Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weld defects acceptance criteria for ASME IX
- - By Richman (**) Date 02-21-2008 04:55
Thank you for the answer on my query that I send yesterday regarding the length of weld undercut. With regards to the subject matter, are there any specific requirements for weld undercutting with regards to depth and length on the above subject code? And since ASME IX also states only complete penetration on welds  and NO specific dimensions stated on the acceptance criteria of weld root penetration, can we refer to ASME B31.3 with regards to under cutting and complete penetration when it comes to welder's qualification test through ASME IX code.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-21-2008 13:35 Edited 02-21-2008 14:42
ASME IX:07

QW-194 Visual Examination -- Performance
Performance test coupons shall show complete joint penetration
with complete fusion of weld metal and base metal.

Then you get into mechanicals or radiography whichever is the case.

QW-191.2.2 Acceptance Standards. Welder and
welding operator performance tests by radiography..etc..

Unless contract documents or other sections of the code stipulate additional criteria or reduction of criteria, it is as written in Section IX. Additions or reductions from the requirements of Section IX are not allowed otherwise.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 02-21-2008 13:50
As for penetration, there is no deminsion because it has to have complete penetration....all the way around.  Therefor, if ANY portion does not have full penetration, no matter the length, depth, etc, it is rejectable.

As for undercut, as you know there is no criteria for it in sec IX.  As far as I'm concerned, if there is no policy or if it's not written in the QC manual, you are only bound to what sec IX states.  A lot of companies inspect the test coupon to the criteria for the code they are working to, but again, I would be careful if this is not spelled out somewhere in a company document.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weld defects acceptance criteria for ASME IX