Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aerosol Cans in the Welding Shop
- - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-31-2007 04:47
How does your shop policy address using aerosol cans in the welding areas?  I'm interested in use more than storage.  It seems between paint, degreasers, lubricants, dye penetrant products etc. there are a lot of aerosol cans used on the shop floor. Just wondering what types of restrictions or precautions you may have in your shop.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-31-2007 17:40
We limit the use of flammable materials to areas where no hot work is happening at that time.  (Notice that I didn't say no flammables in the welding area, just not at the same time.  If thaty can't be avoided, we increase ventilation (open doors, etc) to reduce the risk.
Flammable material usage must be addressed on our daily Activity Plans, which address the hazards and preventative actions.

Our anti-spatter spray is water based and dispensed in "pump" bottles.

Our horses are made of HSS 4 x 4 x 1/4 but the ends are capped to prevent sliding an aerosol can inside.  As you know, steel horses take a lot of abuse and we don't want to find spray can under an torch nick.

Maintenance and painting areas are separate from production areas in order to limit the need for using aerosol products near ignition sources.

That's about it.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-31-2007 19:51
Chet, Ron

Thanks for the input so far...Everyone seems to have a written plan for storage but right now only one client has included a written plan which calls for cans to be inside a toolbox when being transported through the welding areas and for no welding, arcing, grinding etc. to be performed within 50' of the person (usually an inspector) that is using them.  I'm just trying to get a feel for methods that others are using to address this problem.

~thirdeye~
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 01-31-2007 17:42
I have already pulled out all my hair, talked till I get blue in the face and they still keep coming back. All on there own. They just get up and walk over to the weld shop when nobody is looking. I ven cought a small Propane canister wandering around near the weld shop. I think it was headed over to the cutting table.

Officially we do not allow them in the welding Dept. at all. We have a storage area near by but evidently not near enough.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-31-2007 21:24
Our guys have them in their desks...hard to keep them totally out of the shop. Cans of galva-bright or penetrant oil are sitting everywhere...

I'd be interested in a policy that worked too, I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aerosol Cans in the Welding Shop