Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipeline work in illinois
- - By gotpipe597 (**) Date 08-13-2008 02:20
Just got back in illinois. I have been in rifle, Co. since april. Just wondering if anyone knows if there is any pipelining work in the area that is non-union. If it is union are the companies testing non-union hands and putting them on permit as they work in the area.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 08-13-2008 12:15
I heard of something going on in Decatur here in the near future.  I really don't know to much about it.  I had my spouses dad telling me how he was going to try and get on as a laborer there.  He talked about 2 or three small ones going in Illinois and one coming into Illinois from somewhere.
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 08-14-2008 00:52
There is some permit hands being brought in but most calls are being filled by other locals. I know that ranger is building a new compressor station north of Taylorville on county road 22 cause we're running the 42" pipe under the road to them right now. There are other staions that are being built but don't know by who.
Parent - - By gotpipe597 (**) Date 08-14-2008 01:35
Are they bring in hands form 798. I just sent in my app. to go and test for them in tulsa.
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 08-18-2008 01:13
798 might still be putting hands on in Indiana and Ohio. Illinois aint in their jurisdiction.
Parent - - By pipeliner 798 (**) Date 08-28-2008 01:01
your right illinois isnt our juridiction but we have the majority of the pipe that involves the rockies express so this line is our jurisdiction in illinois
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 08-28-2008 02:27
There are alot of 798 hands out here but it's still out of 597's jurisdiction. Alot of 798 hands came over from spread one in Missouri cause the dues are only 1% instead of 6%. I'm on spread two right now, from about Waverly to Blue Mound,IL,  and they're expecting the job to last till the beginning of next year some time.
Parent - - By pipeliner 798 (**) Date 08-28-2008 11:11
i heard yall were about finished, im on the next spread from just north west of bluemound through decature to somewere we got 40 miles here then go to ohio we have 200+ there, oh thanks for the correction guess i worded that a wrong
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 08-29-2008 00:38
Hell, we got a month and a half late start on our spread. Don't think we, the tie-in and road bore hands, will be gone till next year. We got 77 miles, 70 road bores and Lord only knows what else. I heard a rumor today that we are going to be pickin up some of spreads one's work cause they aint been able to keep hands. If that's true and it goes like it is right now, I'll be here till this time next year. Just gotta smile and listen to that money going into my bank account. If you're workin from the Blue Mound station, you must be workin for Gregory and Cook. If you are, you're miles ahead of Welded. Sonny told us yall were gettin 2 .888 wall welds done a day with that fabshield wire.
Parent - - By K.Sexton26 (**) Date 08-29-2008 05:04
are yall running orbitals or welding the line by hand?
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 08-30-2008 02:15
Both. They're running the main line with CRC-Evans autos and doing the tie-ins and road bores by hand.
Parent - - By pipeliner 798 (**) Date 08-30-2008 02:16
crc evans automatics on the main line  sqwirt guns on bores and tie-ins
Parent - - By K.Sexton26 (**) Date 08-30-2008 20:13
are yall runnin STT or RMD process downhill on the roots then fill and cappin with dualshield uphil on tiein's & bores. what kinda test did you have to take if ya dont mind me askin, do you think the repair rate better with the fluxcore compared to sticking it out from your experiance. are they having a tuff time manning the job or keeping hands because of the fluxcore and automatics.
Parent - By pipeliner 798 (**) Date 08-31-2008 06:42
6010 down bead, 9018 uphill hot, fab shield fill and cap down hill. tested the same procedure half 42'' and 12'' branch. fab shield digs like you wouldnt believe, its very forgiving so no repaires yet (this is my first rodeo with the fabshield) no problem maning the job i believe only two missed the test,and that was from undercutting the bead on x80 pipe. as for as the automatics anybody can run them after about 30 minutes of training.
