Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Non relevent Indication in Magnetic Particle testing
- - By ddmk Date 10-16-2007 15:06
Dear Expert's,
While I am doing my procedure qualification test for 10" Pipe to Fittings, in that Pipe is in bottom and Fitting is in Top 6G position. After welding Magnetic particle test was conducted in that non relevent indication in the toe of weld was through out the joint.
Pipe Material: API X65
Fitting Material: ASTM F65
Why that indication appearing?
What metallurgical role playing?
Can I call it Magnetic writting?

Thanks
S.Senthilkumar

Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 10-16-2007 16:29
Are you sure it is non relevant?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 10-16-2007 23:14
what caused the indication?
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 10-16-2007 23:37
I would think that if you can say with certainty that the indication is non-relevant then you must know why it is appearing, or what is causing it.  If you cannot explain it away then is it truly non-relevant?  Can you include more details? That may help us provide you with a more clear, concise answer.   What code are you working to? 
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 03-13-2008 04:58
Can you privide a sketch of these indications? Just because you can't explain it doesn't make it Non relevant. Is it at the toe or at the edge of the HAZ? Try doing UT to confirm or RT.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Non relevent Indication in Magnetic Particle testing