Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 Question
- - By - Date 05-30-2000 16:42
Welder qualification "Table 4.8 positions qualified" Three questions. When a welder qualifies on a groove weld on plate in the 3G position is he qualified for the 1G, 2G, 3G, 1F, 2F, 3F, as well as pipe 24" dia and above for these same positions?
If the welder qualifies to a wps in the 3G & 4G table 4.8 says he/she is qualified for All positions. Does this include 6GR also?
If the welder fails one of these test positions either the 3G or the 4G, could he not be considered qualified for the position that he/she did pass?
Thank You for your help,
Louis
Parent - By - Date 05-31-2000 12:11
yes, no (except vertical and overhead pipe) and no (There are no combination test substitute for a 6GR qualification, 6GR has a restriction ring on a pipe and pipe is at 45 degrees) and depends. If he passes 3G and fails 4G he just cannot weld overhead grove welds. If he passes 4G & fails 3G HE JUST CANNOT WELD VERTICAL GROVES. If you are in Michigan I can set up a welder qualification matrix or training. I was a welding/weld inspector instructor for 2 years in the past. I work QA for Army contracts. Or just use the table in D1.1.

Regards,
Dominic josephd@tacom.army.mil

Remember "The Best Weld is No Weld at all"
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 Question