Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld symbol discussion
- - By zieglejo Date 04-08-2008 23:16
Could someone help me settle a "discussion" between my engineer and welders? 

The problem: a joint between two plates at approximately 90 degrees to each other; the inside corners of the plates are touching (corner-to-corner; no overlap); the weld takes place from the outside with complete penetration.  The two questions are:

Is it proper to put a "melt-thru" symbol on a fillet weld?
Is this actually considered a fillet weld, or is it a 90 degree included angle, single-v-groove weld?

I looked through AWS A2.4:2007 and did not see this particular joint addressed.  Any comentary will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-08-2008 23:36
It sounds like a poor detail for welding. Period.

al
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 00:53
Good point Al. This probably is not the most structuraly sound joint detail, but in the few times I have seen it used it is generaly accompanied by two butt or v-groove welds and a fillet at a minimun, that would complete the welding of a joint. Or accompanied by gussets and other reinforcements.

jrw
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-08-2008 23:41 Edited 04-08-2008 23:43
Ok.... I think the terminology would go something like this

You are describing (if the picture in my head is accurate)

An outside corner joint

This outside corner joint would be a groove weld...
             The included angle will of course be 90 degrees as you describe the joint.
             The symbol call out should be in my opinion a Vee groove rather than a fillet
             Melt thru may be indicated on the opposit side of the vee groove symbol

What you describe is pretty common for autogenous GTAW on sheet
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 00:46 Edited 04-09-2008 00:54
Good call lawrence, imo. That is the picture that was painted in my head as well.

jrw
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 04-09-2008 00:46
I picture it like Lawrence, V Groove with melt thru would be good in our shop.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 04:09
I guess I have to jump in on this discussion.

I would rely on my understanding of the difference between a fillet weld and a groove weld.

A fillet weld is deposited on the joint. Fusion extends to the joint root, but not necessarily beyond. A groove weld is deposited in the joint.

Based on the sketch I've attached, the dashed lines (hidden lines) represent a T-joint. I don't believe anyone would object to calling the weld depicted a fillet weld based on the definition above, i.e., the weld is deposited on the joint.

The solid lines represent the corner joint and the weld is still as described by the inquiry. The geometry of the weld has not changed and it is still deposited on the joint, thus it is still a fillet weld. The fact that the fusion extends beyond the root is immaterial. It doesn't change the fact that the weld is deposited on the joint.

As for the appropriate welding symbol, it is a fillet weld; fusion must extend to the joint root, but not necessarily beyond. In this case the fillet weld has melt-thru, which in itself is not cause to reject the weld. I don't believe the designer should indicate melt-thru is required and it shouldn't be included as part of the welding symbol.

I stated before it is a poor weld detail and I still believe it is. The designer should "called on the carpet" and a redesign be considered. The joint is difficult to weld.  Whether you call it a groove detail or fillet detail makes no difference, it is simply a poor design that is difficult to weld properly.  

Best regards - Al
Attachment: FilletWeldOutsideCorner.dwg (26k)
Attachment: FilletWeldOutsideCorner.wmf (12k)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-09-2008 12:02 Edited 04-09-2008 12:15
Al, 

It looks like your right ... But I think I protest on the grounds of hard headedness:)

I went to "Welding Inspection Technology"  because they have the best symbol/significance drawings I've found and took a good look.

I found edge welds close but not exactly like described above.

The only representation in a textbook of what was described was in a Hobart Training manual and they put a fillet symbol on the thing.

But look at part (E) of the figure below. They are all edge welds... If we just slid the edges a bit on the last representation we would have what he describes... Would sliding those edges make it a fillet weld? or would it remain an edge weld, or does it depend on if it is plate or sheet? Autegenous with the edges consumed or edges not consumed and filler added?..... I really wish they would have just made a representation of it... But as you said in your first post,,,,, Maybe it's just a poor detail.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 12:30
Interesting position.

My take would be as follows:

The dihedral angle of an edge joint must be 30 degrees or less. The edge weld depicted is used to "fuse" the edge joint, but if you look at the flanged edge, it forms an edge joint in that the two members meet tangent to each other and the dihedral angle between them is zero degrees.

Using your sketch of the flanged joint; if you move one of the two members in either direction, but still keep the faying surfaces in direct contact you end up with a short lap joint and the weld would be a fillet weld because it would be deposited on the joint rather than in the joint as depicted by the various groove details in the same series of sketches.

I agree that had the original weld detail described by the inquiry been slightly offset, the designer could have used either a fillet weld or a groove detail to make the weld. The groove detail (other than a "seal weld" along the edge) would require some type of joint preparation, a V, J, U, or bevel, to deposit the weld "in the joint" rather than on the joint as is the case with a fillet weld.

