Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Only a CWI can sign 6 month continuity log?
- - By Steven_OHarra (*) Date 07-30-2007 20:09
I"ve read that employers can sign logs so that welder's can maintain their AWS certs.
I've heard others say that only "inspectors" (city, code, etc) can sign them.
We called the AWS and someone there "thought" only a CWI could (but never called back).

If only a CWI can sign the welder's pocket logbook to show continuity per process,
Where specifically is that CWI requirment spelled out?
Please, someone from AWS feel free to chime in (rather avoid speculative responses).
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-30-2007 20:24
AWS D1.1:2006 Paragraph 4.1.2.2 assigns the responsibility of welder performance qualifications to the manufacturer or contractor....so any representative of that company can sign the continuity log verifying that the welder has met the requirements of paragragh 4.1.3.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-30-2007 20:38
It appears to me that when you called AWS they put you through to the marketing department.
Parent - - By Steven_OHarra (*) Date 07-30-2007 20:41
What if (my case) I "am" the company (single person owned/operated company).
Currently I'm having my log book kept current at the local AWS certified R.O.P. center but would like to know what is required when I move out of the area? I too, read what you quoted.

That is why I was troubled by the initial (and more definitive followup call) to the AWS.
AWS said only an AWS certified CWI could sign-off; that while an employer could sign the log, only a CWI signature/stamp makes it "official" for maintenance of the certification. They said however else would you have traceability/accountability?
(in that a CWI signature/stamp can be traced and is a known "authority")

The process as described by the call to AWS was:
Welder brings book to company authority, that person signs book, welder brings it to CWI to affirm "continuity" and signs/stamps it.

What they did not provide was the actual publication, code, page, etc where this is delineated as described above.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-30-2007 21:15
All you need to make sure you do, in my opinion, is identify in your Manual who is responsible for the sign off and how it is accomplished (and there isn't even a requirement for that, as far as I know-its just good practice). Whoever it is, is entirely up to you. However, there will be some limitation, I would assume from a common sense perspective, since an audit by AISC, ISO, or ASME may determine a more narrow range if you get too uncoventional about it, which does not seem to be the case. I mean, you have one man company. Who else is gonna do it. The janitor? Technically he could though.
You definately got the marketing dapartment.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-30-2007 21:32
And while we're on the subject I need to ask: 'official' for what? He rhetorically asks. You don't need a CWI to establish a performance cert, why would you need one to maintain it?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-31-2007 11:10
Just gonna throw a few things out here to chew on.....

Possibly you could have your signatures notarized by a notary to make it a little more convincing to an auditor that the dates were maintained within the six month period of effectiveness and not a just bunch of dates all penned down at one time.

I agree that a single person company may have a harder time with this, due to the welder being the one and same as the company rep, and owner. Possibly make your wife or significant other a company rep so that the signatures are not the same as the welder whose log is being maintained.

It all falls back on ethics, and some auditors will see this as a possible conflict, because it is hard to seperate the welder from the inspector when they are the same individual.

Hopefully some single person companies will chime in on what has worked for them and how they handle maintaining their certs.
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 07-30-2007 21:13
Just to toss in a "speculative response" because you could be waiting a long time for an official AWS response here:

You didn't say which standard you're working too but, assuming D1.1:2006: the Manufacturer or Contractor is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the welder qualifications by 4.1.2.2 and a log book is a very popular solution to address the requirements of 4.1.3 for maintaining a welder's qualification. If and by whom a log book should be signed is a matter of company policy. Section 6.1.4 and 6.5 may help you out though.
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-30-2007 22:17
AWSQC7-93
http://www.aws.org/certification/docs/#B
These documents are free part C has a sample form.
I don't Know if it helps but it somethin' :)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-31-2007 13:11
Steven,

I think we may be talking about several things in this thread.

In your original post you mentioned "AWS Certs."   Now if you are talking about the AWS Certified Welder Program. It just might be true that you need a CWI or representative from an accredited AWS test facility to keep that cert current. Have a look at this:  AWS QC7-92 Standard for AWS Certified Welders
http://www.aws.org/certification/docs/qc7-93.pdf

I think that *qualification* to an AWS code is another story altogether, and the text of the code will always state the different ways of how continuity can be kept.
Parent - - By Steven_OHarra (*) Date 08-01-2007 23:21
Hmm... sadly the AWS pub that your post references seems (solidly) to confirm AWS being in the middle of things.
Here's the catch 22, if I have the AWS keep my records (at $50 per cert per year as I recall), I can send them the paperwork and the Q&C (defined as the AWS Q&C group) will update the cert. Since I have about 20 certs (and there's no discount on qty), this would cost me a lot of money to keep them all on file with AWS. If I keep them on file with the local R.O.P. and have them stamp my maint. log, I'll stay current w/o paying hundreds of dollars a year to AWS to do the same. By the code refered by Lawrence, the welder's responsibility is to have the company, contractor, etc sign off but then to get it to Q&C before the cert expires. Since AWS Q&C only maintains those certs if you pay them to, you are req'd to pay a ton of money (my case) if you want to keep all those certs current. My wife and I both (briefly) have:

VertUpButt = 18AWG 6061, mild steel, galv, s-steel  -- GTAW
VertUpButt = 10AWG 6061, mild steel, galv, s-steel, 4130  -- GTAW
VertUpGroove(3G) = 3/8" 6061, mild steel, galv, s-steel, 4130  -- GTAW
6G = 2.5" sched 40 pipe  -- GTAW

VertUpGroove(3G) = 3/8" mild steel, galv, s-steel, 4130  -- GMAW
VertUpGroove(3G) = 1" mild steel  -- GMAW

VertUpGroove(3G) = 3/8" mild steel  -- SMAW
VertUpGroove(3G) = 1" mild steel  -- SMAW

