - By apatel Date 05-29-2008 15:28
Thank You! A certified welder, I'm sure, knows the proper procedure for acceptability.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-29-2008 15:32
Actually a certified welder should work only from an approved welding procedure.
Parent - - By apatel Date 05-29-2008 16:24
Do you or anyone have an approved welding procedure/method for a A36 anchor bolt 1.5" dia.?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-29-2008 17:15
The company performing the welding or the people who hire the welders should have a written welding procedure (for all joints to be welded) submitted to the engineer of record on that project for approval, before any welding is allowed to take place. Then the welders will work from that approved WPS.

As for whether I have any approved procedures......I have many welding procedures written and they get submitted before the start of any job and approved, but they belong to the company that I work for.

If we knew a bit more about the relation you have with the anchors that need to be welded we could help guide you better. Are you the erector, the general contractor, architech, engineer, or what?....

I work as a QA/QC manager for a structural fabricator and our company deals with many phases of steel construction from the anchor bolts to the roof deck, so maybe I can help if I knew more about your situation and who the players are(no need to name anyone...just their function...erector, contract welder, etc....)
Parent - - By apatel Date 05-29-2008 18:07
Absolutely John! I am an independant consultant engineer in contract with a major contractor (specificaly the QC dept.) who are the CMGC (construction manager general contractor) for a large transit (RR) project for a transit agency. I will be signing and sealing the proposed method of repair. The anchor bolts in question were damaged (someone probably ran over them at night). The repair procedure shall be submitted by the contractor to the agency (their GEC will review and approve it actually) for approval before any work on this can begin. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-29-2008 19:50
A36 is definitely weldable.  Someone ran over 1.5 anchor rods and they sheared off? They must have been driving a tank.  How much projection do you have remaining? Of that projection, how much of the rod is salvageable? One way to repair the anchor rods by welding is, if possible, to make a square cut just below the damaged area.  For the splice rod, grind a 45 degree bevel all the way around so that it looks sort of like a sharpened pencil, and weld it.  Another way would be to bevel the rod extension 45 degrees on one side so as to resemble a chisel point, and weld it.

If you provide your email address, I'll send you a copy of Some Practical Aspects of Column Base Plate Selection, from 1989, which shows the beveled extension method.  
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-29-2008 20:22
Are you sure that the anchor is A36?
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 05-29-2008 20:36
since A36 does come in round bar ...it could be a fabricated threaded round stock anchor.
Parent - - By apatel Date 05-29-2008 20:47
Thanks Scott for all your help on this. My e-mail: anuj-patel@sbcglobal.net
The anchor rod is infact a A36. The rod is sheared off right at the foundation level. So, concrete needs to be chipped out to get a clean cut on the remaining portion of rod. The embedded part is good 3 ft. into the foundation drilled shaft. The extension part is 6" - 8".

Thanks again.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-29-2008 21:33
A quick question. if the rod is not threaded, how is it secured to the base plate
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 05-30-2008 04:02
I believe he means the 2 broken ones are not threaded due to being broke!
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-30-2008 14:21
i guess that is one of those things you just need to think about for a minute to understand. thanks
Parent - - By apatel Date 06-02-2008 15:01
Basically, the four anchor rods w/threads in the projection part, were projecting from the foundation/drilled shaft. Per the schedule, the pole was not due to be erected onto the four rods until some time. I suspect that the foundation & rods were not protected and hence someone ran over them with a heavy equipment, I suppose. Two of the rods that were not affected are fine and does have the threads. So, the ones that broke off needs repair. Hope that clears some confusion. Thanks
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 06-02-2008 22:14
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of A36 Anchor Bolt (1.5" dia.)