Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / visual inspection forms
- - By Travis Collins (**) Date 11-06-2008 21:27
I am looking for some forms to sign off on some visual inspections.  Could anyone tell me where I could find some or possibly send me a copy?
Parent - - By 464238 (**) Date 11-06-2008 22:38
what are you trying to sign off on?
Parent - - By Travis Collins (**) Date 11-07-2008 00:05
I am needing looking for a form to report the results from a visual inspection for the contractor.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 11-07-2008 00:31
I think the question being asked is what is being signed off. A visual inspection of a pig, a hat,  or a weld made to a specific code(AWS,API,ASME)
Parent - - By Travis Collins (**) Date 11-07-2008 00:57
Well I guess i just assumed since I was on an AWS web site, it would be understood that I was talking about welds. 
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-07-2008 01:33
Hello Travis, I might add a note here. I believe Hogan was referring to specific sections or applications of whichever specific code you are addressing. Yes, even though this is the AWS forum, there are questions from all around the world that end up on here, hence, mention of ASME, API, AWS D1.1, or any number of other code considerations, even the European codes. Depending on which one you are needing to do a report on there could be specific considerations that would be included in some of the codes but not others or if they are included they are possibly judged according to a different criteria. I believe that if you include a more specific description of the specific code you will receive a more specific answer. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By Travis Collins (**) Date 11-07-2008 01:40
I am working with AWS D1.1.  Thanks aevald.
Parent - By ross (***) Date 11-07-2008 04:33
I think there are some free D1 forms to download at www.awspubs.com.

Hogan wasn't being sarcastic, Travis. He didn't mean real pigs and hats. Those are terms of the trade.

Ross
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 11-07-2008 14:03
Travis,
What everyone is trying to ask is specific information on what is being inspected.  By that I mean, for example, is it only welds or does it include the entire weldment; will this be a painted structure, etc?  If you are inspecting an entire weldment and not just its welds, then your form will likely need a method to indicate that the fabrication inspection has been performed (i.e. base materials are correct, dimensions are correct, placement of stiffeners is correct, edges have been properly prepared for coating, etc).
Mankenberg
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-07-2008 14:48 Edited 11-07-2008 14:55
Just to add one little thing for consideration to Allan's post.  The scope and extent of your inspection should be indicated in your documentation.  That is to say, if you are simply inspecting the welds with no enhanced aid (i.e. MT, PT), and that is the type of inspection which is chiefly employed by your shop, then whatever form you use should be fairly simple. 

Personally, my weld inspection plan utilizes a simple home-made form, which is intended to be attached to the traveler and WPS (and, when necessary, a working drawing of the weldment).  The joint details are always translated in the drawing or the traveler, and the addition of a step to check fit-ups and first parts ensures the welders are behaving.  Occasionally I will also attach a dimensional analysis to the package, when close tolerances are required to be maintained.  It is my opinion that your form should be tailored to the work which you do, as well as the code or codes you work to.  You may find that different forms for different work may be the answer.  At any rate, I will attach a graphic to this of my form.  Good luck!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-07-2008 14:57 Edited 11-07-2008 15:12
I would like to second Boz's suggestion that every job has reporting requirements unique to that job, i.e., rarely are any two jobs exactly alike. As such, an inspection form can be developed to meet the project requirements.

There is specific information that should be included in every report, such as the name of the client, the owner, the EOR, the fabricator, location of the inspection, type of inspection, i.e., shop or field, does it include bolting, welding, painting, visual, additional NDT, drawings used including approvals or reviewed by, materials, welding documentation review, materials review, electrode storage, fit-up, welds, fit of bolted connections, use of washers, type of washers, i.e.,, flat or beveled, type of connections when bolting is involved, i.e., slip critical, pretensioned, snug tight, and the list goes on and on and on.

There is no reason to use preprinted inspection forms when computers with word processing capabilities sit on nearly everyone's desk top.

The attached form is an example of the first two pages of a report I use and modify as needed. The third page, not shown, includes a section for naratives, closing, certification statements, etc.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-07-2008 15:25
Guys,
Please excuse me if I appear ignorant but the original question seemed straight forward.
Surely you wouldn't have a different visual inspection form for all the different scenarios that have been noted above ?
I have a standard visual inspection form that I use for mining, oil and gas, petrochem, dairy, pulp and paper etc.
All the basic required information is noted on the form and it is then filled out to suit the specific requirements.
Date
Date inspection performed
Company performing Inspection
Location of Inspection
Client
Applicable Code
Specific Code Section
Item inspected
Part or subassembly inspected
Results of inspection
Remedial work required
Summary
Sign off

I may have missed something because it is very late and I have been partaking but hopefully the idea is there.
Al,
I agree with your response but Travis mentioned welds only and that is what I have based my response on,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-07-2008 15:37
Hello Shane;

As I said, every job has different reporting requirements due to differences in welding standards and scope of work.

I inspect welded fabrications to various weld categories for military work, each having different reporting requirements, as well as commercial jobs involving AWS and ASME. Again, different requirements for each project. The military inspection reports require specific information that may change from one "service class" to another. To include information that is not required can lead to unexpected results and needless clarifications that can be avoided if the forms are tailored to the requirements of the applicable standards.

Your comments are far from ignorant. The type of work inspected often dictates the attributes reported. It sounds like you have a basic form, but the information you report on may vary from one application to another. In my case, I eliminate those attributes that do not need to be included to reduce the chance of misinterpretation or misunderstanding by the individual reading the report. I use the report as a check list to make sure I don't overlook anything important.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 11-08-2008 16:23
Shane,

You didn't miss anything...One thing to consider though, once you have your report template(s) built, it takes little or no time to customize them to a specific customer or application.  Some customers really like that extra touch.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By Travis Collins (**) Date 11-07-2008 20:02
Hey Boz, thanks for the inspection form.  I believe that is will work fine for the job.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-07-2008 20:32
Welcome.  PM me your e-mail if you want, and I'll send over the ms word document for it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / visual inspection forms