Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / WTB Belt sander
- - By dringge (*) Date 12-14-2008 16:02
I teach in a community college. I am also a CWI and do quite a bit of weld testing. I need to buy a new belt sander. The one we have, purchased by a previous instructor, is inadequate and worn out. The increase in students has also put a greater workload on. I am not looking for a cheap replacement. Needs to be heavy duty.
Anyone have any suggestions on a particular brand that works well for them? Any do's and dont's in considering various units?
Thanks
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-14-2008 17:59
Dennis

I like Burr King...  Very robust... Lots of options..  I have large pedistal disc grinder and one 4" belt grinder.

The belt grinder is used to finish backing strip removal and prep bend straps
http://burrking.thomasnet.com/viewitems/belt-grinders/velvet-touch-two-wheel-belt-grinders-model-960-400?&forward=1

The disc grinder is good for finishing bevels produced by the track burner, making nice root faces and a bunch of other things
http://burrking.thomasnet.com/viewitems/disc-grinders/model-20-disc-grinder?&forward=1

They are beasts..... Will never wear out... But take extra training because they will also remove fingers. 
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-14-2008 23:28
Hello Dennis, "Ellis" also makes a pretty decent unit as well as "Wilton Square Wheel". So check them all out and see which one will fit your needs best. The nice thing about the Ellis is that the motor is at the back of the machine and allows really good access to the grinding portion of the front of the machine. The particular Wilton unit that I was referring to has three different diameters of wheels to allow for some flexibility regarding grinding radius, if that is an issue for you. One other consideration is belt selection, I prefer the blue belts, they tend to last considerably longer than many of the others. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / WTB Belt sander