Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / self shielding wire
- - By makeithot (***) Date 05-29-2008 01:54
looking for some input on this wire have never been a big fan of it, but a new client wants to use it as oppossed dual shield which is what I normally run. I am thinki8ng that he wants to save some money on the gas. My proplem is that every time I have used it there is alot of porosity on the surface and as these are to be water tight welds I do not see the advantage. Is this a common proplem???
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-29-2008 04:24
Hello makeithot, I have generally noticed that the difference in price for the self-shielded wire over gas-shielded wires usually makes up for any "supposed" cost savings from not using shielding gas. You will also have a pretty decent time savings by using the dual shield when compared to a self-shielded wire in most cases. So unless there are some environmental issues, such as needing to weld outdoors and deal with wind, rain, etc. I would definitely try to get him to rethink his push for a self-shielded wire. It has been a while since I have priced self-shielded wires to compare them to the dual shield ones, so you might start there. Just a bit to consider. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-29-2008 11:57 Edited 05-29-2008 12:00
As you indicated above many things must be considered. The deposition rate, deposition efficiency, gas cost, and production factor etc.

The attached document uses some approx values from a filler metal mfg. The gas cost, cost per lb etc are just values for examples.
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 05-29-2008 12:46
High voltage is usually the problem when you get porosity. Be sure to use the manufactures recommended voltage and wire speed on straight polarity with a CV power supply.
Esab Coreshield 8 or Lincoln 233 are good wires.

Dennis
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 05-29-2008 16:33
Make sure you are on the currect polarity for the type of wire you are trying to run. Usually it will be DCEN, but not always. Check the manufacture's spec.'s. I have found that it makes more of a difference in bead appearance than you would think.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / self shielding wire