Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Newb to the D1.1 and trying to see if i'm right..
- - By Kix (****) Date 03-27-2007 15:34 Edited 03-27-2007 15:37
Ok i'm trying to see if i have to write a new WPS and qualify a new procedure.  I'm looking up under prequalified base materials and fillers (table 3.1) to see what i have to work with.  The materials we're welding on are below , Fillers are metalloy (80 d2 AWS A5.28 ASME SFA 5.28 E90C-D2) and for solid wire (AWS A 5.28 ASME SFA-5.28  ER80S-D2)
A36 not preq because of filler wire we're using
A441 not preq because of filler wire we're using
A656 not preq becuase it's not on the list
HI form 50 A715 not preq , not on list
A572 grade 50 not preq, not on list
A514 t-1 not preq, not on list

So i'm thinking i have to go and write a new WPS for each base matl with each filler rod and qaulify a new procedure for each.  Can someone tell me if i'm doing this right?
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 03-27-2007 18:43
I believe you have established on your own that none of your procedures are prequalified. Assuming that is right then look at Section 4.7 (4.7.1 and 4.7.3 in particular) which lead you to Table 4.5 and Table 4.8 (all 2006 references). Once you catch on that one procedure test can qualify for more than one base metal/filler metal WPS combination, then you will be on the right road. I have not checked but you may be able to do less than six PQRS to establish WPSs for the six combinations you list below.

Look for A572 G50 in Table 3.1 again. You might find it under Group II materials.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-27-2007 18:50 Edited 03-27-2007 18:52
Also notice that A36 is in both Group I and II, but the thickness is what determines which group is relevant.

The filler is what is killing your prequalified status with several of these materials. Drop back to a E70 series and you'll fit right in without testing. Might be worth looking into if the job specs allow it.

The A656 and A714 seem to be the only material not listed in D1.1...A514 is in Table 4.9
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-27-2007 19:52
Ok i'm feeling like i have taken on a bigger job then i expected here.  I'm due to take my CWI exam on the week of may 6-11th in Detroit and know little about the code book.  I'm trying to figure this stuff out on my own untill my exam date.  My task is to make up WPS's for these materials and fillers.  I have not yet went to engineering to ask if we could go to 70series wire and why the 80series wire.
    These parts being welded are made up of all these material specs, some parts made up of more then one.  The parts vary anywhere from 1 1/2" to 3/8" in thickness.  Some joints consist of 1 1/2" A572 to 3/8" A514 and so on with the other grades like Some get welded to thiner or thicker parts.  Question now is there a thickness test that will qualify 3/8" up to 1 1/2" fillets and could i use a groove weld test instead of a fillet weld test because there are 2 half inch plate groove welds on the frame.
    One more thing, In the prequalified WPS's for those base materials using a 70series wire do i need to use a certain gas?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-27-2007 20:21
Nothing like getting thrown right into the fire..huh?

Ok, lets see if we can break this down some. Start with just one combination and lets get that worked out, and then move on.

Gas...I would start with what the mfg recommends for the filler or contract specs, if it differs from the mfg. Say 100% CO2 for instance, as long as you stay with the limits of Table 4.5(19) you are good. Somewhere D1.1 tells you what dew point the gas must have, but I can't put my finger on it and my fading memory seems to think it is -40F or less for 100% CO2. They may have taken that out and replaced it with " shielding shall conform to AWS A5.32".(OK, it's in the Commentary see C5.3.1.3). Yup, code changed in 2004...geez, they make it hard on us old guys with memory problems...the very reason you always run to your code book and read it, don't rely on memory.
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 03-27-2007 21:21
You wrote: "Question now is there a thickness test that will qualify 3/8" up to 1 1/2" fillets and could i use a groove weld test instead of a fillet weld test because there are 2 half inch plate groove welds on the frame."

Table 4.2 has the answers for you on thickness question. You need only make sure the plates are 3/4" or greater. See note d on Table 4.2 and don't forget to read through Section 4.11 for exceptions on consumable issues. Table 4.1 reinforces the answer to your fillet question, read across the rows, and don't forget note i.

All references are to the '06 code. They keep changing the references so I feel it necessary to keep cited the year.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-28-2007 10:41
In addition to the good info that pax23 has given you,.....if you notice in Table 4.2, when you use 1" plate to test on, the range is qualified from "1/8" to unlimited". I use 1" material for this very reason....it doesn't limit my thickness to 2 times the tested material thickness, like any thickness under 1" does. But if you never expect to ever see anything over 1 1/2" then 3/4" test plates will qualify for a range of 1/8" - 1 1/2".

And yes, all references from me so far in this thread have been from the D1.1:2006, except one from 2004 where the paragraph 5.3.1.3 had been revised in 2006 from 2004 about the shielding gas.

(a very good point mentioned by pax23, do not just assume the revision year)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Newb to the D1.1 and trying to see if i'm right..