Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Flux coated ER308 wire
- - By troilite (*) Date 07-16-2007 17:05
I have a weld procedure which is using "ER308L FC" - this is a GTAW flux coated wire.  What are the benefits / pitfalls for using this type of filler metal?  I have not seen flux coated TIG wire before.

Thank you very much!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-16-2007 17:30
Hello troilite, I have not personally used this particular type of filler wire before, yet, I have spoken to individuals who have and I have also followed postings on the forum here of individuals who have. Most of the folks who have used this stuff don't like it when compared to the other options that might be available. I believe the stated benefits of it's use have to do with cost and supposed ease of use. Theoretically it doesn't require a purge when being used for open-root and piping applications, it also wouldn't require the use of a protective paste such as solar flux if you didn't use a gaseous purge. It does still introduce an internal coating or backside deposit which could be detrimental in the same manor as solar flux and would not work for situations where this deposit wouldn't be allowed. I have been led to understand that the wetting out of the bead and the way that the edges tie in are very difficult to distinguish over standard GTAW practices as described by individuals who have used it. Just some food for thought, I believe you may also receive responses from actual users to further your consideration of this product. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-16-2007 18:00
Oxidation of the HAZ is still an issue as well.
My opinion would be that I'm not sure there is a great deal of application for it. It may work quite well in some instances, but if you don't need a purge why not just run a more productive GMAW instead. And oyu get some HAZ protection
Some may remember Pat Patrick's article a few years back about SS GMAW welding without a purge. Research he had done at Fluor. Caused quite a stir. The Welding Journal chopped his paper up pretty good. Leaving out critical proviso's. Pat wasn't too happy.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-16-2007 21:26
Well now that you mentioned it Js55!!!

I wonder if you could post it or lead the rest of us towards that article because, it's definitely got my attention along with "Welder5354's" own results with the STT process variant of short circuit transfer :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-16-2007 21:37
I'd have to dig it up. Pat gave the paper about 5 years ago in Detroit at the show at Cobo. The Journal version, I assume, came out at about the same time. I never read the Journal version. Just spoke with Pat about it.
If someone has a copy of the Abstracts volume it should be titled in there.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-16-2007 21:39
I will see if I can find it. if I can, I'll let you know and will scan it and email.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-16-2007 21:54
Thanks in advance Js55!

I normally give my copies of the journal that are more than three years old and of course, I'll keep some of the journals that have an article or two or three which were interesting enough for me to use as reference :)
That one must've slipped by me as have others I'm sure :) It's definitely got my attention :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Flux coated ER308 wire