Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Welding cost estimator now with Strength calculator
- - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-24-2008 18:31 Edited 07-02-2008 21:39
*edit* see below for updated versions*

I made a welding cost estimator spreadsheet.
Made it for the GMAW and GTAW process but should probably work on any arc process with modification. If you're doing this for yourself than Operating factor and labor and overhead probably aren't a huge concern but that's 90% of the cost besides that welding is rather cheap.

I hope this helps someone out, much easier than using those formulas (cross checked it by hand came out +- 003% i.e rounding error)

*edit*
added a bunch more features
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-26-2008 13:45
[deleted]
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-26-2008 13:54
I'm going to save it... Very handy for a quick cost tally. Thanks!!!! S.W.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-02-2008 21:34
I've gone ahead and finalized the welding cost estimator, I've included cost per hour which is probably more useful to some. Input variables are in blue, you know the drill. I'm also including at no extra charge a welded joint strength calculator, fast way to get joint stregnth as Per ASD. I checked the figures to a table I have and everything came out exactly the same for the base calculations.

I'll make it known that there's lots of caveats for weld design and you still have to calculate how much force is on the weld but this is a good way to quickly ball park two welds to see the strength and it will output numbers that match the AWS ASD tables. My last project is tying it all together so that you can input the weld size and get the strength and then figure out how much metal and how long it would take to weld.

Anyways here's a list of things it does in case people ever want to search for it
Calculate fillet weld strength
calculate sheet metal strength
Calculate groove weld strength
calculate welding cost
calculate travel rate
Consumables cost
calculate heat input, joules per inch
Attachment: weldingcostestimatorpub.xls (39k)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Welding cost estimator now with Strength calculator