Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Tool Boxes
- - By tazmannusa (**) Date 11-11-2008 00:58
Hello All
A while back there was a topic on tool boxes in shop talk so  I figured I would show a couple made from 16 gage broke up with a 4' leaf brake. The first one is a top loader 34"x 20" x 12"D  for my own truck bed that I am building. The lid was my first attemp at a cofin top "not easy without pan and box brake" need to adjust measurment a bit so the end pieces cutout fit back after bent. The main body is broke up in one piece so all you have to do is weld the ends in, same with the 4' under bed boxes built for customer. Those are 18" H x 15" D x 48" L with off set doors to clear tie down winches and hooks. To give you an idea on cost I have 6 hours on each 4 footer and about $125 each in materials and they still need painted.
Anyone have picture of theres and how they built them please post them up.
Tom
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 11-11-2008 01:48
Sir, you do very good work. Thanks for sharing. What kind of brake do you have? I've been toying with the idea of buying one for a while but dont no enough about them to spend the money yet.
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 11-11-2008 13:33
Thanks
The brake I have is an old chicago 4' leaf brake rated for 12 gage. They are a lot of fun to mess with and it takes a bit to learn them. A pan and box brake rated for 12 gage would be ideal. If your lookin to buy be leary of the china brands, not enough meat to them to bend the thicker gages.
Tom
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 12-01-2008 01:23
Nice boxes man! Sure is nice to have some good sheet metal equipment to do the work on too. S.W.
Parent - - By sickytwisted (*) Date 11-27-2008 20:29 Edited 11-27-2008 20:34
you wouldnt happen to have a blue print to that.  I'd love to modify it.  How did yo get the top part of that box.  THe part that is only visible with the door opened up.  The part that is visible in the second picture from the top.  Its the lip.  Did you bend that on the same brake.
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 11-29-2008 16:18
Hello Sticky
No I dont have blue prints, I just do a rough scetch to get measurments needed for layout. I think I still have it on that one, if you would like I can scan it and post it.  All the bends were done on same brake.
  Tom
Parent - - By Jim12 (**) Date 11-30-2008 13:55
Again as mentioned nice work!
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 12-02-2008 02:20
Thanks Jim12 and SW
I have been working on a few bigger ones with flush doors so I snagged the wifes camera and took a few shots so it can be seen how to do it.
  Tom
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Tool Boxes