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 08-31-2008 15:38
On our spread, we got two different procedures. 5p bead downhill, 9018 hot and fabshield out. The other is 5p bead and 9018 the rest of the way. We was doing a fabshiled hotpass which worked great but they said it was too risky for burnthroughs. The welders can decide which procedure they want to use but I prefer the fabshield. Pipeliner is right, the fabshield is very forgiving and digs like you wouldn't believe. I think the dig is why they won't let us run it on a hot pass anymore. Had a few problems with porosity flushing it out but we got in some Lincoln wire that we're going to try out. The hands that've run it said it's a night and day difference. I brought some home with me to run and see how it does, can't wait to see what it can do.  We did somewhere around 6 or 7 tests. A 5p/9018 butt and branch, 5p/9018/fabshield butt and branch, 5p fabshield butt, and the repair test was optional. The 5p/9018 test were for the money.  Our spread is manned up but spread one in Missouri is having a hard time keepin hands.I've heard the welder foreman is pretty strict on being late and such.
Parent - - By pipeliner 798 (**) Date 08-31-2008 15:54
yea, we have a couple other procedures also, like the fabshield hot pass, but we dont have a repaire procedure for that so any repair will be a cutout. we also have 9018 hot,fill and cap, and we have a uphill fluxcored using 75/25. im really starting to like the fabshield, we put a 750 wall in the clamps at 8:00 saturday, the foreman said soon as were done were going to the house, at 10:45 we were off the ROW, i sure dont think i can do that with 70+
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 08-31-2008 18:41
I wish we had a fluxcore procedure but don't think it's gonna happen. What kind of wire speed are yall runnin? We've been doing the first fill from the hot at around 85-90 then kickin it up to 105-110 till it's time to strip so we don't get porosity. That pretty close to what yall are doing? We're also weaving the first three fills then runnin strippers.
Parent - By pipeliner 798 (**) Date 08-31-2008 20:25
im runnin 95to 105 on wire speed on all fillers, but go down to about 80 on the bottom, heat on about 17.5-17.8 and strippin and cappin on about 80. ive been stuffing the hell out of the sides and havent had to run a strip in a few welds, were weaving the first two then two stripper passes and strip the side if need be, then 3 pass cap, but carring a lot of metal on each pass,  (750 wall) it worries me on the sides carring that much but iv asked x-ray and they said there clean, clean, clean thats why i say its very foregiving. i dont know why they ran the fluxcore procedure i dont think we'll ever us it
Parent - - By pipeliner 798 (**) Date 08-30-2008 02:13
they just made the first 888 wall yesterday or the day before dont know how long it tookem but im on the first roadbore crew that kicked off were on our 12th or 13th bore its 740 wall, with fabshield we can make two welds and go to the house at 2:00, were doing a bore a day and i think theres 52 or 62 bores. there only usuing 888 on the big bores, were using a cradle bore on these little farm to market roads. i know what you mean about the $$$$ i just came from arizona was there 5 months swung by the house and stayed 2 nights on my way out here and ill be here (illinois and ohio)for about 15 to 18 months says robert. make it while its here.
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 08-30-2008 02:24
They was talkin about takin some of the hands to Ohio for the spread next year. Have you heard any more about the rumor that this line is goin to Jersey? We've got a couple miles laid in the ditch right now but the DOT found a couple of defects in the pipe within a 1/4 mile of each other on some that was gettin ready to be laid in a couple days. The pipe manufacturer left some deep gouges that went below min. wall and they are starting to really look at the line pipe. If they find enough, they might make em dig up the line they laid so they can inspect it. It just gets better everyday.
Parent - - By zackhodge (*) Date 09-28-2008 23:53
when are you supposed to be going through ohio?
and exactly where are you going through
Parent - - By pipeliner 798 (**) Date 10-05-2008 22:49
should be there in a month or so, dont know the location of the line but we will be warehousing in wilmington
Parent - By zackhodge (*) Date 10-12-2008 18:15
thats not to far from me i hope to see some of you guys around when your here
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 08-14-2008 02:27
gotpipe597,
I think you might find some work in Peoria, ILL. Go to: Peoriahelpwanted.com  Set up a free job posting account with them.

I  know they have plenty of Union and non union shops there and in Morton, IL, which is just a few miles south of Peoria.
I hope this helps You.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 08-28-2008 18:15
Still looking for 2 welders for this little job in Annapolis Maryland. Haven't had ANYONE respond-Ted
Parent - - By showmewelder (*) Date 09-02-2008 22:02
hey there,whats ur job ur talkin about in maryland,,
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 09-02-2008 22:14
call me 410-808-8353 Ted
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipeline work in illinois