Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / automatic welders on pipeline
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-30-2008 01:43 Edited 09-30-2008 01:45
I've heard about them but have never seen them and was curious as to how this process works and what type of training is available
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-30-2008 04:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTzus_W8Y8
Check this video out Shad. There are others on that page as well.
I PMed you today.
Did you get it?
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-30-2008 04:32
no tim i didnt get nuthing from you today
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-30-2008 04:58
did you get my PM? :)
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-30-2008 12:10
yes the test went perfectly
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-30-2008 12:11
i tried to watch the video you tube loads so slow on this thing but from what i saw it's avery quik process how many passs are they running with those things
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-30-2008 14:11
Thats slick!!

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 09-30-2008 14:52 Edited 09-30-2008 14:54
I takw it that was a bare wire MIG and not a cold wire Tig system, but that is very fast for the size pipe. Only problem with those machines are they are expensive to buy and rent, atleast the ones I have worked with. I wonder how many IPM that thing was runing.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-30-2008 15:14 Edited 09-30-2008 15:18
I was thinking it might be FCAW. Too many sparks for TIG welding. I saw coolant lines but didn't see argon or CO2 bottles. I could be wrong.

Here's one for UT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK9siHV4Fao&feature=related
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 09-30-2008 20:10
The ones I saw were flux core
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-30-2008 21:11
i finally got it to load and watched it wow around 3 minuets from the time the shack hits the top of the pipe now that fast what size pipe do ya think it was i'm guess 36'' i wonder how many joints they are gettin in a day
Parent - By pipeliner 798 (**) Date 10-06-2008 01:22
i believe that was 36'', dont know how many they get a day but our spread has the record for 42'', our maingang laid 182 joints last year in a day, they are getting around a 100 a day right now on 42'' but having to ring the clamps up and down a lot shimming hi/low, were also running about a 3% rejection rate, (thats very good with automatics)
i also seen someone ask about preheating, the preheaters run in front of the clamps.
this is something to see, my fist time to work on automatics was the first of this year i was in the hotpass shack, glad i got to experiance them but now i wish they would go away, they put to many welders out of a job
FYI  182 joints 80' long = about 2 3/4 miles of 42'' pipe, done with 13 welders in 10 hours, pretty dam fast!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-01-2008 21:03
i was suprised that they didnt have to preheat the pipe in the very cold temperatures.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-30-2008 18:21
Looks like you out of a job rafterman! :-)
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 09-30-2008 20:09 Edited 09-30-2008 20:34
Actually the operators usually have to be welders in most cases, I have seen these at the UA training school in Ann Arbor, of course the pipe liners haven't set up at the UA school in about three years due to all the work out there in the pipeline sector, they are quite the machine. Three years ago they said the pipe liners had about 10K miles of pipe to run.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-30-2008 21:07
I think it's sweet. I know that jobs, of course, involved to a degree, hopefully none will be drastically cut where it's in use, but to see that thing whiz around that pipe & do a near "Perfect" weld was amazing. Looks like MIG, I couldn't tell though. Not a lot of smoke for an FCAW weld. I haven't an idea, but it was cool to watch.

I'm still all for the men & Women Weldors doing the work, but you cannot fight progress. Robots in the auto industry are proof of that.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-30-2008 21:15
i've been out of a job since 3-18-08 but i'm gettin ready to get back at it and i'll b slapping you with my wallet lol the automatic is not the way it was explained to me but the info i got was from my wifes cousin and he pretty much is a well he b/s's alot he made it sound like you were on  weld all day long now i know they are flat gettin after it thats my kind of work those guys dont mes around
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-30-2008 21:35
As long as money is falling out of your wallet, you can slap me with it all you want. :-)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-30-2008 21:43
well actually my check book i dont keep money in my wallet i carry it in my front pocket mainly because i normally caryy no less than 100 but usually 3 or 400 well not lately. i do good to have 3 or 4.00 if it's a good day
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-30-2008 21:56
I know the feeling. Not for too long. Once you get that CWI rolling, you'll be going good.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-30-2008 22:15
i gotta move some machines or go to work for cactus for a while so we can move by december life just got to sucking more but i got a big shovel to dig myself out
Parent - - By cdd (**) Date 10-01-2008 03:27
The automatic welders are Solid wire mig and weld down hill on bands. The guns are hooked to a machine that latches to the band and is controlled by preset computer programs which sets all the variables  and the welder uses a remote to keep the weld in the bevel. They usually run a J groove which is real tight and have a two bead cap. The welding is done in shacks which are picked up and moved by side booms. The side booms have a generator to run the welding machines that are located on it. CRC Evans is the company that provides alot of the union automated welding on the pipline.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-01-2008 03:38
It looked like MIG. Too clean an appearance immediately after welding for FCAW & no smoke from watching the vid. Cool stuff.
Parent - - By K.Sexton26 (**) Date 10-01-2008 16:46
they do run dual shield flux core also on pipelines, magnatech has a bug and power source thats called pipeliner II that does a really good job
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-01-2008 17:21
That's a really cool setup. I would love to see it in person!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-01-2008 03:49
do the pipeline cos offer training or do ya have to go to school to un them my wifes cousin said the co trained him for 2 weeks after he busted the stick test
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-01-2008 03:36
I need an excavator. :-)
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 10-01-2008 03:46
I have four for sell. Cheap too.
No joke.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-01-2008 04:16
I meant to dig myself out of the hole :-)
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-01-2008 03:47
get a shovel
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-01-2008 16:06
and eventually this will take all our jobs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niVsJPFlg1Y
I know they tried to push FSW to the ship yard in Newport news, I heard they weren't buying it I believe there's still some issues in terms of evaluating weld quality and consistency, It will be a few more years until it's ready for commercial work (although it already is doing some).

