Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PQR Based On P-No.11A should be OK for P-No 3 ???
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 09-28-2007 18:45
May I post an ASME question here?  I have seen others expertly answered.

We have a PQR several years old in which the material used was SA-487 Grade 4 Class B. As this is a P-No.11A Group 3 base metal, am I allowed to use the resulting WPS for an SA-487 Grade 4 Class A which is a P-No.3??
The two alloys are indistinguishable as far as chemical composition, recommended preheat and pwht. The only difference that I see is the Class B varient has a 105ksi tensile and the Class A has a 90ksi tensile. Since I am qualified on the higher strength Class B, my procedure should also be qualified for the Class A. No?

Regardless of advice on the above, I also notice that the PQR specifically showed an instruction to "complete weld w/o interruption and stress relieve immediately after weld".    Do I treat this last PQR requirement as an absolute reqt and am I in violation if I don't actually do either  "w/o interruption"  or  "stress relieve immediately after weld" .
Thanks.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 09-28-2007 18:53
For procedure qualification, P-No. 11A Gr. 3 does not qualify for P-No. 3.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-28-2007 19:28
Tom, Marty is absolutely correct, the PQR does not qualify for other P numbers.  However, if the welder qualifies, then for performance qualification purposes he may be qualified.  Regardless of the above, the mandated "complete weld w/o interruption and stress relieve immediately after weld" would be considered an Essential Variable and MUST be followed./
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 09-28-2007 20:28
I'm feeling like I wish I didn't ask the question because I kinda knew what the answers were going to be!
Thanks guys.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-28-2007 20:32
No problem Tom, we've ALL found ourselves in that situation before!!! ;-)
Parent - By chall (***) Date 09-29-2007 17:00
Not me....

:(
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-01-2007 15:11
Ain't it the truth, (just last week for me) and again jon, thanks for your help.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-01-2007 16:55
js55, coming from one of the smartest welding people I've ever met, that's quite a compliment, my pleasure Brother!!!!  ;-)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PQR Based On P-No.11A should be OK for P-No 3 ???