The sketch attached shows just two of the options that could have been used and differentiates between the fillet weld (on the joint) versus the groove (in the joint).

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-09-2008 12:47
I really love talking to you Al

Nicely done

Thanks for being patient.

I now submit to your "correctness" on the detail and just hope I can remember how you communicated this if the question ever rises again.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 12:51
Yeah, Al's good at that isn't he.
jrw
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 12:18
I could only get the smaller attachment to open, but in light of your response Al, I think you have opened my eyes. In the sketch you have attached, a fillet weld symbol, it appears, would indeed be the correct symbol.

jrw
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 04-09-2008 12:54
Al,
Why do you consider this a poor joint that requires redesign?  Outside corner is a common joint for many fabrications, and when designed and loaded properly they perform as anything else.  Why should a designer be called to the carpet?  I don't ask these questions to confront or disrespect you or your opinion, I'm just not seeing it the way you are. 

I see your point with the illustration, but here again I see it two different ways.  If this weld is going to consume the entire corner of the joint, I see it as a groove weld even if it takes multiple passes, but if it does not consume the entire corner I see it as a fillet weld.

But then considering the definition of a fillet weld "A weld between two members at approximately 90 degrees to one another", it does not make reference to which side of said joint is to be welded.  I guess it could apply to the outside corner.  Now the definition of a groove weld could also apply here "A weld made in the groove between the workpieces".

It's not cut and dry is it?  Further discussion is warranted because I have now confused myself :)

What do you think?

Mark
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 04-09-2008 14:11
Melt thru is defined as visible root reinforcement produced in a joint welded from one side.  Reinforcement is defined as weld metal in excess of the quantity required to fill a joint.  The initial post states that "the weld takes place from the outside with complete penetration".  In my opinion, melt thru is not the same thing as complete penetration.  If the joint is to be complete penetration, it must be welded from one side, backgouged to sound weld metal from the other side and the other side is welded, or, the joint is welded from one side using a suitable backing material.  If the joint is backgouged, it's good to get "melt thru", because that side of the joint doesn't have to be backgouged as deep to get to sound weld metal. 
There's obviously going to be some melt thru when plates are only in contact with each other along their edges.  Since this is not a "conventional joint", and I say that only because the joint configuration is not one that's shown in A2.4, I don't see why the symbol couldn't show a fillet weld on one side of the weld symbol reference line and a melt thru symbol and dimension on the other side of the weld symbol reference line, if melt thru is the only intention.  But, since the poster stated that "the weld takes place from the outside with complete penetration"..... as the joint is now, there is a 90 degree groove opening to fill that must be either backed or backgouged and welded from the other side.  From a D1.1 standpoint, this type of joint would require a PQR, as it is not prequalified. 
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-09-2008 23:29 Edited 04-10-2008 00:05
Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. Now I have to go buy a larger hat.

There are thousands of complete joint penetration groove welds made daily without backing or back gouging. Let's not forget all the pipe welds made by welders around the world. Even AWS D1.1 allows single sided CJP welds without backing or back gouging provide the procedure is qualified by testing and the welder is qualified without either backing or back gouging.

The melt-through symbol should only be used if melt-through is required and is usually used in conjunction with CJP groove welds that are welded from one side. I didn't get the indication that melt-through was a requirement, only that it did occur. That's what I tried to depict in my sketch, fusion past the root and melt-through on the inside corner.

As for my statement that it is a poor design, I stand by that comment. The joint detail as described requires the welder to deposit the root bead with relatively low current to prevent burn-through and to control the amount of melt-through so as not to have drop-through (icicles, dingle-berries, you get the idea). That requires (at least for an average welder)  the weld to be deposited as a multiple pass weld which takes more time and extra care in welding the joint.

A good joint detail is going to be one that is easy to fit up and has allowances for fitup errors, such as one member being too long or too short. This joint allows for neither, it has to be just right and is difficult to fit with out the aid of lugs, clips, etc. The joint detail should be easy to weld, i.e., it should not require exceptional skills to deposit a sound (acceptable) weld. This joint detail does require extra care on the welder's part to make the weld successfully. The joint should require minimal preparation (I'll yield on that point). It should require the least amount of weld to transfer the applied loads. This joint detail requires the full load to be transmitted through the weld instead of taking advantage of having the parts in bearing so that some of the load is transmitted directly from one piece to the other (assuming the loads are compressive in nature).

