Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6g cap and helpers
- - By Danny Lilly (*) Date 11-19-2008 02:50
This is a two part question to save a lot of typeing ,because I got something in my eye and it hurts like crazy. Ok on the cap for 6g I know you can either weave or two bead. I prefer a two bead because its more consistant and seems to be stronger. I get inconsistant with the weave and some undercut at 6 oclock. Im working on both. What do most job site prefer when you go to test? Also who would I talk to for getting on as a helper? I know at that this time things are slow, but I would like to get my foot in the door. Im going to school right now, and trying to rig out a truck. I have a 71 redface sa 200 lincoln, but not sure which way to go. I normally do not have any problems with root hotpass or fill. Its cap that needs work. So I want to get on as a helper to pick up on a few things. Any suggestions? 
Parent - - By K.Sexton26 (**) Date 11-19-2008 04:24
When you make a 6G weld stringers are the only acceptable way to put a cap on. Nowadays most QC weld inspec. won't even allow a weave on 5G welds especially Xray welds they want stringer beads in any position. Weaves are prone to trapped slag,undercut,inconsistancy and so on. If you like to use a weave on a bellhole weld rule of thumb is 2 1/2 times the diameter of the electrode your using, and make sure you get good at it cause there's nothing uglier than a unconsistent weave.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-19-2008 12:48
[deleted]
Parent - - By Danny Lilly (*) Date 11-20-2008 02:39
I can understand what you are saying about the cap on a 12. But what about a 6inch sch 40 down hill. The 12 will take more heat. That would make it somewhat eaiser, but if they test you on 6 where the heat doesnt travel thru as well as on a 12, what type of cap would you run?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-20-2008 04:02
[deleted]
Parent - By K.Sexton26 (**) Date 11-20-2008 05:20
Guys i wasn't paying attention i guess, i thought he was asking about making a 6G test in process or building trade pipe per asme, like bigk says most dhill pipe is run with single pass cap till you get to the heavier walled stuff
Parent - - By Danny Lilly (*) Date 11-21-2008 03:49
Ok on a single pass for a 6g cap would you try to make a circular motion or side to side? Would you try to hesitate at the top?
Parent - - By 63 Max (***) Date 11-21-2008 04:32 Edited 11-22-2008 19:19
The best advice I could give you is time under the hood. As for most of the capping I do it is a single pass  side to side. Sometimes on Horizonal welds of 20in or larger I may do a 2 bead cap. Also don't be afraid of turning the dial up, run it as hot as you can. Once you learn to carry the metal you will have a great start. Good Luck
Parent - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 11-22-2008 01:56
weld it like you would a regular bell hole straight side side dont weve at a 45 degree
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6g cap and helpers