Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Radio Advertising for Welding School
- - By davetofaute (*) Date 08-12-2008 18:50
I am with Knight Technology & Welding School in Louisville, KY and we are planning to run 15 second radio spots to advertise the school's MIG, STICK & TIG programs. Can anyone refer me to a school that has had success that I could contact ?

www.knightschoolofwelding.com
Parent - - By and4rik (**) Date 08-12-2008 19:50
I don't want to discredit this school, their knowledge, or connections, but 3 grand for a basic smaw welding course semms like quite alot of cash.  Consider that at my local comunity college I was able to recieve ,what I would consider, top notch guidance from professionals in the field, lifetime job placement, supplied materials: rod,gas,torches no helmets or gloves, for a grand total of approx. -5 dollars.  thats right.  Adding up tuition for 4 semesters= approx.400$, financial aid 600$, supplies 195$,  I dont have reciepts, but you get the idea.  Yes I do consider myself lucky for this being availible and I do realize that this type of schooling is not availible in all areas.  I would just like to point out that there are other options.  I once asked my teacher why they dont have welding courses at the university level,  his repliy was "because they're stupid"  haha, but I think he's right.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 08-12-2008 23:10
I don't understand why they have these schools for 5gran a semester..(This is what I seen at a different school)..or something crazy around that when a person can go sign up at there local technical college for way the hell cheaper, if I'm paying that much I want one on one all the time I will for sure getting my money worth I expect to go out on a job and pipeline after that semester but I don't know i've never gone to a private school for welding. I 'd rather go to the one that I went to that the state owned I felt like I got a good enough education it was up to me to take it to another level. I think it was like 395 for the semester and I burn as many rods and torches and bottles as I can possibly could handle and I think night courses were like 95 dollars which can't beat that.

Chris
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 08-13-2008 17:19 Edited 08-13-2008 17:32
Chris,
Wow, I'm with You Guys!! No way in H*LL would I shell out that much coin for 80 hrs of instruction. I just got backfrom My College's Book store to pick up supplies for this semester. My entire tuition for this semester, "which is College Credit Hours", was a whopping $886.00 for 160 hrs of under the hood time, and a Drafting and blueprint reading for Welders Course. I paid the same 2 semesters ago, and i paid $1000.00 for a 115 hr GMAW course at The local ARMY Arsenal post over the summer semester. I don't get why anyone would consider their course of instruction to be worth that much $$$!! I've never even heard of a 80 hr welding course. Any way that's my $.02 on the matter.
Respectfully, Jeffrey

Oh, and those "advanced courses" that certify a student...well, that doesn't mean squat because you can't carry certs from place to place. Every Job is going to want you to re-certify anyway. I'm happy with the level of education I get. So what if i busted 2 weld tests, at least after my first semester I was out in the job market working as a welder/fabricator!
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 08-13-2008 17:50 Edited 08-13-2008 17:53
there is a big difference in credit courses and continuing ed courses. credit courses receive state monies. continuing ed receive special state and federal also companies pay for that
training. it is difficult for someone to come out of pocket because it's not made to be affordable. You often dont receive very good training as well due to consumales cost for practice. teaching from a book does not cost that much. I know how it works because I did it and it was not for me. I like instructing but you cant teach people based on hrs. people are different. So some get out and got nothing.
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 08-13-2008 18:28
Pipeslayer,
I agree with you on your point, that you can't teach based on hrs. Not everyone is going to catch on. I was making the point that My Hrs are transferable college Credit Hrs. They can be applied to an engineering degree. I purchased a welding text book my first semester, but class time was all hands on. we as College students were expected to use our out of class time to study 2chapters every 2 weeks. Classroom lecture time is appropriate for such topics as Technical Mathematics, Metallurgy, Welding Theory, And Print Reading.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-13-2008 18:10
I have always had reservations about the high cost of private welding schools.  When I attended a CC 10 years ago, it was only $600 for as many credits as a person could swallow.  I took 21 credit hours one semester.  Heck, the question of credit even comes up.  At a CC the credit would transfer to an advanced degree.  At a 'welding school' there might not even be college credit for all the money paid.  It reminds me of those fancy TV ads for a new career in 'medical billing' or 'administrative assistants' - for only several thousand dollars, with student loans readily available.
Parent - By SMTatham (**) Date 08-13-2008 20:37
Anyone looking for a quality private welding school owes it to themselves to at least check out Missouri Welding Institute in Nevada, MO.  Their website is http://www.mwi.ws

