Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone running a miller 75series feeder for aluminum wire?
- - By Kix (****) Date 04-10-2007 13:36
I'm trying to see if anyone has been running .035 Aluminum 4043 wire through this feeder without any problems.  It's just a push style feeder and we have been birdnesting the .035 wire a lot and breaking the plastic PD continuous guides.  Also i was wanting to know if we went to a brass PD continuous guide and a smaller DIA teflon liner if this would help with the birdnesting of the feeder? Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-10-2007 15:07
Kix

Thats a pretty big task even with the fancy new rollers.

0.035 is thin and 4043 is soft... a bad combo for pushing.

If you must do it this way, consider a very short whip.. 6 feet or less.

What power supply do you have your 75 series feeder attached to? 

A few push pull guns might pay for themselves when you look at the time spent on, burnback, birdnesting and changing liners all the time........

Also GMAW-P with a larger diameter wire may be an option depending on the quality of your power supply.  You can do thinner fillets with GMAW-P and 3/64 wire than you could do with Traditional spray and 0.035.

My experience working with manufacturers using the new 75 series has been generally good. But these are using 0.035 solid wire at VERY high wire feed speeds.  They report a marked improvement in performance and fewer birdnests...... 75 series feeders are too new to speak to durability.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 04-10-2007 18:03
We're are using the Invision 456 power source to push are feeders.  Yeah i figured .035 was going to be too small and the guys are using .045 right now with no probs.  .045 is a bit big for some of the applications we have, but hey these are the machines they wanted to use.  I'm trying to get away from the .062 wire that we were using and just use .045 on the heavy stuff.  I'm guessing they went with this machine set up for the .062 wire witch we don't need.  A couple of cobras set up for .045 would do the job very nicely and we could swap rolls for the .035 when the heavy stuff is all done.  Someone new how to sell some machines and this is what i have to work with and make work so what do ya do?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-10-2007 19:11
If your invision is an MP model you may be able to use it's available Pulsed programms for 4043 and 5356...... I'm not a huge fan of invision (Miller 350P is better at about 1/3 the price)  Nonetheless you might be able to accomplish all your aluminum GMAW welding with the 0.045 wire if you use the GMAW-P.

A cobra ought to go right into that 75 series and do just fine.

Your so close to Appleton that you just might get some direct assistance from Miller too.  They love to write articles about how they have helped locals solve problems.  If you decide to hook up with them let me know and I'll give you the right guys phone number.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone running a miller 75series feeder for aluminum wire?