We could drop some of the lesser certs that are covered by others (1" covers 3/8") but still, it would cost us a lot of money to keep all these certs current if we had to have the AWS maintain our records so that we could simply mail in our logs as this spec calls out.
Is the AWS listening/reading this thread?
Is this really the intend of the AWS (to force welders to pay them money)? or can this simply be maintained by the welder and company, inspector, contractor, etc.?
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-02-2007 00:00
Steve

It does seem like AWS has you on the hook for a lot of money!!  That is the price you have to pay to keep all those cards current.  Dropping them to get your renewall fees down doesn't seem fair to you either.  It would probably be just as expensive, however, if you were to re-test  (even by yourself, locally) every year.  It would seem reasonable that AWS could consider giving a price break after you had some given number of their certifications under your belt.  I will broach this idea to the AWS Certification Committee.  But, please remember that The Certification Committee has no say in AWS Pricing.  There is a separate Pricing Committee for this purpose.

The sad thing is, that many contracts these days are requiring new Qulification / Certification testing of the welders each year, and even in the last six months!!.  The owners have encountered so much fraud and so many "Certified", yet incapable welders, that things are regressing back to the bad old days of "Certify on the first day on the job",  just to be sure that the welder really can "STILL WELD"!. 

Unless there is some specific contract specification that requires that your work record be attested to by a CWI, there is no general requirement in the Codes.  I am  third party QA inspector, and I have to accept work records when they are presented to me by a company that has an active / functioning QC program.  However, I can also avail myself of the provisions of the Codes (that I inspect to) that allows me to require requalification of welders who do not produce acceptable welds.  I have frequently done this in the past.  

The CWI signature does not always carry the credibility you would think is does when it comes to verification.  It depends on who is hiring you.  If you are self employed, you should be able to certify yourself.  As the employer, you are legally required to certify the employees in most states.  Now, you must also do this in a credible manner, and therein lies the technical difficulty and the continuing credibility gap.  It can be done.  I certified myself for many years as the owner of my own company.  I eventually got a NYSDOT Cert Card, thich required that my work record be signed off by a P.E.  I took pipe tests with a few contractors, and added them to my collection.  Some customers accepted them, others required a demonstration or requalification test when I got on the job, depending on the contract documents.  I kept a log book of my welding activities for many years.  This was only asked for maybe a dozen times in 20 years!

I don't think you are going to find satisfying answers to your problem here.  I think it is admirable that you are trying to do the right thing here, and I  hope you are able to keep up the high standard you are demonstrating here.

Best of Luck

Joe Kane
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-02-2007 02:15
Joe;

Sadly, at our age and with the frequency of walking into walls, closed doors, through plate glass, etc., I understand why a customer would want to see you (and me) demonstrate our ablity to run a straight bead without wandering out of the groove. ;)

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-02-2007 09:22
BWHAHAHAHHA!!

I have been fortunate in the fact it was always a contractor or employer paying for a card.  Sometimes I wish welding was regulated like electrical work and plumbing etc.  Some legislation to help the "certified" make the pay they should and help maintain our records more centrally.   Jeez $50 a year per card??  Well that just sux for the self-employed who need that card to even be able to bid on that job. Sounds like we need a "do-all" test ...unlimited everything in all processes....we could all just take out 20yr loans to pay for the testing LOL!!   Why don't like electricians have to certify like "oh well we know your qualified on a 200 amp service but this is 600 amp so you have to go get a certification paper" $$$   Or hey mister plumber this house has radiant heat as well as a solar hot water tank + there is 4 toilets your only rated for 3 so.....see what I mean?   Nothing wrong with AWS and ASME helping make sure we have a system of doing it the right way....but I wish the Trade was more organized than it is...I think we missed the boat on that one.

As far as I can tell Welding is the only proffession I know where you must constantly PROVE your skill and ability in order to work....doctors,lawyers,engineers etc.  may get supplementary education from time to time  but do not have their knowledge and skills tested regularly to perform thier duties.  Man I am proud of what I do!!!!!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-02-2007 10:07
Steven_OHarra, the affirmative answer to your question is there is absolutely NO REQUIREMENT to have a CWI sign your continuity log <end of that discussion>.  There are several options, have you considered requesting your customers to sign on successful completion of a project?  Virtually anyone who has some level of competance in what a satisfactory weld should look like could perform this task... your customer should know what they want but if not, there is nothing wrong with having your wife sign yours and you sign her's.  Anyone who has any doubt in either of your competance can request a performance demonstration. <end of story>.  All the other chatter is simply opinion and speculation.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 08-02-2007 18:22
i agree, no requirement for cwi to sign log
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-02-2007 20:49
And that's the way it is!!! :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 08-02-2007 21:29
I agree also
Parent - By Steven_OHarra (*) Date 08-03-2007 22:19
Thanks to all that have toiled to answer this for me.
We'll keep our continuity log signed by the local R.O.P. CWI's and then if and when we move, keep them up to date as most of you have recommended.
Its a shame the AWS is multi-cert aware with a $10/6mo. fee (checkbox for all witnessed processes) but nails you so heavily per cert to be the record keeper of each and every cert. I'd rather have the centralized AWS as the keeper of the records but in an industry that could require dozens of certs (type metal, thickness, joint, filler, position, etc), it is simply unthinkable (or at the least, unaffordable).
By the way, besides the welding hobby, I'm a retired US Coast Guard officer, ASQC certified quality engineer and Novell Engineer. Not to quabble but they too require constant requalification which is why I have let those lapse as I get closer to retirement and welding in a future hobby shop. I'd like to teach at a local school and want to keep the certs otherwise I'd probably have to let those lapse as well.
Again, many thanks to all!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Only a CWI can sign 6 month continuity log?