Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / tube welder questions(tips?, companies?, etc?)
- - By mdu (*) Date 11-12-2007 19:18
Been doing shutdowns as a combowelder, and I was thinking about trying tube welding.  Any tips for putting in a tig root when doing a restricted test or on the job would be helpful.  Do you need a mirror to tube weld, heard you do sometimes?  When putting in the root I know you dont have to grind your stops, but when are coming to a start(of the tack) do you have to feather that down, or is there a way to tie in correctly without grinding?  If you have to grind do you use a pencil grinder or how would you fix the weld if you happen to get porosity or something?  Does anyone know of any companies that hire tubewelders out of the houston area?  Just to add I know you need to be able to freehand, and I am able to do that.
Parent - By 76fl (*) Date 01-02-2008 13:55
mdu,

As a tube welder, on a restricted test.  I will usally put tacks (4)1/2 long, except one. Try to make it alittle longer mybe 3/4" or longer for the btm.,  providing your QC doesn't catch it or some what ok w/it.  While in place (between other tubes) I put wire throu from  1 o'clock to the bottom tie-in. And work it to 9 o'clk.  Then 11 o'clk. 2 the three o'clk.. Makin sure that i stay long enough on the tacks for agood tie-in there also.  You don't have to feather back your tacks unless you really knot them-up. For me i can control what i'am seein. Keep in mine that you don't get to far ahead of the wire for alarge keyhole. Then break down the top of ur 3&9 o'clk. tacks and come over the. All depending upon the size of the tube, for how many tacks. Hope this helps ! JC
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / tube welder questions(tips?, companies?, etc?)