The argument is one of semantics. The bottom line is, does the symbol convey to the welder what the designer had in mind, i.e., does the welder understand what is required based on the welding symbol? Do all the interested parties understand what is required? If the response is yes, it doesn't matter whether you call it a groove or a fillet weld. If the symbol is causing confusion, it isn't doing it's job and it should be changed. If the welding is inconsistent, i.e., there is excessive melt-through, burn-through or drop-through that requires repair, then the joint detail should be changed to something the welders can weld with acceptable results on a consistent basis.

Where else can we go to thrash out these finer points of welding? :)

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-10-2008 01:11
Al,
I would have to agree that in itself this is a poor joint design. However, the only time that I have seen this sort of joint configuration it has been on square tubing and is the outside corner of a 90% or there abouts, joint. Resulting in two good v-groove or butt joints, one good fillet and the "poor" fillet on the outside joint. I can not recall very many situations where this would be the joint configuration used to join two plates, for example. In the above described situation, what would, iyo, be the best way to prepare that outside joint? I hope this makes sense, as you are well aware my verbal skills lack in some areas.
jrw
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-10-2008 02:31
Can you provide a sketch of the configuration?

A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

There may be a delay in my response. I'm traveling tomorrow, so I may not have easy access to the internet. I get to spend a few days with the family before heading out again.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-10-2008 04:29
Thats ok, there will be a delay in getting the sketch. I am leaving for CO early in the morning. Picking up some belongings in Lamar and going to the western slope for the weekend. Got a quick one there, and I might just see about driving my old rig up there and catch a couple of quick welding gigs while I am there as well. I will be back at the shop on monday. Have fun with the family, they are what it's all about. My family is taking this one with me as we have family and friends throughout CO and will be making a four day trip out of it.

jrw
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2008 18:35 Edited 04-14-2008 18:40
Al,
  OK so i finally arrived back in TX and have now given myself a little education in CAD. My past has always been read only as I do not make changes to drawings nor do I create them, so please excuse the crudeness and the lack of info, as I am a newbie at actually working with this program. This is actually the first for me, so go easy.

This is a top view of two tubes (of any size) coming together with a 45% cut. The joint in question is in the circle view. If it is butted up flush what would the proper weld symbol be?
If it overlaps what would the proper symbol be?

John
Attachment: jwDrawing1.dwg (27k)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-14-2008 18:44
You must have a newer more up to date version of AutoCad. I think mine is the 2000 version. I can't open your file. Can you take your sketch and export it as a metafile, i.e., *.wmf? Then it can be opened as an attachment or even imported as a picture file into MSWord or any other MSOffice program.

Thanks - Al
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2008 18:49
Whoa there Al, you have seriously overestimated my computer literacy and capabilities, LOL. But this is a prime opportunity for me to learn something else new before the sun goes down, give me a minute and I will see if I can figure this out. Maybe I should stick to "Paint" LOL.

John
Attachment: jrw159sketch.doc (41k)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-14-2008 19:31
John,
I copied and pasted your sketch onto a Word Doc and attached it to your post.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2008 19:47
Thanks, I will try to learn how.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-14-2008 19:44
That worked just fine John.

Still, I stand by my comments that the outside corner joint is still a fillet weld and it is still a SOB to weld without reducing the welding current to prevent burn-through. 

Every time I see a welder attempting to weld that outside corner joint where there isn't any lap, they have to interrupt their travel and manipulate the arc to fill in the burn-through. One welder I saw using GMAW would pull and release the trigger. When I asked him what he was doing, he replied, "Pulse welding, that's the only way I can control the puddle and not burn through the SOB." Enough said.

Jeff made the comment that his instructor used the exercise to teach the welders how to control the puddle and burn-through. For that purpose it is a fine joint to practice on, but from a weld design, it is a poor detail.

How many texts on welding have you seen where they specify a 45 degree groove angle and indicate the weld is the same size or greater than the depth of the bevel? Yet, experience has shown that you are lucky to achieve penetration to the root. All the AWS prequalified joint detail for groove welds indicate the weld size, i.e. joint penetration will be something less than the depth of the 45 degree bevel. Yet detailer after detailer uses the 45 degree groove and expects to see CJP or penetration equal to the depth of the preparation because they saw it in a text book once.

Hey buddy, I was in El Paso, TX and Las Cruces, NM last week. Interesting country. I thought our little bit of smog was a bear until I saw their "sand storms". :)

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-14-2008 19:53
Al,
  Thanks for the clarification, and I still agree that it is a poor joint design.
I also would say that it is a good way to work on puddle control and burnthrough, as I know first hand that even in the best fit up,k that outside corner takes skill to weld out correctly.

Yeah, we had some brutal winds last week too.

