Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Difference between 9.1 and 1.3?
- - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-06-2008 16:07
9.1  shet metal welding code and 1.3 strucural welding code - sheet metal seem very similar in title and description
as far as I can tell 1.3 has arc spot and arc seam, and 9.1 has brazing information?  I've been designing light guage SS 304 and mild steel sheet from 11-20 guage (mostly 16-20) and I was wondering which would have more useful design information. Only process we use is GTAW and GMAW so I'm not too keen about arc spot or brazing.  We have both structural and non structural joints, currently I'm using D1.6 but that only covers material down to 1/4" or 1/8"  so I'm wondering if these codes would have any useful design information or joint configurations I could reference?
I'm not actually welding to code, but I've been designing and detailing joints off of the D code as that seems like a smart idea
any clarification about what they contain?
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-06-2008 16:54
1.3 is for structural work on material < 1/8" thick.  1.9 is for non-structural work on sheet metal.  Pretty things.  That's my interpretation.
Parent - By Tim63 Date 04-19-2021 06:30
I think your answer will be more useful if you could define what is structural work and what is non-structural work. Examples in each will go a long way to clear any confusion.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-08-2008 04:10
The big difference I've noted is that D9.1 requires only visual inspection for PQR and WQTR's Vs D1.3 which has destructive testing requirements for both procedure and performance qualifications.

D9.1 also may be used for a variety of metals and D1.3 is for plain carbon steels.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-09-2008 16:27
Thanks that helps out a little more, do both included  Design of welded connections Clause 2 and prequalification information clause 3?. I've been using D1.6M as well as other references to give the mechanical engineers a general idea of industry standard welding design, joint details and procedures. I'm just trying to decide which code to buy next to give me some more welding design information and pre qualified joint details for sheet meta as 1.6 or 1.1 wouldn't apply.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Difference between 9.1 and 1.3?