Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Vertical Uphill E71T-8 NR232 5/64
- - By Weldah Date 10-11-2007 03:11
I am having trouble with my root pass on a 1/2in plate using NR 232 5/64.   WFS is @ 115(260amps)  Voltage is @ 19.5.   Stickout is 3/4.   Someone please tell me how should i run my bead up the groove.   Do u think it's best if i do the triangle motion going up or side to side?    What do i look for in the puddle.  I am keeping my electrodoe in front of the puddle at about 20 degrees(slightly pointing down).   I had no problems with with my 2G and 4G. for i was dragging my beads. 
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-11-2007 08:21
Weldah Welcome to the forum

Running vert up you should be at a 10 to 15 degree push angle.  This would be slightly pointed up (pointed in the direction of your upward progression) rather than slightly pointing down as you are currently doing.

Your parameters are right on the money according to Lincolns own literature.. However they do note that stickout can be between 3/4 and 1 1/4 inches so you might find some benefit from extending your stickout a touch more.
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/c32000.pdf

With FCAW I prefer a slight side to side motion. (a wiggle rather than a weave) just to flatten the bead out. I would say that wiggle would be no wider than the wire diameter.  Thats just how I like it.

Keep us posted on how it goes
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 10-11-2007 12:23
What size wire are you useing?  19.5 volts is a bit cold for 1/2" plate and the typical .045 wire.  Try 22 or 23 volts and 200 and something on your wfs if your useing .045, but everyone has there own technique. Volts and amps are built around technique,skill and ability, and your ability to control that puddle.  I personally would only ever use a welding manufactures literature to get you in the ball park, but it allways needs some tweeking "Allways"....
Parent - - By Weldah Date 10-12-2007 00:39
I was using the 5/63" wire.  Anyways, i wanna thank u and Lawrence for responding.  I figure out why my beads were looking so thick and ugly.....someone had switched the cables and i was running beads with DCEP...tsk tsk tsk, not good at all.  So i switched 'em back to DCEN.   I lowered my WFS to 105 and my beads came out looking very very good.  Lawrence, i used the slightly pointing down technique.  But i surely will try your -wiggle wiggle- technique. push up.   Thank U again
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 10-12-2007 12:28
  Yeah i see what wire your using up top now and it sounds like you got it licked.  Yeah too much wire sure will put a damper on things every now and again.  You still might be a bit high on the wire so play with it a bit.  Well, if yo got it running good for ya now keep that hood down and burn some wire. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Vertical Uphill E71T-8 NR232 5/64