John
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-10-2008 05:01
  Your sketch is great, and it is also very famliar to me. I will not even attempt to hang with you with respect to the technicalities of this discussion. I have produced many of these "full open" corner joints in all positions in my welding class. I have been instructed to produce this weld as a groove weld, not a fillet weld. In my limited experience, I would say that if the joint was to be welded from the inside and not the outside corner, it would be a fillet weld. However, since the specified joint requirement is that it be welded from the outside "full open" corner, I would call it a groove weld. I have done this with weld with CJP many times. I think. imo, that because there does exsist an actual groove to deposit a weld into and not onto, it's not a fillet.
Go easy on me folks...I'm only a welding student and i tend to look at things in a more simplistic way. The original call out on this should have been a CJP groove weld. Maybe that's too simple of an opinion. But it's my opinion and I'll stick with it.
Respectfully, Jeffrey S. Grady
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-10-2008 11:59
Hello Jeff;

Your decision to join the ranks of our "trade" will serve you well over your working lifetime if you continue to learn and prefect your skills. All too many people reach a plateau early in life and stop listening to new ideas and stop expanding their skill sets only to become stagnated in their careers.

I learn something new everyday and much of the knowledge is from the shared ideas with gentlemen like Lawrence, Scott, Gerald, John, Stephan, Chet, Henry, Allen, and too many others to list here.

In trying to answer an inquiry I tried to go back to the "basics" and attempt to substantiate my position with some "research", i.e., review my A3.0 for standard terms and definitions as well as A2.4 for standard welding symbols. I also use a few sketches to help explain the position I take when they help to clarify the issue. I take into consideration what other folks have to say on the subject and try to keep an open mind, because the good Lord knows I'm wrong as often as I'm right.

You've been a member of the community (the Forum) for a while now, i.e., this isn't the first time you've asked a question or jumped in with your opinion. Many of the inquiries lead to some lively conversations because nonstandard terminology leads to misunderstandings or misinterpretations of actual inquiry. I despise the use of nonstandard terminology because of the confusion it creates. This is one of those cases where the welding symbol is in question because we are in disagreement as to the type of weld being deposited. Is the weld a fillet weld or is it a groove weld?

You take the position it is a groove weld, but you haven't supported your position based on a reference source. I assume that your instructor told you that it was a groove weld because it is an outside corner joint, thus it has to be true. I can only urge you to go back to your text books and other references published by AWS (as an example) to substantiate your position (take note of Lawrence's reply where he lists his sources and he even included a sketch taken from the reference source). You will notice that the gentlemen that are regular participants in the forum that I hold in high esteem general include a reference to a recognized code, standard, or text book. This lends credibility to their response and the opinions they express.

So, I challenge you to support your position that the weld described is a groove weld based on some authoritative source. I'm not making this challenge in an attempt to "bully" you into agreeing with my position. I'm challenging you to force you to use the resources available to you and as a means to extend your understanding of the technical aspects of welding. This is how we all further our knowledge. I would hate to tell you how many times I've "deleted" my initial response after going back to the "books" only to learn that my initial position was incorrect. However, in doing so, I am forced to "learn" and rethink my position on the subject.

How do you differentiate between a fillet weld and a groove weld? That is the basis of this inquiry. Good luck and good reading in researching this questions. I look forward to your response. Show me where my thought process has lead me to a wrong conclusion (it will not be the first time I've been shown that I'm wrong). I know you're up to the challenge. :)

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-10-2008 19:31 Edited 04-11-2008 03:21
Al,
  You are correct that I should have given some form of reference before piping in on this thread. I humbly digress on this particular joint, and my opinion . Your challenge did not sway me to change my opinon based on your extensive knowledge. However it did exactly what you intended it to do. That is to get me into a mind set that required me to look intelligently at what was being presented. Therefore I present my supporting references.
1.)  According to my Text (Welding Skills 3rd Edition, B.J. Moniz and R.T. Miller/ American Technical publishers),section 3 (Joint design). "A fillet weld is a weld of approximately Triangular cross section that joins two surfaces at approximately right angles".

2.)   according to the description of the joint in the opening post to this thread. I am now prepared to give an informed opinion that this joint is an open corner and should be joined using a fillet weld.

This does not address the Melt through symbol delineated on the WPS, or it's appropriateness for the given Fillet weld symbol.

3.) Section 35 of my text (Welding Procedure Qualification), Edge preparation, States that "All fillet welds can be made without additional edge preparation."
" Three groove weld configurations can be made without additional edge preparation. They are Square groove, Flare V groove, and Flare bevel groove."