Give them a call or drop in; first class place.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-13-2008 21:02
Hello OBEWAN and others, it is very difficult to try to compare private training facilities to CC's, Tech's, Voc's, etc., you can argue that the training is much more intense and the instructor to student ratio could be much better with a private than the other choices. Cost is not necessarily an indicator of value, you can have an inexpensive program, yet it may also have little out the door value in the end. On the other hand you may have an inexpensive program that turns out to be the "deal of the century" so to speak.
     The real indicator of value probably lies in the successes of the individuals who make the choice to opt for these private training options. Consider the Lincoln School of Welding, or Hobarts School of Welding, neither one of these are inexpensive, yet I believe almost any of the folks who have gone through their programs have probably been very satisfied in the long haul with their choice to use them. I am with the majority of you when I look at the prices for some of this training and it's expense. At the same time, if I was a graduate of this training and it truly prepared me properly for entrance into and working out in the welding trade I could probably say that I got my monies worth. Short-term training is what is needed for some folks, intense training is also a positive for many, the "right" private school could be just the ticket for a certain population of individuals who are out there and thus justify the increased cost. In this case, with this individual's school, if he in fact can provide the necessary skills and knowledge, post training support, and is recognized by employers and others as having a class operation, his school may very well be worth the prices he is charging. I certainly can't make that call based upon the information that has been presented here. Just a few thoughts for everyone out there. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 08-13-2008 22:37
Hello Allan,
As always your responses make alot of sense. I was only looking at the High tuition cost to Hrs of training ratio at this school. I can't speak on, nor did I, the quality of training provided at this school. I must remember though, that when I first communicated with You, I was a very disgruntled welding student. I do however have great news concerning my school. After all the meetings and talks with Admin, I can say that things have really shaped up. The entire welding lab got a complete renovation. All new machines, new welding booths, new shears and presses, and we have good steel to work with now. The spark is back in the eye of my instructor and he has renewed enthusiasm for his profession. This will have a direct affect on the students, or at least on this one.
  As for the cost of my education being far less than what is advertised for the school in this thread, that's all I can really expound upon. I have no relevant information to draw a conclusion as to the worth of this school's instruction.
Respectfully, Jeffrey 
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-14-2008 06:31
Hello Jeffrey, thank you for the response. I know that I can also be somewhat biased as to the cost of schooling when comparing one program to another or a private to a public or even union trade school. My main point was to stress that all of these different types of offerings are only as good as those who adminster and oversee them. The satisfaction and success of these different types of training venues is dependent as much on the attitude of the students as those who are doing the instruction. Although cost is important to just about everyone of us, the outcomes and rewards of our education and training generally overshadow these differences when you look at the big picture. Everyone has a different situation and those situations will mesh with certain types of training better than others. Ideally, the majority of us hope to be luck enough to have made the right choice and not had one of the "bad" or "costly" experiences.
    I am glad to hear of the changes that have occured at "your" school, I put it that way partly because this where you have received a lot of your training and also because of the efforts that you put forth when you were displeased with what was going on there. You took the time and put forth the effort and through your perseverence positive changes have come about. You can certainly be proud to have been a part of those changes and the renewed interest of the instructor. It's good to hear from you, hope all is well and progressing positively. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 08-14-2008 16:58
I'm sure he got his attitude in order when his job was on the line but thats good you were able to get all that worked out
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 08-14-2008 12:18
davetofaute,
Columbia Basin College (CBC) in Pasco Washington does advertisements on radio. Great 2 year school. Was considered #1 in the nation in the late 70's through mid 90's. Mainly produced Nuke welders. Number is 509-547-0511 ask for the welding dept.

Thanks
Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Radio Advertising for Welding School