Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Need help finding a Spool gun for Miller Matic 200
- - By Allen Moss (*) Date 06-05-2008 00:47
Greetings Folks,
   I am new to the site and I want to learn to mig weld aluminum. I am trying to find a spool gun for a Miller Matic 200. I went to the Miller shop and was told I had to use a "WC 24" control box in order to get a gun to function. As I read some of the posts on this site I find that there is more then one way to skin the cat. If any of you folks can give me some advice on where to locate a spool gun that will work on the 200 I would really appreciate it. Thank you,
Allen Moss
Ocala,Fl.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-05-2008 02:44
Hi. If you have a MM 200 with the 4 pin plug designated for a spool gun on the face (I assume that's what you are talking about), all you need is a Spoolmatic #1. It will plug & play with that machine. The information you were given on the WC 24 was incorrect. The WC 24 is designed for use with the Miller 30A spool gun & is not compatible with your machine. You can pick a Spoolmatic #1 up on ebay for around $350+ on average for a good one. Shop around & you may get it cheap. They are older, but not a bad gun. The 30A's much better, but you'll go $600 on average to get one & the need the WC 24 & power source, or a MM 251 to run it. Good luck! Steve.

" I am the Warrior...I serve the death machine....Rulers and conquerors, all flash past on my silver screen." (Warriors, Thin Lizzy, Jailbreak LP)
Parent - - By weldersales (**) Date 06-06-2008 15:11
Good morning Allen,        Your MM200 has a 4 pin or a 14 pin connector in the lower right corner. If 4, Spoolmatic 1 is direct plug in; if 14, Spoolmatic 3 is. weldersales
Parent - - By Allen Moss (*) Date 06-09-2008 02:06
The machine is a white face, the SR# is JA393729 and it has a 4 pin connector. If any one out there has a spool matic 1 or another type that will work on my machine "in working order" please let me know what you need to have for it. Thank you.
Have fun,
Allen
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-09-2008 02:16
You need a Spoolmatic #1. Try weldersales. Or ebay. I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a decent one. That's the max. get pics first if it isn't on ebay. At least you will know what you're getting. Good luck. S.W.

"No sleep 'till Brooklyn."( Beastie Boys.)
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-13-2008 00:41
Did you find one?? S.W.
Parent - - By Allen Moss (*) Date 06-15-2008 01:00 Edited 06-15-2008 01:04
I have been looking but the only thing I have found is a Tweco Eliminator 300 amp #ESG225-3545 with a Tweco control box #ESG-1. I called Tweco and a tech person there E Mailed me that he "thinks" this gun and box will work on my MM 200. I would have thought that he could have come up with more then "He Thinks" it will work. I sure don't want to spend that much on a I think it will work ! ! ! How much should I spend on this set up??  Can any of you folks give me an idea on this gun and box working on my 200? I will need to know ASAP this equipment may not be for sale long.  Thanks for your help.
Have fun,
Allen
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-15-2008 02:57 Edited 06-15-2008 12:24
Allen. Don't waste your money on something that's not made for your machine. I stated in the last post what a spool gun for your machine is worth. Unless he's giving the Tweco away, I would just hold out until you can find a #1 for your machine. The Tweco unit is probably very overpriced & you'll have to hack to make it work. Just keep looking on ebay, you'll find a #1, I'm sure. They're common. Good luck. Steve.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-15-2008 04:14
Steve is right, You will have to figure out how to wire the control box to Your machine's contactor & power, not extremely dificult, but not a "plug & play" situation. I have been keeping a pretty close eye on eBay for about 2 years, and I havn't seen one of these Tweco units come up yet, and have not seen one in person. It might be a good unit, just not real common.
Parent - - By Allen Moss (*) Date 06-15-2008 12:47
Dave,
  I will take what you and Steve are saying as sound advice and hold off for the spoolmatic 1. If you guys are interested the Tweco unit I was referring to in now listed on E-Bay under "spool gun" I sure do appreciate you folks responding to my questions. It is going to save me a bunch of money and head ache. Thanks again.
Allen
Parent - By welderseller (**) Date 06-16-2008 19:37
Does anyone know if a Miller Spoolmate 185 will work on a Millermatic 200? If so, I do have  one for sale. It was labeled "Spoolmate 185 " and it came packaged with the Millermatic 185 when the 185 first came out.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-15-2008 12:29
Allen, I saw the gun you are looking at on ebay. It will probably go outta sight. Just keep looking for a #1. Do a check under spoolmatic, spoolgun & spool gun. I'm positive you'll come across one. Just keep looking for it. S.W.
Parent - - By Allen Moss (*) Date 06-15-2008 13:04
What was it listed under? I just checked each of those three spellings for it. It must be gone already. In the past all I was looking under was "spool gun" I didn't think it made a difference in how you spelled the item. Thanks for pointing this out. After your post I went in and entered each spelling and found out how many more items show up!
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-15-2008 16:40
I put tweco Spool gun. I wouldn't waste my time on that though. Just go under the names I mentioned in the prior post. I'm sure you will find one. I sent you a PM as well. S.W.
Parent - By dank11 Date 06-20-2008 21:33
Hey!
I've got a MM200
had the spoolmatic 1 for It (sold it sorry) Didn't really like It
Big and Awkward
ended up hooking a Cobramatic prince XL gun to it (could be used on any CV power supply )
You would have to buy a gun and controller
and need 115 volts
I do have a Cobramatic MK-3a that will plug into anthing also But set up for the MM 200
was trying to get $700 + shipping
Thanks!
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Need help finding a Spool gun for Miller Matic 200