My prediction is that in the next 10-15 years a lot more of these technologies will start taking over, there will always be a need for skilled welders to operate these machines and do manual work, but When an automatic machine can come in and do the job faster and with less defects it will start taking over the grunt work. Plus with the shortage of skilled labor I know some ship yards HAD to start using robots because they didn't have enough humans to do the work!
Parent - - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-01-2008 22:49
OK I have a question and I'm not sure where to ask it.....My step Dad is a Welder and has been for too many years, he is in the 798 Union and currently on a job in Louisiana. I want to get on the job as a helper but I'm not sure how to go about it. He says he can put in a good word for me but where do i go from there?? Another thing, I'm a female but I am an extremely hard worker and my mom was my fathers helper for 9 years and I know if she can do it I can too, but what do I do to get on and what all does it consist of?? Thanks everyone!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-01-2008 23:12
get the number from your dad and call the hall
Parent - - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-01-2008 23:15
I know I can Call but I was curious about what the helper did and all that good stuff, when I call the hall they will tell me what all to do?? Someone said I could just go to the job site and I could probably get hired on out there that they do that with some people, and they are really short on helpers on this job??
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-01-2008 23:24
last time i tried joining i sent an email to the hall and talked to a man by the last name of black i think he called and gave me a description of the work so yeah call the hall they can answer all ur questions i ended up not joining cause i didnt have the 500 to test
Parent - - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-01-2008 23:36
But I just want to be a Helper so I dont have to pay 500 to test right??
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-01-2008 23:40
no 500 was for welding test as a helper you will roll up and unroll the welders leads and ext. cords grind his cuts and welds hand him rods ,tools ,etc pretty much a gofer or a gruny but they call them worms get use to it you'l be doing all the foot work my wifes aunt is a helper on the line and she is amking 30 an hr and 42.50 a day perdium good luck call the hall and talk to them
Parent - - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-01-2008 23:40
I don't think the Helpers have to test....I know a lot about the 798 and the Welding but not so much about the helper side of the deal.
Parent - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-01-2008 23:41
Cool thanks for the info!!
Parent - - By rockin d (**) Date 10-01-2008 23:49
Shad, Shad, Shad , thats his first name buddy, Black Schroder. He is one of the reps . for Texas & a few other states.
Parent - - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-01-2008 23:50
Rockin D whats your opinion on the whole situation?
Parent - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-02-2008 00:26
Can anyone give me anymore info??? Anyone in the 798??
Parent - - By rockin d (**) Date 10-02-2008 00:27
I was in it  @ one time , but to damn dumb, i never called in to go off & work, some of my buddy's did & they got sent off to Dallas , to put pvc fitting's together(200 years of pipeline experience to glue pvc together HA HA I still laugh), after they came back nobody pursued it anymore ,cause there was alot of work here @ home (pipelines ,Compressor stations,etc.etc.) Here recently I called again to get back in & was set up a date to go test, but I have not got a chance to go ,is one , another is we got a raise , so may main reason for getting back in was for the money , but i'm making more so i put the union on hold for now . As far as my thoughts on working union well i'm 1/2 yah & 1/2 naahhh. I think union is good Cause you have somebody representing you , wont work you to death , blah blah blah , now dislikes well I don't really need somebody to speak for me ( I have never quit a job , & i have never got fired from a job) & I work @ my own pace when i broke out i wanted to leave everybody behind , but then i realized nobody is going to remember how many miles of pipe you put together in a day, much less remember your name so they can try to drag my A$$ but i wont go any faster than i have too. I guess i really got off the subject , I'll tell you what if Shad is rite about a helper making $30.00 an hr. go for it cause I don't think you'll find anybody that will pay that much.That's if you like to tarvel , & not be home w/ that one person or persons that you love or care about. That's my opinion .
Parent - - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-02-2008 00:33
Well thanks! Ummm.....my dad is a welder with the 798 so he is always gone on a job and my mom goes with him, I dont mind to travel and I would be with family alot....the job I want to get on is in Louisiana where my dad and brother are both at but I just wonder how hard it is it get on and some say just to show up at the yard and after a few days they will hire you but I dont know if I want to pack up and leave with out a for sure job you know.....My dad is a very good welder and knows everyone out there (literally) and I think he could get me on or at least put in a good word but the not knowing is what worries me.....
Parent - - By rockin d (**) Date 10-02-2008 00:43
I really don't think it will be hard ,do you know hot to buff a weld & use a grinder ?
Parent - - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-02-2008 00:54
No....LOL but Dad has his own truck and machine and stuff so I know he could teach me a few days before I try for the job and I know there are lots of other jobs out the too...tie ends....and other stuff
Parent - - By rockin d (**) Date 10-02-2008 01:18
GOOD LUCK, you'll do fine. Just watch others , & ask ???? But most of all &,Most important  be carefull & always be alert , you have heavy mach.. & shifting pipe on  the row so just watch out. ...David
Parent - - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-02-2008 01:25
Thanks so much David!
Parent - - By ryan gaspard (**) Date 10-02-2008 01:40
what part of La. is your dad in, i am in new iberia, 798 is at the port of iberia double jointing pipe.
Parent - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-02-2008 01:54
Dad is in Lake Charles...
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / automatic welders on pipeline
1 2 Previous Next