Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / victore torch
- - By elliott (**) Date 05-22-2008 00:51
how it going everybody. I got a victor torch today from a guy at work he said that it didnt work. When i got home i hooked it up and the oxy and actelene all seem to work fine expect when you pressed the lever for more oxygen it blew its self out. I treid cleaning the tip but that was not the problem. I was just wondering what you guys used to clean the mixers or if thats not a good idea.
     Thanks for any info,
        elliott
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-22-2008 01:38
You can take it to a dealer that sells Victor equipment and have them send it out for cleaning and repair for a fraction of the cost of a new torch.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-22-2008 02:18
It sounds to Me like the tip to head joint is messed up. Try a new tip, if that doesn't cure it the torch head neds to be reworked.
Parent - - By tnhnt (***) Date 05-22-2008 02:41
Check your o-rings
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 05-22-2008 16:33 Edited 05-22-2008 16:37
If he's using a cutting tip (and it sure sounds like that when he talks about the lever), there are no o-rings in the tip.
It is quite possible that the tip is damaged, and I would try a new cutting tip first.
Allen's quite right though, there are o-rings if you have a cutting attachment.
In any case, it much more likely to be cutting oxygen leaking into the flame side, than gook inside the mixer.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-22-2008 07:10
Hello elliot, please forgive me if this sounds too simple. Is this the type of cutting attachment that screws onto the standard victor torch body? In other words, is this a combination torch? If so, you need to attach it using only a hand-tight amount of force as it does have O-rings for sealing and if they aren't sealing properly with a hand-tight application they won't seal any better with a wrench and a wrench should never be used for making this connection anyway, Next, the oxygen valve on the torch barrel should be fully opened, this will provide the proper cutting oxygen flow when the cutting lever is depressed, the actual torch preheat flame adjustment should be accomplished by using the acetylene valve on the main torch barrel and the oxygen adjustment of the preheat flame should be done with the single valve on the cutting torch attachment portion of the assembly. If you try to adjust the preheat flame for the cutting torch by using the two valves on the main barrel assembly, depressing the cutting valve will indeed blow the flame out. So a quick basic rundown, start with all of the valves turned off fully, there should be three valves on a combination cutting torch set-up, before attempting to light the torch, open the oxygen valve on the main torch barrel next to the acetylene valve fully. Next open the acetylene valve enough to light the torch and once it is lit open it additionally until the smokey soot just goes away and the flames are still attached to the end of the cutting tip. Now open the oxygen valve that is located on the cutting head assembly by itself until you achieve a neutral flame at the cutting tip, depress the cutting lever and adjust the oxygen additionally to achieve a neutral flame again while the cutting lever is depressed. If everything is working properly this should get you set to do some cutting and would indicate that there are no issues with this cutting assembly. On the other hand, if this cutting torch head is the type that is a dedicated cutting torch and only has an acetylene and oxygen valve, then I would agree with the other posters and you should probably take it to your local welding supplier and see about having it rebuilt. Just a few additional items for thought. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By elliott (**) Date 05-22-2008 20:22
Thanks for the replys, I tried a new cutting tip and the same thing happened. It is one that screws on to the torch body.I am goin to bring it to the welding supply tomorrom.
     Thanks again and have great Memorial day weekend,
                elliott
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 05-23-2008 14:08
Elliot-
  The bevel seats on the head need to be 'reseated'. You have cutting (center hole) oxygen seeping past the small bevel and into the outer holes, this is causing your flame to be blown out. If you don't have a repair center around you that can reseat the head, then try this.

Cut and secure a piece of fine grit sandpaper to the tip (grit side out), making sure it is as tight to the tip bevel as you can  get it. Set it in the head and turn, turn, turn away. As you proceed with this process you will see the torch head bevels change (highlighting your highs and lows.)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / victore torch