There is no indication in (the affore mentioned) joint description that there is a requirement for edge preparation. This brings me back to my digression...this is a fillet weld.

According to my text a corner joint welded as described should be performed using backing be back gouged and a fillet weld deposited for load bearing. I find no further information in my very thorough text pertaining to this joint configuration. The Groove weld Symbols in my text do not include the full open corner.

PS. I could find no prequalification for a weld configuration such as this one. I believe this is a weld we perform in class only for practice in heat control.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-11-2008 02:48 Edited 04-11-2008 03:02
Hello Jeff;

Now that is an excellent response!

The reader now knows your position is based on the facts as you know them and where you got the information that serves as the basis of your conclusion. The reader can decide if your sources are authoritative and whether a challenge can be successfully formulated if they disagree with your position. The foundation for a good discussion has been laid.

Should you at some time in your welding career decide to come over to the dark side, the same technique can be employed when you write a report. When ever I report a non-conformance or reject a fabricator's work, I try reference the standard (code), section, and clause that has been violated or is the basis of the rejection. The person reading the report immediately knows the work was rejected for cause, not due to personal bias. It makes it more difficult for the fabricator or contractor to turn the situation into a clash of personalities. In short order you will have an intimate working knowledge of the fabrication standard and will know exactly where to find the clause you are looking for.

I can tell you will be a valued member of this humble community.

Best regards - Al :)
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-11-2008 03:27
Al,
Thank You. I was in the process of re-editing my post for the second time when I got a notification of your response. it is now worded just a bit differently.
I thank you for arrousing in me a desire to find the facts. That's what i expect from this forum. Don't let me get off easy in the future either.

PS. I have already discussed with Allan my intentions of welding for about 5-10 yrs and then moving into Inspection.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-05-2008 15:06
I was preparing some WPS today when I ran across this drawing and remembered our conversation of a few weeks ago.

This drawing is excerpted from D1.3 2008 Structural Welding Code Sheet Steel.

It fulfills all the requirements of our conversation and is definatly a fillet weld.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-05-2008 20:48
Lawrence,
  GOOD catch! 

jrw
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-06-2008 03:07
Good show!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-19-2009 04:10
Maybe AWS needs to revise their qualification tests to allow qualifications on Fillet welds with no backing or backgouging on corner joints. seems like a bunch of drippings inside a joint like that would be as detrimental as a groove weld with drippings, I won't argue with what has been said, but it takes a higher skilled welder to weld such a joint as opposed to a fillet t-joint, therefore IMO he should also be qualified to weld a groove without backing or backgouging.(thats just my opinion)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-11-2008 03:55
  There is a picture of the corner to corner weld in "Welders' Vest Pocket Guide" a Hobart booklet about 50 years old. They call it an "Outside, Single-Fillet Welded, Corner Joint" This little booklet makes no mention of inside reinforcement from melt through.
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-11-2008 04:18
Dave,
Where can i get one of those "Welders' Vest Pocket Guides"? I could use a handy guide to provide a ready answer to weld situations. My text book was my point of reference, and it was only giving the differing ways to which this weld can be approached. It was not intended to be a blanket answer to the weld in question. It was dirrected at how to approach CJP with a minmum of 1/16th beyond the root. I mentioned only one of the scenarios delineated in my text.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-11-2008 05:41
       I would check with the welding supply stores, Mine is an old copy that probably came with the Hobart welder My Dad bought in '59.

There are some other pocket guids that have been mentioned on this sight, You might start a thread to find out what others are using.
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-11-2008 23:04
Dave,
  Found the Guide from Hobart's website. 29th edittion. I'm pretty sure I can swing the Whole $4.95 they ask. It's chock-full of great reference material.
Thanks A million.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 04-12-2008 04:13
http://www.welding.org/cart/training/gwbooks.htm

HOBART INSTITUTE OF WELDING TECHNOLOGY
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 04-12-2008 05:17
Root Pass,
That's exactly the site I went to, and They certainly have everything I need for reference material. I need a Copy of AWS D1.1  I think for now I can get away with an older edition. I just want to do some study for up coming tests for employers. I've looked on ebay and only found 1 listed...that was last week. Any ideas where i can get a used copy "ON THE CHEAP"? I'm at a loss! Every time I Google this thing I get a million sites and they all want $300 or better. I gotta have one in the next couple of months, but i would like one i can buy online in the next week or so. I'll try Amazon tonight and see what they have.
Respectfully, Jeffrey 
Parent - - By Richard Cook (**) Date 04-10-2008 20:50
Amen

woody
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-12-2008 05:03
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE       HHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld symbol discussion